It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do deaf people do about reading lips?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I never thought about this. Definitely a Social Issue.

What are deaf people doing to read lips when everybody is wearing a mask?

Wow! That has to be terrible. Like losing another sense.

And how would you compensate for it? Computer tablet? Dry-erase board?
edit on 5-12-2020 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I’ve thought about this. But from a child’s perspective.
Like a baby’s. We are concerned about the detrimental long-term effects of the virus, okay. The vaccine, perhaps.

But what about the psychological and sociological impact on babies and very young children not being able to contextually realize their world through facial cues and specifically eye and mouth (in conjunction) interaction...

Edit: to your post, there has been already at least one con out hmthere feigning ASL to the public on behalf of their officials... unbeknownst they didn’t know ASL. Until uh. Um someone spoke up

edit on 5-12-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   

edit on 5-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: rikku

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I am losing my hearing in my left ear (Meniere's disease) and it sucks I can usually hear enough and see their lip movement and make it out. But persons mumbling through a mask and not seeing lip movement makes it much worse. I can only imagine what persons with complete hearing loss are going through.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Yes its difficult also another factor do you realize that alot of our communication is based off facial expressions. If you cant read facial expressions its very easy to misunderstand whats being said. We see it here when wrighting very difficut to determine if someone is being sarcastic without visual clues.

And for the deaf they used to be able to just read lips for news briefings now they cant and most of the press have not adapted by providing sign language. My cousin has started using pockettalk its a translator and he said it made a huge difference because he can just read what they said. As with everything people adapt and find ways to cope.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I can hardly hear anyone anymore. The mumbling, all of the lack of cues I must have taken for granted before.
I stay at home more and more, dread going out. It's like a dystopian hell, just seeing zombies moping around everywhere in masks. Especially children. If I wasn't so pissed off about it all the time, I'd be one of the depressed ones. I feel for the chronically depressed and what this does to their world. The hard of hearing already feel isolated.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

They take a couple of steps back so that the other person can safely take their mask off. Or they simple use one of the many suitable phone apps to convert speech to readable text.

Or they use some form of signed assistance.

Failing that, pen and paper.

Most people who are deaf or who have some hearing loss are smart and capable. Masks are an inconvenience to them, but they are readily able to find solutions that can overcome it.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

That doesn't work in many situations.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So how do you account for their disabilities? Is it fair?

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:04 AM
link   
There was a piece on the BBC news about this yesterday.

It was being suggested that people use see through masks for that reason.

Can see this being picked up by the PTB but more for identification purposes not to help the deaf.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

I have two young girls, and for this exact reason I have not and will not wear a mask

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Our local rules allow us to shift the mask for speaking purposes, and I always do. I don't expect to be heard otherwise.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'm hearing impaired. I can't read lips. Learn to sign. I know I'm still trying. I can understand the basics and deaf friends, but it gets tough at times.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: KandinskyChaos

I can hardly hear anyone anymore. The mumbling, all of the lack of cues I must have taken for granted before.
I stay at home more and more, dread going out. It's like a dystopian hell, just seeing zombies moping around everywhere in masks. Especially children. If I wasn't so pissed off about it all the time, I'd be one of the depressed ones. I feel for the chronically depressed and what this does to their world. The hard of hearing already feel isolated.

I totally understand that feeling, I know there are loads of depressed people, and if you have this on top of everything else. It can sneak up on you. Sometimes when I fall asleep on my good ear and I can't hear #, then somebody walks in the room and I jump like a dumbass, I have grown to hate that. The constant ringing wears on me, one morning I woke up and it was gone, when it came back it was so frustrating
edit on 5-12-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
I'm hearing impaired. I can't read lips. Learn to sign. I know I'm still trying. I can understand the basics and deaf friends, but it gets tough at times.
Hang in there.
Good on ya. This is a rough time for most but I can’t imagine what it’s like not being able to communicate “normally”.

Edit: and I mean under normal circumstances

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Damn never thought of that...my buddies ex girlfriend is mostly deaf but she's such a cutie now I do wonder how she's doing thanks!

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Masks with a clear window or the clear face/sneeze guard types have been used in the UK in care homes. More recenlt a clear/non misting mask has been invented. Sign Language interpreters and the like are available (free) forgoing to Drs hospital, shopping etc...there's also assitive tech that converts speech into BSL/ASL based words in S-V-O form but it's not perfect.

It depends on the person and when/how they acquired Deafness. As there's various grades of language and sign language devlopment plus makaton (easier to learn version of sign language) is used in a lot of kids TV shows already

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Actually, as someone is is partially deaf, every time they have social interaction, they want to scream.

It is horribly frustrating, and evidently, you have no idea.

It makes me not want to conduct any transactions or communications.

Masks are ridiculous, end of the story.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Yes it is

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm not deaf but have an auditory processing disorder and can't retain much I hear at the best of times so the mask just destroy communication for me. I don't look at eyes and get nothing from them, just mouths.

There are all sorts of people being affected by this and I never even thought about little kids growing up in it. So sad.
edit on 5-12-2020 by igloo because: spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join