It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists discover ancient Egyptian burial shaft with 13 completely sealed wooden coffins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hey ATS!

Today we have another interesting archaeological find related to ancient Egypt and its people.

Archaeologists have uncovered 13 completely sealed wooden coffins in the desert necropolis of Saqqara, Egypt, that date back around 2,500 years.

Located 19 miles south of Cairo, the vast burial complex — which features the step pyramid of Djoser and flat-roofed tombs — served the ancient capital of Memphis.

While thousands of sarcophagi have been found interred in the tomb complex, these new discoveries are rare for having remaining completely intact over the millennia.

According to the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, the collection of coffins were found stacked atop each other at the bottom of a 36 feet (11 metres) -deep burial shaft in the ancient necropolis complex.

Experts analysing the sarcophagi — which are so well-preserved that some of their original colouration can still be seen on their outsides — have concluded that the burial caskets have remained perfectly sealed since they were originally entombed.

Three sealed-up niches have also been found within the confines of the burial shaft, with the researchers expecting to find additional coffins after such have been opened, Tourism and Antiquities Minister Khaled Al-Anani told Science Alert. 'Stay tuned for the announcement of a new discovery in Saqqara,' he added, mirroring a similar teaser of further revelations from the site that features in a short video clip the minister uploaded to his twitter account.

Alongside further coffins in the sealed niches of the shaft, other discoveries that could conceivably be made at the site would be grave goods and hieroglyphs allowing the identification of the entombed individuals.

Pictured, the inside lid of one of the coffins

Many of such tombs have been found to have been previously looted, however — making the discovery of 13 completely untouched coffins special.

Located 19 miles south of Cairo, the vast burial complex of Saqqara — which features the step pyramid of Djoser and flat-roofed tombs — served the ancient Egyptian capital of Memphis.

What do you think, ATS?

How is it possible that these coffins remained untouched?

What do these new pictures tell you about the people who lived in ancient Egypt in that period?

What kind of eyes and facial features did they have?

(excuse the flat earth reference)

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Anon283799

Probably because they were normal people so not much profit going after them , for us however the looters loss is our gain as their grave goods give us more insight into the lives and deaths of everyday Egyptians , Gold is pretty to look at but personal possessions and writings hold the real value.

Still waiting for the Hall of Records to be found.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

This is an awesome discovery! But if I may offer a bit of advice to these archeologists...leave that sh*t closed until at least 2022. I think we've had enough bad juju to last us for a bit.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

That one found with the "mummy juice" in the sarcophagus that people wanted to drink... that is what caused this mess of 2020!

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

That one found with the "mummy juice" in the sarcophagus that people wanted to drink... that is what caused this mess of 2020!

I wouldn't doubt it!

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Yes, this is a great discovery, Gortex! However, like you, I also wait for the Hall of records to be found.

Great find, OP!
edit on 8-9-2020 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
S&F for later

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I can almost guarantee this 'recent' discovery was made years ago. The Egyptian authorities for antiquities are extremely closed off to the rest of the archaeology world. I'm sure when this fades from the academic news something else will come up.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Are wooden coffins “normal”?

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anon283799
Hey ATS!

Today we have another interesting archaeological find related to ancient Egypt and its people.

Archaeologists have uncovered 13 completely sealed wooden coffins in the desert necropolis of Saqqara, Egypt, that date back around 2,500 years.

Located 19 miles south of Cairo, the vast burial complex — which features the step pyramid of Djoser and flat-roofed tombs — served the ancient capital of Memphis.

While thousands of sarcophagi have been found interred in the tomb complex, these new discoveries are rare for having remaining completely intact over the millennia.

According to the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, the collection of coffins were found stacked atop each other at the bottom of a 36 feet (11 metres) -deep burial shaft in the ancient necropolis complex.

Experts analysing the sarcophagi — which are so well-preserved that some of their original colouration can still be seen on their outsides — have concluded that the burial caskets have remained perfectly sealed since they were originally entombed.

Three sealed-up niches have also been found within the confines of the burial shaft, with the researchers expecting to find additional coffins after such have been opened, Tourism and Antiquities Minister Khaled Al-Anani told Science Alert. 'Stay tuned for the announcement of a new discovery in Saqqara,' he added, mirroring a similar teaser of further revelations from the site that features in a short video clip the minister uploaded to his twitter account.

Alongside further coffins in the sealed niches of the shaft, other discoveries that could conceivably be made at the site would be grave goods and hieroglyphs allowing the identification of the entombed individuals.

Pictured, the inside lid of one of the coffins

Many of such tombs have been found to have been previously looted, however — making the discovery of 13 completely untouched coffins special.

Located 19 miles south of Cairo, the vast burial complex of Saqqara — which features the step pyramid of Djoser and flat-roofed tombs — served the ancient Egyptian capital of Memphis.

What do you think, ATS?

What do these new pictures tell you about the people who lived in ancient Egypt in that period?

What kind of eyes and facial features did they have?

(excuse the flat earth reference)

Quite possible without light, air, heat, moisture

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Cool find.

But as for:

I also wait for the Hall of records to be found.

Not that I know anything for sure, but "they" found and sequestered the "hall of records" long ago... or so the more believable conspiracy scuttlebutt has it. Us cattle just didn't hear about it.

I guess knowing, for sure, that human civilization has been rebooted numerous times can be unsettling and depressing. People would second guess the idiocy of the industrial war machine and start wondering about the fallibility of their leaders... or be despondent that they live on a naturally self cleaning rock and stop slaving for the system ... or something like that.

Hey, this IS a conspiracy site!~

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel

This is an awesome discovery! But if I may offer a bit of advice to these archeologists...leave that sh*t closed until at least 2022. I think we've had enough bad juju to last us for a bit.

originally posted by: chelsdh

Lol i was just thinking to myself, “As cool as this find is, 2020 is not the year to be opening random egyptian coffins.”
edit on 9-9-2020 by PhatalError because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It just doesn't seem to have an end in Egypt. Go any direction
from any point and dig the chances you won't find something are
thin it seems. I often wonder just how much knowledge is reserved
for the very few. As well as what they know that we never will.

This is ATS.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
"What kind of eyes and facial features did they have?"

Many have blue eyes......and facial features of many races....very interesting.

edit on 9-9-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PhatalError

“As cool as this find is, 2020 is not the year to be opening random egyptian coffins.”

No, no it is not.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yeah! Let's just open them.....
Efn send it amiright?

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I can almost guarantee this 'recent' discovery was made years ago. The Egyptian authorities for antiquities are extremely closed off to the rest of the archaeology world.

So, what do archaeology and anthropology mean to you personally? Do you care?

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

Yes, for the regular joe!

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: Aallanon

Yes, for the regular joe!

Not quite. The regular joe wasnt likely to be buried in anything, let alone a wooden sarcophagus. During the Middle Kingdom, a wooden sarcophagus was reserved for the Egyptian elite. Your regular Joe was wrapped in linen and buried in the desert with a little bit of food for their journey to the afterlife.

posted on Sep, 10 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This find is very interesting, and the coffins were not compromised, probably because they were not discovered previously and looted for the value of the artifacts and jewelry that they contained.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join