It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insanely stupid Alaska Airlines commercial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This commercial is being shown a lot lately. The first time I saw this travesty, I thought it was someone spoofing a spoof.
If that were the case, it would have actually been funny. But it's real, and it's beyond bad.

"The Safety Dance" was a pop song that came out in the early 1980s. It's a quirky, fun song. One of those songs that's fun to dance to at weddings.
(At one particular wedding reception a couple years back, I saw some normally reserved people cut loose and tear it up when Safety Dance was played late in the evening.)

So some advertising people got this demented idea that they could use the "safety dance" theme to mean "covid protection".
Get it? Our crews do the safety dance! Our passengers are also required to do the safety dance. Let's make covid awareness fun! We're all in this together!

They buthchered the lyrics in horrible, horrible ways.

Here's some of the original song lyrics:
We can dance, we can dance. Everybody look at your hands.
We can dance, we can dance. Everybody's taking a chance.

The Alaska Airlines lyrics:
And we dance, do the dance. Everybody wash some hands.
Do the dance, do the dance. While always wearing a mask.

Here is the whole commercial in all its idiotic glory:

This proves that advertising people are not clever. They're not creative. They're nuts.
Of course the commercial is being praised as brilliant and genius in the blog-o-sphere, which is to be expected.
Alaska Airlines is even providing a "making of our Safety Dance commercial" video on thier website.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It's a commercial. Many commercials are dumb nowadays. Actually even though it is stupid, it seems pretty well made.

It is less stupid than Tony the Tiger dancing.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Not excusing this, but... if I had the job of convincing people to voluntarily get back onto airplanes, I'd be scraping bottom too!

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
once they start requiring vaccinations to fly... Im out. no more flights for me. this is coming folks..you may not be able to freely travel between stated via the road either. Not sure if that's doom pron, but I believe its coming. they will basically TAKE your rights to keep you safe. watch out what you ask for. Its sad to see people put their own chains on!!

a reply to: ColeYounger

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Welcome to dystopia.

Check this sh!t out:

www.espn.com...

7 members from the LA Clippers staff are being punished for getting together and eating and drinking on New Year’s Eve. They had contact tracers on and also were ratted out by other people for not masking up.

And that AA commercial made me want to vomit.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's a commercial. Many commercials are dumb nowadays. Actually even though it is stupid, it seems pretty well made.

They have always been look at some old ones.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

it seems pretty well made.

They didn't even write lyrics that rhyme.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Welcome to dystopia.

Check this sh!t out:

www.espn.com...

7 members from the LA Clippers staff are being punished for getting together and eating and drinking on New Year’s Eve. They had contact tracers on and also were ratted out by other people for not masking up.

And that AA commercial made me want to vomit.

They needed to be governors or Senators before they could do that, how silly of them!

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Orwell also said that "advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket."

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Pauly Shore did it better

Bio Dome

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: daboxfan
once they start requiring vaccinations to fly... Im out. no more flights for me. this is coming folks..you may not be able to freely travel between stated via the road either. Not sure if that's doom pron, but I believe its coming. they will basically TAKE your rights to keep you safe. watch out what you ask for. Its sad to see people put their own chains on!!

Ryanair in the UK have a "jab and go" strapline at the moment. Jesus wept, it will attract a certain demographic.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru
Ryanair in the UK have a "jab and go" strapline at the moment. Jesus wept, it will attract a certain demographic.

They're called the little "pricks".

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

it seems pretty well made.

They didn't even write lyrics that rhyme.

The people dancing are doing a good job. Maybe their faces are scarred all up under the masks and they got the actors for cheap. Scarred up from wearing masks all the time. I doubt if those people are airline workers.

Have you watched the commercials on TV these days, they suck.....especially the Liberty insurance commercials.
edit on 4-1-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: rickymouse

They have always been look at some old ones.

Yeah, like the McDs commercials, those burgers look so big and appealing in the commercials. When you get them they look tiny and squished.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Have you watched the commercials on TV these days, they suck.....especially the Liberty insurance commercials.

Agreed! Whoever came up with the Limu Emu thing should be incarcerated.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That commercial so cool, critically instructive an the songs so catchy that it gave me ear worm, that I fore go any sense of my free will or individuality. It makes me want to move to Alaska, in hopes of receiving free money just to live there, and be at ease thanks to my insecure view on life an death thanks to the safety dance.

Looking forward to have a giant thermometer shoved up to insure proper screening, with "what, what, in the butt" or "Like a Virgin" playing.
edit on 4-1-2021 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   

One of the things I was taught, way, way, back, when taking classes in journalism, was that the more humorous, the more sexual, and the more a commercial insults your intelligence, the more effective it is.

So maybe they were going for two out of three.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You’re here talking about it, showing it to people outside of Alaska Airlines market.

Looks like it worked. That’s good advertising.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Good lord that was bad.
Men Without Hats must have really needed the money to give em rights to the song.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join