It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 update has just about wiped out my computer.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 01:07 AM
link   
A very long 9 hour windows update on 10/12/20 just about wiped out my Lenovo computer.

This update now blocks google chrome and Firefox from connecting to the internet.

I have done everything i can find to do on the internet to restore Firefox that i have used for over 20 years

The only way i can use Firefox is on a old desk top computer with Linux mint that i had around.

its very interesting what you get when you do a web search with MS edge Vs fiefox

This last update Microsoft Edge web browser has taken over and will not let any other web Browser work.

When i typed Firefox into Microsoft Edge the first thing i get is www.microsoft.com...

I have now ordered a new laptop with Linux mint on it.

No more windows computers.

As soon as i get the new laptop this old Lenovo ideapad 320 will become a Linux mint computer after I WIPE Windows 10 off it.

Sorry about the post as i never hit post yet some how it posted.

edit on 18-10-2020 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2020 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Why. In. Hell. Are. You. Using. Windows?

Seriously, I do not understand why people are still ****ing around with Windows®? I could almost say that you deserve whatever happened to you.

It was about 2008. I was leaving my office for a meeting and I went to turn off my computer. Had to be on the road quickly and I needed my computer. As I started the shutdown procedure, I got a message:

Windows is updating. Do not turn off your computer. This may take several minutes.

I didn't ask for an update. I didn't acknowledge an update. I was not given the option of postponing the update.

I was late for my meeting.

I was pissed.

The next day, I installed Ubuntu. I have not used a Microsoft product since then and I have not missed it. I have used many different distros of Linux since that first installation and I have watched the ecosystem mature amazingly. There is literally a Linux distro for anyone out there. The one that I recommend for folks like you is Zorin OS. Look, you can follow the link below, download the image for the OS, put it on a USB stick and boot from that to try it out. Won't do anything to your computer. If you like, you can install it.

Any kind of app you want is available. Most all of them are without cost. You can donate if you want.

Go check out Zorin OS. Seriously. Now. Please. I"m tired of seeing and hearing these kinds of posts.
:
edit on 2020 10 18 by incoserv because: what's it to ya?

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yep. 2004 is the worst version so far. When applied to servers it can wipe out the storage spaces subsystem. On the desktop it runs like crap.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
For good Linux laptops this company sells good ones cheap.

laptopmountain.com...

one reason they can sell cheap is Micro# does not get a kickback for using Windows OS that can rise the cost of a computer by around $75+

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Seriously, I do not understand why people are still ****ing around with Windows®? I could almost say that you deserve whatever happened to you.

Still using Windows myself, because Linux can't quite seem to stop #ing around and make a user-friendly, familiar Windows-LIKE OS. I'm not a coder. I'm not going to be a coder. I don't WANT to code, I don't understand # past the age of HTML (dating myself here, too bad for you) and thus, anything that requires "functional programming know-how", which is....essentially all Linux versions as far as I can tell -- and I've gotten pissed off enough times at Windows to try various Linux versions -- ain't for moi.

Not wowed by Linux by any means. Nerds can have it. Windows might suck, but at least I understand the damn system.
edit on 10/18/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

But can it play Crisis?

seriously the bad thing about Linux is trying to get games to work.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Still using Windows myself, because Linux can't quite seem to stop #ing around and make a user-friendly, familiar Windows-LIKE OS. I'm not a coder. I'm not going to be a coder. I don't WANT to code, I don't understand # past the age of HTML (dating myself here, too bad for you) and thus, anything that requires "functional programming know-how", which is....essentially all Linux versions as far as I can tell -- and I've gotten pissed off enough times at Windows to try various Linux versions -- ain't for moi.

Not wowed by Linux by any means. Nerds can have it. Windows might suck, but at least I understand the damn system.

Imagine if you felt that way about your car. But you don't. You actually had to LEARN TO DRIVE and GOT A LICENSE.

Again, ZorinOS is about as "user friendly" as you're going to get. If you're happy with MS products, well good for you. But the OP is clearly not, and this thread is about the OP's problem and needs, not yours.

There are good, viable alternatives out there. The fact that you don't want to make a little effort to learn about them says more about you than it does about the software.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sakrateri

But can it play Crisis?

I don't play games. Wouldn't know. My computer is a tool, not a toy.
edit on 2020 10 18 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Redundancy is the key.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Still using Windows myself, because Linux can't quite seem to stop #ing around and make a user-friendly, familiar Windows-LIKE OS

They can't . Microsoft IP and all

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 04:40 AM
link   

But can it play Crisis?

From the very first PCs onward , they have been tailored for that one purpose.
Gaming.
Now , what were you saying ?

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

This last update Microsoft Edge web browser has taken over and will not let any other web Browser work.

What ?
You mean I have been using a fake Firefox for years ?

You are really going to be lost with Linux.
Take some classes first

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I've been doing hard shutdowns for months to avoid the updates.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If you don’t like windows, macOS is the best for ya if you’re aren’t wanting to relearn. It’s a little different to Windows, but only takes a little playing around to get used to the layout of the OS. Plus, no more forced updates.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I've got 2 Lenovos, identical. One is metered network, one is not. Guess which one......

OP, you are one of the lucky ones. I lost the ability to delete files or create folders. Apparently, what I have on the computer is now static.

I'm thinking that a full rest of the OS and setting it to metered network. Before they take that away too.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Well maybe ya just don’t properly know how to shut that crap man.
I have windows 10 and have zero problems bro.
If you want help just pm me dude.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   

For anyone wanting to try an alternative OS to Windows
I recommend going to :distrowatch.com...
If you don't need an OS with a lot of eye candy
and just want a down to Earth machine, try
Manjaro Linux with the Mate desktop environment.

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I don't have any probs with Windows 10, maybe your PC/Laptop just isn't upto the task or you have dodgy virus/malware messing with your Computer?

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

But can it play Crisis?

From the very first PCs onward , they have been tailored for that one purpose.
Gaming.
Now , what were you saying ?

Uh... I'm saying that I don't know because I don't game with my computer.

edit on 2020 10 18 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I would be REALLY helpful if you could report which windows update (or updates) caused the problems you're experiencing.
My WIn10 machine wet through a very long update process, yet all my third party software still works.
Wondering what is out there that's coming to destroy my machine.
Thanks.

ganjoa

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join