It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kysties law takes effect, free five year gun permit

page: 1

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
On July first a new law , (hr1254 -middle link), will take effect. Kysties law..
The entire bill will be in effect july 1st 2020.

“Signed and made effective by Gov. Eric Holcomb in April, House Enrolled Act 1284 provides immunity for justified uses of force in instances where a person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent serious injury, or to immediately stop or prevent a forcible felony. Starting today, courts are required to award, in the same instances, reasonable attorney's fees and costs to a defendant in a civil suit when the justified use of force immunity is successfully raised.”

Basically this law came about because a Ohio woman shot a criminal and was cleared of any wrong doing by police but she was then sued by the victims family in civil court.
I for one love this law.
The family of someone committing a felony should not be able to sue for damages.

www.indystar.com...

www.eaglecountryonline.com...

www.nraila.org...

Indiana will also give free five year concealed carry permits to eligible residents.
This is also a part of the above bill.
I love this law too.
Nobody should be charged to exercise their right to bare arms.
We already pay for the government to run with tax money so there should not be an extra charge for them to actually do anything pertaining to someone’s constitutional rights.

gunrightswatch.com...
edit on 30-6-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
God I wish Pennsylvania would pass such a law. No one should be able to sue because their lowlife relative was killed in lawful self-defense.

ETA: The first article you linked is from last year. Is this an old story?
edit on 30 6 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The bill passedl last year but takes effect tomorrow.
The free gun permit was part of the bill.

I should clear up.
The bill was enacted in phases and all phases will be active on July 1st.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Rioters won't like it. "Justified uses of force" doesn't seem to be specific, can I throw axes to intruders ?

edit on 30-6-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Something like that was in the works for Michigan but there's no way in hell Whitmer would sign that. It irritates me because I've been shooting all kinds of guns since I was 12, used to hunt and did the CPL course but didn't have the money at the time for the permit. Now I'd have to take the course over to get the damned permit, paying for it twice, then paying for the permit. It's ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That is great news ... thanks for the links.

I plan to come 'back home again' to Indiana to retire, and that is when I will need the ability of self protection most -- during my venerable years (when I will also be physically most vulnerable and otherwise less able to defend myself!)

I am glad to see Indiana getting it right!

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten
I have a concealed permit. Have had for 10 years in Michigan.

You can get a permit in Wayne County...under 14 days....if you qualify

1 in 5 Michigander's are legally carrying.

It shouldn't be everybody grab a gun when you're out
edit on 30-6-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
But we are an open carry, aren't we? I thought so.

I do wish we had this law here to protect us

I just don't get the mentality of "oh, yeah, he was doing something illegal, but I'm going to sue you anyway"

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I just don't get the mentality of "oh, yeah, he was doing something illegal, but I'm going to sue you anyway"

Yes, Michigan is an open-carry state but I want the bad guys to have to think about whether I'm carrying or not. It also makes you an easy target if they can see your weapon.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
I have a concealed permit. Have had for 10 years in Michigan.

You can get a permit in Wayne County...under 14 days....if you qualify

1 in 5 Michigander's are legally carrying.

It shouldn't be everybody grab a gun when you're out

It's not the time factor, it's the cost. It shouldn't be required in the first place but it is so we have to abide by it.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I agree totally.
There should be no cost to exercising a right guaranteed by the constitution.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Something like that was in the works for Michigan but there's no way in hell Whitmer would sign that. It irritates me because I've been shooting all kinds of guns since I was 12, used to hunt and did the CPL course but didn't have the money at the time for the permit. Now I'd have to take the course over to get the damned permit, paying for it twice, then paying for the permit. It's ridiculous.

And that's exactly why they institute those fees. It has absolutely zero impact on crime. Criminals don't bother with permits. But it disenfranchises people without disposable income from being able to afford to carry a gun. It's a de facto ban on the right to bear arms for lower-income citizens, and that is its sole and intended purpose.

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The bill passedl last year but takes effect tomorrow.
The free gun permit was part of the bill.

I should clear up.
The bill was enacted in phases and all phases will be active on July 1st.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I would've got it if I read more carefully.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Simple. The family are lowlife scum just like their relative who got shot in self-defense.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yes. We have open carry as well, I don't have too....but wouldn't mind everyone carrying.

The low-life-pond-scum are.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

was discussing this yesterday with someone. They purchase insurance in case they are in such a position as to have to fight a wrongful death suit for defending himself. To me, that is so asinine that I cannot fathom it.

Im not paying extortion money. Sue me. Good luck collecting.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

was discussing this yesterday with someone. They purchase insurance in case they are in such a position as to have to fight a wrongful death suit for defending himself. To me, that is so asinine that I cannot fathom it.

Im not paying extortion money. Sue me. Good luck collecting.

Yeah that's one of the things the NRA and a few other gun rights groups have been pushing lately is that insurance so they pay your legal fees if you get prosecuted or sued.

I think it's absurd as well. There shouldn't even be a special law needed. Any judge should throw out such a preposterous lawsuit and make the people filing it pay all the fees.

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The family of someone committing a felony should not be able to sue for damages?
Does this apply to George Floyds family?

posted on Jun, 30 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
The family of someone committing a felony should not be able to sue for damages?
Does this apply to George Floyds family?

For me it does.
But this bill has nothing to do with the police.
This only covers a private citizen defending themselves.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think charging a fee to access a constitutional right is ridiculous, though, in IL it's only $11 for a FOID - about the cost of a small handful of bullets. It's good for 10 years, so $1.10/year. It's such a small processing fee that I'm not bothered enough by it to care - but then being so small, why should the state bother charging it? On principle, its wrong, but I don't think its keeping anybody from getting one - at least not anybody who can afford ammunition for a gun

There's a bill right now to eliminate the FOID requirement, though I doubt it will pass.

Concealed carry permits, on the other hand, require 16 hours of classes, which, in my case, will mean taking 1-2 of my most profitable days off work, based on the scheduling. That loss of income aside, the classes cost $99, and the permit costs $150 - good for 5 years.

That's far too much burden. I'm going to pay it, but I've had stretches of my life where if I had broken a bone and it would cost $249 to have it set, I would have had to do it myself. The fees are clearly intended to strip the right to bear arms away from the poor.

edit on 7/1/2020 by dogstar23 because: Wasn't finished.

posted on Jul, 1 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I wonder what the reaction would be if anyone seeking an abortion had to take a 16hr class on birth control and child development?

new topics

top topics

join