It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First peer reviewed study to show Nicotine offers potential protection against Covid 19

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   
NOTE: I am not suggesting or recommending that anyone smoke, vape, or use nicotine products because of this information
- But in a World where corruption seems to help disease to spread - Maybe it is time for the truth.

OPINION | First peer-reviewed study to show nicotine offers potential protection against Covid-19

"There is no clinical evidence that current smoking is a predisposing factor for hospitalisation for Covid-19. On the contrary, the data I and other experts have studied, suggests that current smokers are significantly less likely to be hospitalised".

"The Chinese are amongst the biggest smokers in the world, with more than half of all adult men indulging in the habit.

As a cardiologist with a career devoted to tobacco harm reduction, I obviously closely monitor health developments in the country that consumes approximately one third of the planet’s cigarettes.

So, when Covid-19 was already on its relentless march around the globe earlier this year, I was struck by one apparently paradoxical statistic that kept standing out in the blizzard of new data emerging from China, ground zero of the disease.

In a country where 26.6% of all adults smoke (approximately 50% among men), very few of those hospitalised seemed to be smokers....."

See whole article here:
OPINION | First peer-reviewed study to show nicotine offers potential protection against Covid-19

I noticed this information whch you are not likely to find easily as the rigged search engines on the internet tend to bury conrtroversial
informaion that doesn't meet the paradigms of the controlers - who are still busy trying to greatly restict and even outlaw vaping tobacco
- maybe its time for the truth ???

edit on 7-7-2020 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/7/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The study may well be flawed in any case.

They make the assumption that nicotine is doing something good where it may be a case of the mechanism of smoking cigs is what gives the protection rather than the nicotine itself.

Smokers have trachea and lungs coated with mucus which in itself could make it very hard for the virus to live long enough to infect the patient.

More research is needed.

P

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Sorry I have to ask... you're a cardiologist?

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
OP was quoting the cardiologist in the article although that doesn't mean they aren't a cardiologist.

Here is the link since ATS doesn't play well with long web addresses:

edit on 7-7-2020 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

ah ha... my mistake

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 01:44 AM
link   

First peer reviewed study to show Nicotine offers potential protection against Covid 19

There doesn't seem to be a link to this study in the article you linked.

Can you provide one? Or perhaps change the title of the thread?
edit on 7/7/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It did work originally and the one posted by daskakik above still works for now.

Also for now what still works is to Google:

BUT as I said this controversial information is not welcome by the anti-tobacco tobacco Nazis.

They will try to suppress it even if it is true - Especially if it is true.

Michael Bloomberg, the 'control freak' billionaire from New York who tried to buy the Democratic nomination for President has
spet one billion dollars in anti-tobacco endeavors with another 160 million dollars trying to destroy the vape industry.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Perhaps Konstantinos Farsalinos has published this opinion piece as the peer reviewed paper.
I hope he emailed a link to all his peers to this paper.

Disclaimer: News24 encourages freedom of speech and the expression of diverse views. The views of columnists published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24.

edit on 7-7-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Damn. You're right.

Disclaimer: News24 encourages freedom of speech and the expression of diverse views.

Source

Dammit, your edit made me redundant.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   
And I find more of the news they don't want you to know:

Does nicotine protect us against coronavirus?

"But a recent paper which examined smoking rates among COVID-19 patients in a French hospital hypothesised smoking might make people less susceptible to COVID-19 infection."

So what can we make of this?

"The results
The study found 4.4% of inpatients and 5.3% of outpatients with COVID-19 were smokers, after adjusting for differences in age and sex.

This was only a fraction of the prevalence seen in the general French population. Some 25.4% reportedly smoked daily in 2018.

The authors asserted:

current smokers have a very much lower probability of developing symptomatic or severe SARS-CoV-2 infection as compared to the general population.

"The authors of the French study suggest the mechanism behind the protective effects of smoking could be found in nicotine.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, gains entry into human cells by latching onto protein receptors called ACE2, which are found on certain cells’ surfaces.

The researchers have proposed nicotine attaches to the ACE2 receptors, thereby preventing the virus from attaching and potentially reducing the amount of virus that can get into a person’s lung cells.

The researchers are now planning to test their hypothesis in a randomised trial involving nicotine patches; though the trial is still awaiting approval from French health authorities..........

See whole articl here:
theconversation.com...

[Of course the link does not work - Ask Michael Bloomberg why]

For now you can still Google search "Does nicotine protect us against coronavirus?"

gut they will probably soon suppress it

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Internal and Emergency Medicine is an independent, international journal devoted to all topics related to science and practice of internal and emergency medicine and designed for internists and emergency physicians. The Journal publishes Original articles, Review articles, Letters to the Editor, Editorials and Commentaries and it encourages letters of rebuttal and criticism of published articles.

That's peer review?
www.springer.com...

This preliminary analysis, assuming that the reported data are accurate, suggests that current smoking does not appear to be a predisposing factor for hospitalization for COVID-19.
Sort of different from the claim of the OP.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Apparently not peer reviewed but it is what I dug up in a quick search.

Also, isn't the title of the thread supposed to be the same as the article, if one is being used?

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Also, isn't the title of the thread supposed to be the same as the article, if one is being used?

Only in the Breaking News forum. At least it used to be.
Who knows anymore.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   
In other words..., cancer kills Covid 19 too.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Tobacco. It contains more compounds than just Nicotine, esp. after burning it.

I'm willing to bet that patches or oral Nicotine (like gum or chew) won't do the trick. Maybe nicotine in an aerosol that is breathed, but what about the dreaded tar and all those "carcinogens" in the smoke?

I wonder about exhaled side stream smoke and it's effects on nearby non-smokers.

Can smoke particles intercept the virus particles and neutralize the virus in the air?

Will nicotine and smoke residue on surfaces neutralize the virus as well?

I need more than nicotine in the study or it should be a nicotine compound that was burned and extracted from the smoke.
edit on 7-7-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

I'm a smoker.

Perhaps:

- Nicotine is considered a poison.
- Smokers inhale Nicotine (and other chemicals that could be the specific culprit)
- Covid line the walls of the lungs

- Maybe nicotine (or one of the chemicals contained) kill covid.

That would be my guess. You're basically fumigating your lungs with this stuff. Perhaps Covid can't withstand this.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

It would be ironic if this was the case and restaurants and bars would start begging smokers to patronize them.

20% discount for smokers!

or

Smokers eat free! (This does not apply to vapers - vapers are still not welcome)

I would be all... "No thanks.. i'll smoke on the patio away from all you non-smokers".

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It is possible that smokers have the same infection rate, but are less likely to identify symptoms as Covid caused.

Smoker's cough? Covid cough?

What's the diffy?

Not to mention under reporting of being a smoker, due to qualifying for cheaper health care coverage. (I guess that might not matter in some countries, but I haven't done any research on that. I just know the insurance differential for smokers vs non smokers in my country is high.)
edit on 7-7-2020 by Archivalist because: Meh

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The article linked doesn’t come up for me, but I’ve seen another article that states another type of smoking might be helpful in preventing the cytokine storm that affects the lungs.

www.iflscience.com...

THC has been shown to act as an antiinflammatory agent, so it seemed likely to the team that it could have a role in stopping inflammation in the lungs. They found that in 100 percent of cases, THC protected the mice against lethal symptoms that happen after a cytokine storm by blocking the pro-inflammatory cytokines that bring immune cells to the area and cause damage. Not only this, THC actually increased the anti-inflammatory activity, slowing the inflammation and stopping the severe damage caused.

It’s only tested in happy little mice so far, and I’ve seen articles that say the opposite as well.

Tobacco might have some type of the same anti inflammatory qualities as well. 🤷🏼‍♀️
They’re not likely to admit this though, maybe that’s why I couldn’t get the article

There’s lots of articles all saying different info...about both types of smoking...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join