It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COVID cancels Isle of Man TT for 2021...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The irony of this is hilarious. So the Isle of Man TT is being cancelled for 2021 due to Covid as event organizers are worried about safety.

For those that aren't familiar with the Isle of Man TT, it is a motorcycle race around the Isle of Man; an island off the cost of Ireland. It is the longest running motor race in the world and generally considered the most bat sh*t crazy thing man can do. It also is considered the most dangerous race (sport) ever. More than 250 people have died racing in the Isle of Man TT since it's inception 100 years ago. Pretty much every year of the race there are a couple of fatalities.

What makes it so dangerous is that the race isn't actually on a race track, but literally a race on public roads through small villages and around a mountain. The riders are pushing 200 mph on two lane roads, few barriers.... curbs, lightpoles, mailboxes, stone walls, farm animals, etc. One mistake and your dead. The other crazy thing is that spectators line the street just feet away from motorcycles approaching 200 mph. The bikes are going so fast that they literally get airborne over the crests of some hills.

Something tells me the people that go to race in or watch the Isle of Man aren't worried about safety....

Some favorite videos of fly bys. Seeing this live is on my bucket list. A race like this could not be held in the US or most of the rest to the world now due to liability.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Outstanding! Sure we'll let you break your neck in a motorcycle race, but God forbid you get the sniffles doing it.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Outstanding! Sure we'll let you break your neck in a motorcycle race, but God forbid you get the sniffles doing it.

Exactly. The racers are exponentially far more at risk of being splatted against a wall at 150mph than dying from Covid. Figure maybe 200 guys are crazy enough to do this race with 1 or 2 dying every year, is far worse odds than Covid will ever be for them.

The spectators most certainly understand calculated risk too. The little plastic rope barrier isn't going to stop a motorcycle careening out of control at 150mph either.

But yeah, let's try to stop the sniffles...

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is the same country that raised the cigarette rate to 21 and alcohol to 21, used to be both 18 at one point in time.. but will allow you to die for your country at 18! what did you expect?

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Wearing masks under your helmet may result in fogging of your lens racers be warned lolololol what a pile of trash, let them race blowholes

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

This is honestly all i can think now when it comes to covid logic.
edit on 6/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It's like when the instructor contacted us to see if we'd let our son full-contact spar at his martial arts tournament yesterday.

There were parents who still held their kids out despite letting them go to compete in other portions. We figured he was there with a bunch of other people anyhow and he would have to wear the full helmet with plastic face shield ... might as well have that mask on, right?

Yeah, just don't see how sitting on motor bike and jamming around the road at 200mph is going to be too risky because of COVID.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The TT is actually quite safe as the "real" racers know what they are doing. Of course there are accidents, but that's to be expected. There are accidents in cave diving, moutaineering and bowls. I heard of someone who put their back out in Tiddywinks.

The Covid cancellation is probably due more to the crowds the event attracts.
edit on 7/12/2020 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Good find; doesn't make any sense to me.

Most professional sports through the bulk of 2020 in the US have carried on, save without any spectators. Of course, there are still people at the event, not just the players and their supporting staff, but someone needs to work the cameras, the microphones, and remember to turn the stadium lights on.

So why can't they do the same for this race: continue to hold the event, but only with support staff, film & audio techs, etc present?

Maybe it's not financially viable in some way without fans present (but do they even pay admission) ?

Just another instance of an arbitrary head scratcher to add to 2020's lengthy list.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
The TT is actually quite safe as the "real" racers know what they are doing. Of course there are accidents, but that's to be expected. There are accidents in cave diving, moutaineering and bowls. I heard of someone who put their back out in Tiddywinks.

The Covid cancellation is probably due more to the crowds the event attracts.

Yeah, I know it is more out of concern for the spectators / crowd. However, even the spectators are put in pretty risky positions watching the race as there are no barriers and they are literally feet from the riders whizzing by a high speeds. They are already taking a calculated risk spectating, so I figure they can decide if COvid is a risk or not.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

The TT is a bucket list item for me as well. It is a absolutely insane race and I watch it every year on TV.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
As a sportsbike fan, I can only hang my head in disgust.

This is really going to hurt the economy there.

posted on Dec, 7 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

They should do it anyways, if they can play with bouncy balls and box then they should be able to race.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Not going to post some of the more graphic/fatal IOM TT crashes, but this is the most famous/spectacular IOM TT crash.

He surprisingly survived it and back at 100%.

These guys are focused. About the only guys I think have bigger balls are those loons who free climb El Capitan with no ropes or something.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
that's a shame
on-bike videos of a blast round the TT course with a top rider are spectacular and intense

seems impossible anyone can ride at that speed along those lanes and roads, through alternating deep shadow and
bright sections. good stuff.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
wish there was an accurate vr sim on isle of man Id love to see these guys "simulate" the race and talk smack to each other COD lobby style just for fun or maybe even charity.

posted on Dec, 8 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
wish there was an accurate vr sim on isle of man Id love to see these guys "simulate" the race and talk smack to each other COD lobby style just for fun or maybe even charity.

There are a few complete lap videos...

This is one of my favorites.

Michael Dunlop vs Guy Martin. From Start. 20 min lap. Try watching without getting sick...

This one is narrated. Racer Peter Hickman talks about each section of the track of his race and the thoughts going through his head.

new topics

top topics

join