It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First peer reviewed study to show Nicotine offers potential protection against Covid 19

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

The OpEd in the OP says that nicotine is the ticket. Use the patch.

If one's good, two are better.

edit on 7/7/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

The OpEd in the OP says that nicotine is the ticket. Use the patch.

If one's good, two are better.

That seems to be the consensus - it's the nicotine, not the smoking.

Of course a consensus is not proof - They could, and should test the chemical nicotine to see if it has anti-viral,
anit-Covid19 properties.

Of course there are other possibilities.

Homeopathy is a form of alternative medicine that has been around for hundreds of years.

Sometimes it uses minute, almost vaccine like substances, that would be toxic, if not deadly if used in large amounts.

IS IT POSSIBLE that it is actually the smoking, with all its toxic by-products, that is causing a low level immune response
in the lungs and this low level reaction is producing the immune response that is battling the Covid 19 virus

edit on 7-7-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

What consensus? An OpEd is not consensus.

Still no link to the study mentioned in your title?

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

What consensus? An OpEd is not consensus.

Still no link to the study mentioned in your title?

I, and others have given several studies throughout this thread - The consensus so far is nicoine,

Several people have given you links OVER AND OVER AGAIN - If they don't work on your browser I can't help you,
as the very links I psted also don't always work on mine - though the links posted by others do.

ALSO - As I said to you earlier, try just entering the title in a Google search - that usually works.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I read the OpEd in your OP. That is an OpEd, not a study.

What I am looking for is the study in your title.

First peer reviewed study to show Nicotine offers potential protection against Covid 19

I like to read the actual study, not what someone claims about the study.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Try this:
The role of nicotine in COVID-19 infection
May 26, 2020

VERDICT
There are biologically plausible pathways through which nicotine may impact SARS-CoV-2, but the clinical significance of these is entirely unclear.

BACKGROUND
There is mixed evidence on the role of smoking in COVID-19 infection and associated outcomes. Whereas the expectation is that smoking would predispose to worse outcomes from COVID-19, as is the case in other acute respiratory infections, some (but not all) studies of COVID-19 have detected fewer people who smoke than would be expected in hospitalised patients with COVID-19. It is unclear whether this is due to biases, confounding, misreporting, or a potential protective effect of smoking on COVID-19 outcomes. Irrespective of COVID-19, smoking is uniquely deadly. However, nicotine, the addictive component of cigarettes, can be safe when used in other forms, and there is some biological plausibility regarding a possible role of nicotine in COVID-19 infection. Below we briefly review evidence to date on the role of nicotine in COVID-19. This is important to people who smoke, but it could also be of general relevance, as some have hypothesised nicotine may be a potential treatment for COVID-

CURRENT EVIDENCE
We searched the literature for studies relating to COVID-19 and nicotine. Some are underway, and this piece will be updated as new findings emerge. In the meantime, the available research literature is mainly in the form of speculative commentaries, with some lab studies also reported.

Commentaries regarding nicotine and COVID-19 all agree nicotine potentially has a role to play based on its role in the renin-angiotensin system. In particular, nicotine can impact the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) 2, which is relevant because coronaviruses bind to ACE2. However, some authors interpret this as suggesting nicotine is likely to be harmful in the context of COVID-19, and others suggest the opposite.

Quore source:
www.cebm.net...

CEBM
The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine develops, promotes and disseminates better evidence for healthcare.

Of course this again is the based on the authors interpretation.

IF the actual studies themselves are available - I don't know how to access them.

Being a cynic, who believes that any all info on tobacco that is not negative will be strongly contested even if, and expecially if, it can be proven true - It doesn't surprise me that the studies are hard to find.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

That is not the study touted in your OP.
Your source:

Disclaimer: the article has not been peer-reviewed; it should not replace individual clinical judgement and the sources cited should be checked. The views expressed in this commentary represent the views of the authors and not necessarily those of the host institution, the NHS, the NIHR, or the Department of Health and Social Care. The views are not a substiute for professional medical advice.

It doesn't surprise me that the studies are hard to find.

"The dog ate my homework?"

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I've given you what is avaiable and my opinions.

Now why don't you tell us why you think these studies [ there are several] do not have the basis, actual studies,
available ???

Why are they not readily avaiable ??? online - Would you suggest a hoax, actually several hoaxes, since they are
based upon different studies from different sources.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

The studies are retrospective, uncontrolled, nonrandomized, and unblinded. This makes them highly susceptible to bias and they lack any ability to allow for confounding factors. Their value is highly limited, though they may provide avenues for well constructed studies to pursue.

Would you suggest a hoax, actually several hoaxes, since they are
I wouldn't suggest anything. The claim was:

Without access to that study it is not possible to have any opinion about it.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
a reply to: SaturnFX

True but cigs dont blow up in your face.

Ive never been keen with replacing a thorn with another thorn

**had a checkup the other day, and i smoke about 1-1.5 a day. They said 110 healhty

Cigs don't, but if you modify the lighter you light cigs with to give a super flame, take off all safety measures, etc then that can, which is how e-cigs blow up.

how many people have accidentally burned down their house with a vape vs smoking in bed?

I am/was a smoker (I have a couple when drinking on weekends at a bar, but used to be a near 2 pack a day smoker for years). I never pretended smoking was even remotely redeemable. Its like a heroin addict proud of the quality needles they use to trash their life.

Get a vape before you get a limb chopped off.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Those are the only options?
That sucks.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I feel you man. I look forward to the day I am ready to quit. Hell, smoking is the only vice that has me these days. I deleted facebook awhile ago, I have no other social media, no tv or radio ( almost 20 years ). I need to eat a little better too.

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Those are the only options?
That sucks.

Yes..its the only options. choose your champion!

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

"I like to read the actual study, not what someone claims about the study."

Well Phage I would not want you to lose any more sleep - So try this:

CE-Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
Published: 09 May 2020

Systematic review of the prevalence of current smoking among hospitalized COVID-19 patients in China: could nicotine be a therapeutic option?

Abstract
The effects of smoking on Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) are currently unknown. The purpose of this study was to systematically examine the prevalence of current smoking among hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in China, considering the high-population smoking prevalence in China (26.6%). A systematic review of the literature (PubMed) was performed on April 1. Thirteen studies examining the clinical characteristics of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in China and presenting data on the smoking status were found. The pooled prevalence of current smoking from all studies was calculated by random-effect meta-analysis. To address the possibility that some smokers had quit shortly before hospitalization and were classified as former smokers on admission to the hospital, we performed a secondary analysis in which all former smokers were classified as current smokers. A total of 5960 patients were included in the studies identified. The current smoking prevalence ranged from 1.4% (95% CI 0.0–3.4%) to 12.6% (95% CI 10.6–14.6%). An unusually low prevalence of current smoking was observed from the pooled analysis (6.5%, 95% CI 4.9–8.2%) as compared to population smoking prevalence in China. The secondary analysis, classifying former smokers as current smokers, found a pooled estimate of 7.3% (95% CI 5.7–8.9%). In conclusion, an unexpectedly low prevalence of current smoking was observed among patients with COVID-19 in China, which was approximately 1/4th the population smoking prevalence. Although the generalized advice to quit smoking as a measure to reduce health risk remains valid, the findings, together with the well-established immunomodulatory effects of nicotine, suggest that pharmaceutical nicotine should be considered as a potential treatment option in COVID-19.

See whole aritcle here:

link.springer.com...

But remember it is 'assumed' that nicotine is the therapeutic - But it is from smoking - Unsmoked nicotine may not work?

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I've seen it. From page 1 of this thread:

Internal and Emergency Medicine is an independent, international journal devoted to all topics related to science and practice of internal and emergency medicine and designed for internists and emergency physicians. The Journal publishes Original articles, Review articles, Letters to the Editor, Editorials and Commentaries and it encourages letters of rebuttal and criticism of published articles.

That's peer review?
www.springer.com...

This preliminary analysis, assuming that the reported data are accurate, suggests that current smoking does not appear to be a predisposing factor for hospitalization for COVID-19.
Sort of different from the claim of the OP.
edit on 7/8/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I’ve smoked a combination of tobacco and marijuana in a bong for the last 15 years

I have maybe missed a day here and there

I wouldn’t recommend mixing them together because once you like it together both aren’t good enough seperate

I haven’t aged much in 15 years I’d say, still getting id’d at 33

Most likely your body is too toxic for Covid 19

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join