It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan unveils timeline for indigenous fighter jet program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Japan unveils timeline for indigenous fighter jet program

Looks like Japan is investing in a home grown fighter solution.

Japan has created a timeline for the development and fielding of its locally made next-generation fighter jet, with serial production set to start at the beginning of the next decade.

According to the article a prime will be selected later this year or early next year. This will allow for a basic design of airframe and engine by early 2021. They estimate that a prototype can be built in 2024 and test flights in 2028.

This new fighter will replace Mitsubishi F2 that will be phased out in the mid 2030's. The new fighter will also be interoperable with the US Military.

If Japan develops a new fighter I'm hoping for something really cool looking.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Are they allowed to do that yet?

If nothing else it will be gizmoed up.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
If nothing else it will be gizmoed up.

Leaked concept images.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

We should have let Japan change their constitution and rearm years ago. Nothing is a better deterrent to Chinese hegemony than Japan.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
We should have let Japan change their constitution and rearm years ago. Nothing is a better deterrent to Chinese hegemony than Japan.

Not really.

A devastated and demolished Japan would have provided very little resistance to China. Would the US have stayed to rebuild if they were watching Japan rearm during that? Highly unlikely...

The only reason Japan exists today is because of that limitation and the security that limitation offered them.

They had just finished brutalizing a large area of SE Asia. No US presence, no Japan. No constitutional limits, no US presence. China, Korea, Philipines, many countries would have loved to assist with Japan's removal.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
The only reason Japan exists today is because of that limitation and the security that limitation offered them.

That's why I said 'change their constitution and rearm years ago', not 'have one that allowed rearmament from WW2 onwards'.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That's why I said 'change their constitution and rearm years ago', not 'have one that allowed rearmament from WW2 onwards'.

And it wouldn't work today anymore than back then.

South Korea instantly goes from "tolerates" to "enemy".

Philippines does the same.

SE Sea becomes fully contested territory, and the US can't enter at all because the second they do, they make more enemies than friends, just by virtue of whom they are perceived as "backing".

Saying that Japan can "rearm" like it is nothing shows a complete misunderstanding of the relationships between the Asian countries. Or should I say, a complete misunderstanding of the thousands of years of hatred that are only ever put aside when 1 thinks they can use it as leverage over another.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I disagree, the one thing all of them have in common is they are opposed to Chinese expansionist ambitions.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

a reply to: peck420

I disagree, the one thing all of them have in common is they are opposed to Chinese expansionist ambitions.

Because China is currently the most powerful.

They have united against Japan, every time Japan has become the most powerful.

They have united against Korea, every time Korea has become the most powerful.

The second they think they can be the expansionist, they will do that...just like they have every time they have been able to...and this applies to every Asian nation so far.

They are all trying to be the most powerful, and they will all be "friends" when that is required, and "belligerents" when they think they are powerful enough to get away with it.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

There's currently an uproar in Korea(granted it's driven by the media, but it's still there), because of an official USN picture of a VFA-102 F-18 that has the rising sun on the tail. These countries have a common enemy, but remove us as a buffer, and it all collapses.

I agree that Japan rearming is the right move, but they've had to be very careful in their timing and how fast they proceed.
edit on 7/9/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

We've been discussing it as part of the 6th gen fighter meta thread, just an fyi.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The second they think they can be the expansionist, they will do that...just like they have every time they have been able to...and this applies to every Asian nation so far.

They are all trying to be the most powerful, and they will all be "friends" when that is required, and "belligerents" when they think they are powerful enough to get away with it.

You are pretty much echoing what I'm saying and giving credence to my arguement to offset Chinese hegemony.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
There's currently an uproar in Korea(granted it's driven by the media, but it's still there), because of an official USN picture of a VFA-102 F-18 that has the rising sun on the tail.

Even better.

Where's the Emperor to really piss of the Chi-coms.

posted on Jul, 10 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Anyone who has served in Korea knows the uter hatred they have for the Japanese.

They took the women as sex slaves... Bloody animals.

reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 10 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Well, take your pick, Chi-Coms or the Japanese.

posted on Jul, 10 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You are pretty much echoing what I'm saying and giving credence to my arguement to offset Chinese hegemony.

Fact is, hated or no (and they are), neither has an interest in watching China secure hegemony over one or the other. It's like a neo-domino theory. None of China's neighbors are comfortable, nor should they be. If they felt comfortable, they'd all recognize Taiwan. Stronger allies make US intervention less likely.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Japan indeed has a lot of seething anger directed at it not far from the surface from much of Asia. In this respect, it has been rather unlike Germany, which despite the odd snipe here and there is now regarded as a model example of a centrist, almost painfully democratic state.

Japan has not been able to achieve this. But I do agree that China's rise can work to Japan's favour, but only if it acts in concert with South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand...and indeed Taiwan. As difficult as it will be to achieve, having these nations ally together (along with Australia and New Zealand) will do much to check China's rise. If NATO could be so successful in checking off the Soviets with the old Axis powers in its group, it gives me hope.

That said...I have worked on and off in Asia for much of the past 25 years: in truth many Asian countries really do have a distaste for each other (the Koreans in particular also seem to be disliked by many others to a great degree) and can attest that the dislike is much more intensive than between European states...

Back to the technical issue, no question that Japan has world leading technologies in many areas...the question is if that can be brought together to be relevant to a world beating 6th generation fighter at acceptable cost. Maybe. Would be best if they could team up with a European partner.
edit on 11/7/2020 by Borys because: Forgot a few countries...

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Fact is, hated or no (and they are), neither has an interest in watching China secure hegemony over one or the other. It's like a neo-domino theory. None of China's neighbors are comfortable, nor should they be. If they felt comfortable, they'd all recognize Taiwan. Stronger allies make US intervention less likely.

Exactly.

Let Japan carry some of the load.

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Meh... I prefer Philipinos if I have to pick.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Jul, 11 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

As what? Cannon fodder?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join