It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Never Forgot The 1960s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:31 AM
link   
youtu.be...

I am very proud of the television series I made for PBS called Making Sense of the Sixties. I had the chance to spend a year examining my youth and how I became an active member of the 60s generation. If you are from that generation or a child of the 60s, I think you would find the entire series of value. To see my other work visit www.theHoffmancollection.com

Alrighty then, here goes, I recently found this documentarian David Hoffman, I had to subscribe, things I kind of took for granted The issues faced, today are eerily reminiscent of what took place back then, off course slightly different tags , so why is this vid in the history folder, because it is history but although recent history, but the same battles, Gay RIghts . Black militant political movement, ( BLACK LIVES MATTER) women's movement,( # ME TOO) Native American movements ( STANDING ROCK)
Issues with vets ( Used as props and discarded)
Yet there are differences , for one communication is much faster and folks can organize at the drop of a dime.

youtu.be...

The generations prior to the boomers could walk into a shop or store and get hired in without a high school diploma and get on the job training. Not this 'unpaid internship" crap. Architect Albert Khan never finished high school and built skyscrapers. As a teenager, Kahn got a job at an architectural firm and went from there becoming America's number one American industrial architect of his day. This is still possible but one group blocks it so that you have to spend up to six figures paying tuition that goes into their pockets providing the necessary funds for their vacations and high standards of living.

This vid ^^ above is the clapp back at the Baby Boomers by their parents the " Greatest Generation"
pls take the time to klik vid and comment.

edit on 3-9-2020 by Spider879 because: Add content

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
.. because it is history but although recent history, but the same battles, Gay RIghts . Black militant political movement, ( BLACK LIVES MATTER) women's movement,( # ME TOO) Native American movements ( STANDING ROCK)
Issues with vets ( Used as props and discarded)

The themes are similar because those issues are being pushed today, in the first instance, by people whose minds were formed in the Sixties. As they got older, they rose to the top of the tree and became the establishment, and that is how the establishment became left-wing.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Very American
Painted with a VERY broad brush.....

But America isn't the world......So how can you compare.

Things were and are different in other parts of the world.

The UK still had food rationing till 1953/4.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

It's not looking very good overseas but we still have our freedom.

As for as far as Americans go the politicians want to take away all your freedoms and keep your slaves.

it may be hard to see at the present moment but it's coming your way.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The only parallel I see between now and the 60's is a whole whack of activism. But if you scratch beneath that superficial comparison, I cannot understand how anybody thinks the "activism" of this era is anywhere near as vital or justified as what happened in the 60's?

Fighting for ending segregation, ending inequality in education, ending unfair employment practices, ending *REAL* social injustice (1960s)....

VS.

Fighting the police, and fighting to defund police, so there will be less law enforcement presence, so criminals can move freely without having to actually stop and obey someone in a position of authority. (2020).

I wasn't around in the 1960's but from what I've read and heard, real social progress was made on legitimate issues of racial bias.

But now?? I'm trying to understand the goals of this new wave of "activism". Besides defunding the police, it sounds like the most significant gripe is economic vitality and financial success in minority communities. But this is America, nerve center of the capitalist world. Newsflash: you don't force your way into prosperity, or demonstrate your way to a better paying job. You keep what you earn, you get out what you put in, you are hired based on your qualifications and merit, etc etc etc. You are not guaranteed anything based on the color of your skin. The only color that matters now is GREEN; if you have those Benjamins, you are in like Flynn (just not the Michael variety).

If you cut through all the crap, it boils down to the "activists" of today are really upset about capitalism, and couching economic concerns in a veneer of "racial justice". To me that cheapens the real struggles and real progress that was made in the 1960's.

If you truly dislike capitalism, don't know what to say. Join forces with Bernie. I don't want to hear attacks on the fabric of capitalist society disguised as a crusade to procure equal social rights for minorities, because that is the mother of all false dichotomies. Turns out we had that struggle 50-60 years ago, and social justice prevailed. If you want more $$$ based on the color of your skin, sounds like you'd be better aligned with the guys in sheets, burning crosses in the 1960s.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
The only parallel I see between now and the 60's is a whole whack of activism. But if you scratch beneath that superficial comparison, I cannot understand how anybody thinks the "activism" of this era is anywhere near as vital or justified as what happened in the 60's?

Fighting for ending segregation, ending inequality in education, ending unfair employment practices, ending *REAL* social injustice (1960s)....

VS.

Fighting the police, and fighting to defund police, so there will be less law enforcement presence, so criminals can move freely without having to actually stop and obey someone in a position of authority. (2020).

I wasn't around in the 1960's but from what I've read and heard, real social progress was made on legitimate issues of racial bias.

But now?? I'm trying to understand the goals of this new wave of "activism". Besides defunding the police, it sounds like the most significant gripe is economic vitality and financial success in minority communities. But this is America, nerve center of the capitalist world. Newsflash: you don't force your way into prosperity, or demonstrate your way to a better paying job. You keep what you earn, you get out what you put in, you are hired based on your qualifications and merit, etc etc etc. You are not guaranteed anything based on the color of your skin. The only color that matters now is GREEN; if you have those Benjamins, you are in like Flynn (just not the Michael variety).

If you cut through all the crap, it boils down to the "activists" of today are really upset about capitalism, and couching economic concerns in a veneer of "racial justice". To me that cheapens the real struggles and real progress that was made in the 1960's.

If you truly dislike capitalism, don't know what to say. Join forces with Bernie. I don't want to hear attacks on the fabric of capitalist society disguised as a crusade to procure equal social rights for minorities, because that is the mother of all false dichotomies. Turns out we had that struggle 50-60 years ago, and social justice prevailed. If you want more $$$ based on the color of your skin, sounds like you'd be better aligned with the guys in sheets, burning crosses in the 1960s.

I marched for all the above in '67...Chicago, Detroit, Ann Arbor.

Thanks. We started the multi-colored beachball going....✌️

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened
Or maybe the further back in time and space, things seems heroic with hindsight, but I can guarantee, the same opposition pro and con existed back then, family members who lived through that era, told me that quite a few folks hated King, a non militant, and called his whole movement "Marxist Inspired"

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Wow!! You were really a part of all that???... , all I can say is ... thanks for being of service..
😎
edit on 3-9-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There are comparisons .
BLM - Original Black Panthers
Antifa - Weather Underground
New Democratic Party - Communist Party movement .
Obama's appeasement of Iran - Carter's appeasement of Iran .(the 70s , but the 70s were just a continuation of the 60s)
The list goes on....
and on...

Wow.
Thanks for the memories.

edit on 9/3/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/3/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Wow!! You were really a part of all that???... , all I can say is ... thanks for being of service..
😎

I did, and am forever...that 14 year old kid who grew long hair, didn't want to come home in a box, ltr burned my draft card, girlfriend burned her bra...

I was at Kent State, Berkeley...and am still... A White Panther (look it up)

We paved the way for the "people" to have a voice. One that counted for the future.

Not in the world of our parents

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
1968 was the defining year of the 1960's world wide unrest & student rebellions.

1965-1972 pretty much experienced lots of civil unrest throughout the country (64 )Wattts, (65)Harlem, (70) Kent State,
MalcomX murdered 1965 (by Farrakhan?).

Take a look at what we went through in 1968: massacre in Mexico - then the Olympics there, MLK shot, RFK shot,D.C. riots and burning, yippie riots in Chicago, more riots in Florida for the RNC, student rebellion in Poland, Viet Cong executed in Vietnam, Tet offensive on TV.

And then there was 1972 George Wallace shot, Munich Olympics terrorists, Watergate....

Suffice to say, those of us living through & cognizant of those events have seen too much.

Yet still, nothing like the coordinated insurgency and media complicity that is happening today.

gannjoa

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
1968 was the defining year of the 1960's world wide unrest & student rebellions.

Take a look at what we went through in 1968: massacre in Mexico - then the Olympics there, MLK shot, RFK shot,D.C. riots and burning, yippie riots in Chicago, more riots in Florida for the RNC, student rebellion in Poland, Viet Cong executed in Vietnam, Tet offensive on TV.

Here is a good place for people to look;
On this day in 1968

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Newsflash: you don't force your way into prosperity, or demonstrate your way to a better paying job. You keep what you earn, you get out what you put in, you are hired based on your qualifications and merit, etc etc etc. You are not guaranteed anything based on the color of your skin.

Quoted for TRUTH.

If you don't get hired your not up to it - regardless of colour "Go back to the

drawing board.

Five years ago my very white grandaughter (I say that because she cant even

get a tan like the rest of the family
) was asked by a teacher when she was

leaving school what she planned to do. When my gd told her she laughed and

told her she was wasting her time and wouldn't be able to do it.

That knocked her back and didn't help her confidence, which her mother had

to rebuild and convince her that if she put her mind to it she could accheive

anything.......

Well she passed all her exams with flying colours and is now doing very well at her

chosen profession.

How easy if she had been black she could have sat back and said "well I wouldn't

have got it anyway because I'm black"

*You only get out of life what you are prepared to put in* There's no such thing as

*A free lunch*

new topics

top topics

join