It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisville and family of Breonna Taylor announce settlement in wrongful death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Louisville Mayor Greg Fisher, civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, and Breonna Taylor's mother were among those who spoke at a news conference announcing a $12 million settlement in the family's wrongful death lawsuit. Police reforms will be enacted as part of the deal after Taylor, 26, was shot and killed in a police raid on her home last spring. Watch a portion of their remarks.

So how do people feel about this? I think the data came forward that even though it was a no knock warrant the officers did knock and said they were the police. Since no one answered as per the warrant they had the authority to kick the door in and were met with gun fire from Breonna's boy friend. The police exchanged fire and Breonna was shot and killed in that exchange.

The warrant was issued because it seems Breonna had been using her place as a drug drop off with her boyfriend being a dealer...

So do you all see this payout as justified or is it just to feed the angry masses...They did say they would continue to push for prosecution of the officers involved. I'm personally not a fan of a no knock warrant and its use is most likely used too much and should be used for only high risk cases, but I do not think the police were NOT out of line in this situation even though Breonna was a death that should not have happened, but then who killed her...her boy friend who started to shoot first to the cop's bullet that hit her?

edit on 15-9-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I see Ben Crump's big ugly head sitting there...

Moral of the story for anyone with a brain.. Teach your children not to sleep with drug dealing thugs, they might just get caught up in a crossfire of bullets because the boyfriend started shooting first.

No-Knock warrants have been successful, just like Stop & Frisk, so lets not let one successful black girl who decided to date a thug end our successful solutions.
edit on 15-9-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Moral of the story for anyone with a brain.. Teach your children not to sleep with drug dealing thugs, they might just get caught up in a crossfire of bullets because the boyfriend started shooting first.

No-Knock warrants have been successful, just like Stop & Frisk, so lets not let one successful black girl who decided to date a thug end our successful solutions.

The shooter wasn't a drug dealer. Taylor's ex was the drug dealer and was in a house miles away. The shooter and current boyfriend was squeaky clean and even had a legal CCW license. He shot the cops because he thought they were home invaders after they stupidly broke down a door and swarmed the residence without announcing themselves as police. Had his aim been better, justice would have been served here.

There are reasons the Taylor incident hasn't been the point story for the media or BLM, with pieces of human filth like George Floyd being that public face... neither side of the argument actually wants to lose the Unconstitutional tool of no-knock warrants and this situation was clearly independent of race, so they haven't made nearly as huge a deal of this killing as should have been made.
edit on 15-9-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thanks for breaking it down. I was misinformed. But there's a reason no-knock warrants have to be used, and Taylor's parents pledging for police reform isn't going to make a difference. Unfortunately, there's a reason such actions have to be taken.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The shooter wasn't a drug dealer. Taylor's ex was the drug dealer and was in a house miles away. The shooter and current boyfriend was squeaky clean and even had a legal CCW license. He shot the cops because he thought they were home invaders after they stupidly broke down a door and swarmed the residence without announcing themselves as police. Had his aim been better, justice would have been served here.

There are reasons the Taylor incident hasn't been the point story for the media or BLM, with pieces of human filth like George Floyd being that public face... neither side of the argument actually wants to lose the Unconstitutional tool of no-knock warrants and this situation was clearly independent of race, so they haven't made nearly as huge a deal of this killing as should have been made.

You and I don't agree very often but I think you're spot on here

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

As successful as she might have been the cops picked her apartment for a reason....So she wasn't a dealer, but also wasn't that innocent.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I'm not sure all the details, but I believe I read that they did knock at first, I could be wrong.

so they haven't made nearly as huge a deal of this killing as should have been made.

Outside of this payment, further possible prosecution of the officers and violent protests screaming at people to say her name.

So what was the warrant issued for? I heard it was because her past boy friend was using her place as a drug drop off point.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

So what was the warrant issued for? I heard it was because her past boy friend was using her place as a drug drop off point.

You can use any place as a drug drop off point. Very commonly done with abandoned properties. Often called a "drop house", at least they used to be. Could be happening on your property and my property too, who knows.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

As successful as she might have been the cops picked her apartment for a reason....So she wasn't a dealer, but also wasn't that innocent.

That point can be argued. Considering she was not dating the person they were seeking, who actually was already in custody and no drugs or anything illegal was found at her apartment. It seems to have been a combination of no longer valid information as she was not dating the suspect and miscommunication as the suspect was already located.

There seems to be a need to always lay blame on the victim. There can be instances where mistakes are made. Hence even though they were assigned body cams they somehow did not have them and before the raid they sent the ambulance away against standard procedure. They also changed documents after the incident.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

That's what I thought as well. I read on ATS that she had drugs coming in and out of her property but got the old boyfriend confused with the new. I agree about her lack of innocence as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah this was a huge #up all around.

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as "none" By Audrey McNamara June 11, 2020 / 1:12 PM / CBS News Police in Louisville, Kentucky, released a nearly-blank incident report Wednesday from the night Breonna Taylor was fatally shot in her own apartment by officers. Despite the fact that the 26-year-old EMT was shot at least eight times during the no-knock search, the report listed Taylor's injuries as "none."

Police also checked "no" next to the box that says "forced entry" on the form, but witnesses and crime scene photos show officers used a battering ram to force entry into the apartment while Taylor was asleep.

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report - it lists her injuries as "none"
edit on 15-9-2020 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

The cops can't go in without a judge giving the no knock order. Judges, in my opinion, tend to be far more corrupt than any police department.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Now there will be people trying to rip off her family, the money will be gone quickly. Also Black Lives Matter will try to extort money...oops donations...from them saying that if it wasn't for them, they would have got nothing. When the cops shoot someone wrongfully, there is always a settlement if it can be proven there was a mistake done.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman

You can use any place as a drug drop off point. Very commonly done with abandoned properties. Often called a "drop house", at least they used to be. Could be happening on your property and my property too, who knows.

I agree, but her ex was a drug dealer, so had to suggest she didn't know if true, but there must have been some evidence to trigger the no knock warrant.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thanks for breaking it down. I was misinformed. But there's a reason no-knock warrants have to be used, and Taylor's parents pledging for police reform isn't going to make a difference. Unfortunately, there's a reason such actions have to be taken.

In turn, then, such officers executing no-knock, no-announce break-ins should be subject to the consequences of their actions in castle doctrine states. What I mean by that is, in a case where nothing illegal is discovered in a residence related to the warrant, any cops shot prior to their clearly announcing themselves as LEO are simply consequential and related to a home owner or resident properly defending themselves and their property.

Initially the state attempted to prosecute Taylor's boyfriend for defending himself and his girlfriend from invading LEOs who didn't identify themselves as officers. The charges were dropped, but honestly they never should have been issued to begin with as the boyfriend did absolutely nothing wrong. 4th Amendment assures citizens security within their own homes.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

That was the cops' allegations, zero evidence was found to support it.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
There seems to be a need to always lay blame on the victim. There can be instances where mistakes are made. Hence even though they were assigned body cams they somehow did not have them and before the raid they sent the ambulance away against standard procedure. They also changed documents after the incident.

It seems there was fault on the police...not sure with the cops involved, or other areas. Do you think there was something else going on in the warrant than what would have been just a typical event?

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Rewarding people for breaking the law? There was a gunshot before the cop started shooting I thought, how is the cop supposed to know who is shooting at him?

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
America continues to reward criminal behaviour.
They are the new heroes, it seems.

edit on 15/9/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453

It seems there was fault on the police...not sure with the cops involved, or other areas. Do you think there was something else going on in the warrant than what would have been just a typical event?

I'm not sure what else could be going on. The information regarding the warrant was made public. Straight forward but seems as if there was bad information. No denying she had dated the man awhile ago. I don't know that it wasn't supposed to be anything other than a typical raid, but appears that some mistakes were made and in turn a woman was killed.

We know ATS and the way everyone is adamant about protecting themselves, if people broke down the door at 2 am without you hearing they were police I believe most people who are legal gun owners like the boyfriend was, would shoot to protect their family.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join