It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain guitarist Leslie West, R.I.P.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   
West co-founded the band Mountain in the '60s.
All the big name guitarists were fans of Leslie, from Hendrix to the British guitar gods.
He suffered a heart attack the other night at his home in Florida, and passed away at the hospital.

I believe he was 75.

I can't post any YouTube videos with this phone browser. Maybe someone could be kind enough to post some of Leslie's songs.
Thanks.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
West co-founded the band Mountain in the '60s.
All the big name guitarists were fans of Leslie, from Hendrix to the British guitar gods.
He suffered a heart attack the other night at his home in Florida, and passed away at the hospital.

I believe he was 75.

I can't post any YouTube videos with this phone browser. Maybe someone could be kind enough to post some of Leslie's songs.
Thanks.

He had so much power and energy into his playing. Time for me to recheck youtube. If I can I'll post some youtubes

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

2020 rolls on...

Great song, and if you bother to listen to the others, then you will understand how good he really was.

Damn this year!

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I don't know much Mountain stuff but I do love Nantucket Sleighride , here's Leslie West performing the great Sleighride in 2003.

Awesome.

RiP Leslie.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
RIP Leslie!

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I didn't know about it and I was playing their music on the computer one hour ago. Leslie found the way to say goodbye to me.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
youtu.be...

His homage to The Beatles:
youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

One of my all time favorites, definitely a huge influence on my playing. RIP Leslie West!

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sad to hear, he was a great musician. RIP Leslie

I first heard Mountain when my brother got drafted towards the end of Vietnam, being the good little brother I was, I confiscated his 45’s, 8 tracks and black light posters for safe keeping. Mississippi Queen was one of the 45’s I played over and over.

Great story on how he got his signature tone.

“Mountain's first gig was at Fillmore West in 1969,” remembers Leslie West. “I had been using Marshall amps, and that’s what I expected to find when I opened a bunch of cartons that had arrived from the airport, but instead I got a Sunn - and it wasn’t even a guitar amp. "The cartons contained a Sunn Coliseum P.A. head and four 4x12 cabinets, and I thought, ‘There’s no way I can get a good tone out of this thing.’ But the head had four microphone inputs and a master volume control, and when I plugged in and turned it up I got this amazing tone, which became my sound. "And remember, this was years before amps had master volume controls. The head had huge transformers and gigantic KT88 tubes, and the cabinets were loaded with Eminence speakers, which never hurt your ears even with the treble all the way up. That’s the amp I used on Mountain Climbing, which included ‘Mississippi Queen.’”

edit on 26-12-2020 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Their albums had cool artwork:

new topics

top topics

join