It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody here have experience with owning German Shepherds?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'm going out to have a look at a few pups over the weekend. I'm thinking of bringing one in once I move into a new house later this month but from what I've read and from work friends, this breed seems to suffer leg and back issues at the age of 10 onwards. I mean look it's 10 years time but there's all this talk about pure breeds having health issues that may occur earlier in life. I'm an avid camper so would be great to have a dog that's able to keep up and accompany me on my hikes. Anybody have any personal experiences? feedback? Are they expensive to maintain?

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I wouldn't suggest a German Shepard , dont get me wrong they are great dogs intelligent and Very physically capable in there prime .

But there bodies quickly begin to break down after age 6-7 hip dysplasia I believe they call it .

I have a female Blue nose Pitbull , she is very intelligent and loyal not to mention made of muscle . A pit can be any kind of Dog you need it to be so long as you get them from a puppy.

But honestly if you do a lot of hiking and traveling I would suggest a Black Lab.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

But there bodies quickly begin to break down after age 6-7 hip dysplasia I believe they call it .

Dangit yes I heard about this... they're such beautiful dogs but I couldn't bare to deal with this in near future.... I had somebody else mention the 'hip' issues as well.

I have a female Blue nose Pitbull , she is very intelligent and loyal not to mention made of muscle . A pit can be any kind of Dog you need it to be so long as you get them from a puppy.

Yep, a Pit is on my alternative list alongside Rhodesian Ridgeback. Thanks for your response.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
this breed seems to suffer leg and back issues at the age of 10 onwards. I mean look it's 10 years time ...

They do. And 10 years from now, that bond will tear part of your soul away while you watch him suffer ... knowing you should end his agony.

Get yourself a goldendoodle. Put in the research and pick the blend. You won't be disappointed. The full-size make great outdoor companions ... super (natural) hunters. Probably won't bite your neighbors ... probably. They come with a grooming responsibility ... even though they're hypoallergenic ... you can't neglect their hair or it will mat.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Please, I would like to ask you to visit animal shelters before you get a dog.

Rescue a dog, be a hero. Please.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

I wouldn't suggest a German Shepard , dont get me wrong they are great dogs intelligent and Very physically capable in there prime .

But honestly if you do a lot of hiking and traveling I would suggest a Black Lab.

I'd have to disagree.

If you buy from a proven breeder (we bought from the Amish in Indiana with our last dog), you won't have any more problems than any other dog.

I also had two war dogs in the army from reputable breeders and they lived beyond 10 years
I still miss them.

I have a mutt as well (mostly American Foxhound) currently and a German Shepherd. My mutt is lovable and my best buddy, but if I'm in any hinky situation, I want my German Shepherd with me.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Go grab a mutt from the pound and give it a good life.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

They do. And 10 years from now, that bond will tear part of your soul away while you watch him suffer ... knowing you should end his agony.
a reply to: Snarl

Agreed it is a terrible thing to witness , I think it's because they have so much Wolf DNA left in them there bodies just do not last long.

link   
They are a lot of work but worth every bit of it. I'll be 100% honest with you though, they're better off in pairs than being a lone pet. My GSDs all come with a hip guarantee and it hasn't been an issue. My last GSD was a male that loved attention and lived 7 years before passing from cancer. I currently have a female thats far more aloof than any animal I've ever owned. Both raised in identical conditions..there is no guarantee that you'll get that perfect canine companion.

As far as cost...I never got caught up in the gourmet dog food thing. My dogs have always had Iams and I treat them with Ivermectin to prevent heartworm. So in all honesty...maybe $50 a month in food. Then whatever you decide to spend in toys and treats. Buy a Furminator and get rid of all your black clothing now. Its off limits regardless of the brushing regiment.

link   

We had an old German Shepherd at the shop I used to work at. The back half of his body stopped working. He'd # himself while lying down and stumble around trying to stand. The owner wanted to put him down, his wife didn't want to so they tried getting a wheelchair for him, that didn't work well. In the end they kept him alive a few more months longer than necessary and the dog suffered almost every day.

That being said, their nephew, a friend of mine runs

www.instagram.com...

Yeah, yeah I know it's Instagram, but he's probably the most passionate dude i've ever met about German shepherds. If you can work out the Instagram thingy, that guy knows more than anyone i've met about German shepherds and he's always happy to talk about them.

edit on 13/11/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I've been told by a few friends to consider this.... I guess I grew up with a German Shepherd, there's a strong childhood tie there... but I may consider this... so many need good homes so may consider visiting a shelter as well.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
They are a lot of work but worth every bit of it. I'll be 100% honest with you though, they're better off in pairs than being a lone pet. My GSDs all come with a hip guarantee and it hasn't been an issue. My last GSD was a male that loved attention and lived 7 years before passing from cancer. I currently have a female thats far more aloof than any animal I've ever owned. Both raised in identical conditions..there is no guarantee that you'll get that perfect canine companion.

As far as cost...I never got caught up in the gourmet dog food thing. My dogs have always had Iams and I treat them with Ivermectin to prevent heartworm. So in all honesty...maybe $50 a month in food. Then whatever you decide to spend in toys and treats. Buy a Furminator and get rid of all your black clothing now. Its off limits regardless of the brushing regiment.

You should look into raw or at least human food.

I was surprised that feeding my dogs raw meat, organs and ground meat is actually cheaper than when I was buying them crazy trendy food...

And, they love it!! Even the chicken feet.....

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I love my dog, German Shepherd.

He is the smartest, funniest dog I've ever own.

They have a sense of humor.

Mine loves Elmo dolls.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I recommend a border collie or australian shepherd. I had a BC/Aussie mix and she lived to be 15 and loved being outside and hiking to the very end. They tolerate temperature extremes (even the 90s) very well and can walk/run for miles. They may not look mean or tough but they are very protective and alert and tend to be one of the smartest breeds. They also don't have any wide spread genetic problems.

I also recommend getting a rescue. I hope you have years of love with whatever dog you choose.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

They do tend toward hip problems and they are very high energy in my experience. Very beautiful dogs and some people are big fans.

They need discipline and training beyond what your average dog does in my opinion.

Labs are high energy, but easier on the owner I think. A mixed breed with lab is a good way to have a longer and healthier life for your companion. I think most standard size dogs will keep up with you on hikes aside from those with obvious physical limitations.

I've only got my dogs from the shelter. Too many great dogs without homes for me to pay a fortune for a pure bred house pet.
edit on 11/13/20 by Ksihkehe because: Typo

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

I also had a Pit/black lab mix and she was great outdoors and on camping trips except she was not very tolerant of temps outside 50-80 degrees. But she was so smart and sweet and super healthy.

I would recommend any pit mix and the beauty of the mix is you can always call them the other breed to get around any stupid anti-pit laws you may run into.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I loved our German Shepard and was broken when we had to put her down, and yea it was from the hip thing too. Have had a couple of Labs they are generally good dogs, border collies are amazing dogs. Have to agree though visit a local shelter or 2 and see if you can rescue one.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I didn’t know you could be serious and ask a real question.

Never owned Shepards, but hear they are great dogs.

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

I didn’t know you could be serious and ask a real question.

Never owned Shepards, but hear they are great dogs.

He breaks Character every now and again allowing the real him to shine through.

Don't worry he does not actually believe the Leftist Crap he post , I'm convinced he does it just to get a rise out of us.

Isn't that right Southern

posted on Nov, 13 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

a reply to: Snarl

Agreed it is a terrible thing to witness , I think it's because they have so much Wolf DNA left in them there bodies just do not last long.

I read it was an aesthetics thing with the American show ring. American show standard wanted to really exaggerate that sloping topline, and it wreaked havoc on the hips and back. I've thought the European standard was somewhat different and the topline was less pronounced, so perhaps the dogs with more European breeding might be more sound in the hip department?

Sometimes, too you will find that dogs with different breeder focuses will have different soundness. If you find a breeder who produces for work utility, those dogs might be better bred for long-term soundness than one that produces for the aesthetics (to show).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join