It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

House Democrats passed a bill Friday to make Washington, D.C., the 51st U.S. state, a historic move unlikely to gain traction in the Republican-held Senate.

The chamber approved it by a 232-180 vote.

The legislation would give Washington residents, who have long decried the fact that they pay federal taxes but have no voting representation in Congress, one House member and two senators. A smaller area encompassing the White House, U.S. Capitol, and other federal buildings and monuments would remain under U.S. oversight.

HOUSE PASSES BILL TO MAKE DC A STATE

Gee I wonder what this is all about? Welcome to an election year everyone.

The thing that boggles my mind about these sort of bills is that just like the impeachment there is not a chance in hell they are going to get past the Senate.

Even if they did there is not a chance in hell the president is going to sign it.

I just don't get it. Is it all about "optics" for Pelosi and the house ?

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

as a state it would get electoral votes...and as it stands they would be blue votes.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
LOL
I guess Congress forgot that THEY don't start the process!!!!
First step is for the proposed state to vote on the issue.
Actually, looks like the skipped the first 3 steps!!!
politics.stackexchange.com...#:~:text=The%20propos ed%20state%20officially%20petitions%20Congress%20for%20Statehood.,accept%20the%20state.%20The%20president%20signs%20the%20bill.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Every hear of "Taxation without Representation"?

It's about time. Personally I'd like to see Puerto Rice, etc. included as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Please include ny city in its boundary.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just a way to get more Democrats in Congress.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Someone should immediately SUE them because they are not following the constitution.

www.heritage.org...

But for democrats is just an outdated piece of paper with all those amendments, right democrats???

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Is it all about "optics" for Pelosi

I am almost certain that she needs glasses. The looking ones not the drinking ones.

edit on 6 27 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I thought it already had three electoral votes.
This might have more to do with adding members to the other branches...

Honestly they should just be absorbed back into Maryland.
Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
LOL
I guess Congress forgot that THEY don't start the process!!!!
First step is for the proposed state to vote on the issue.
Actually, looks like the skipped the first 3 steps!!!
politics.stackexchange.com...#:~:text=The%20propos ed%20state%20officially%20petitions%20Congress%20for%20Statehood.,accept%20the%20state.%20The%20president%20signs%20the%20bill.

I think its more of a dog and pony show then an actual legitimate attempt to make

DC into a state.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This means we'll have to change the flag.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I thought it already had three electoral votes.
This might have more to do with adding members to the other branches...

Honestly they should just be absorbed back into Maryland.
Problem solved.

Not EC votes, but rather Senatorial Votes. It will give them two Senators and at least one Representative in the house.

I thought that the charter that created DC was designed so that it couldn't become a state. It's suppose to be neutral ground for the US Government to meet and work in. I might be wrong though, but it doesn't matter now. If they are just skipping proper procedures then it won't be allowed. I'm sure the Mayor and her friend in the House did that on purpose just to cry fowl when the courts strike it down. More reason to riot and blame Trump.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It will not get ratified by the senate of signed by the President. This is but another mockery of the house. They have lost all respect for law.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

where's the pork, that's what this bill is about and 99.9 percent of the bills passed are for. they just use a cause that some beeitch about to put a name on the bills.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
This means we'll have to change the flag.

Looks like someones already on it.

Tlaib vows to display altered American flag with 51 stars in support of DC statehood

Michigan Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib said Thursday she wants to display an altered American flag with 51 – instead of 50 – stars outside her congressional office to demonstrate support for making the District of Columbia a state.

The comments came during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on a longshot Democratic bill--which faces resistance from Republicans--to make the District of Columbia the country’s 51st state. Ahead of the hearing, the city of D.C. ordered and displayed 140 American flags with the extra star.

LINK

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
It will not get ratified by the senate of signed by the President. This is but another mockery of the house. They have lost all respect for law.

I don't think the President gets a say in the matter either way, I think that's only if they pass an enabling act which from what I found is not required.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: BadBoYeed

as a state it would get electoral votes...and as it stands they would be blue votes.

DC gets Electoral Votes in President elections I think 3 maybe ? 🚬

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

DC already has electoral votes.

This is about Senators... Dems will want an extra 2 Senators to give them a better chance of taking the Senate in November.

edit on 27/6/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

DC gets Electoral Votes in President elections I think 3 maybe ? 🚬

Correct - this is about extra Senate seats

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Puerto Rico has repeatedly voted against statehood

en.wikipedia.org...

A referendum on the status of the island was held in Puerto Rico on 23 July 1967.[25] Voters were given the choice between being a Commonwealth, statehood or independence. The majority of voters voted for Commonwealth status, with a voter turnout of 65.9%.[26] 1998 referendum

Main article: Puerto Rican status referendum, 1998 A referendum in December 1998 offered voters four political status options: statehood, independence, free association, and territorial commonwealth, plus "none of the above." The latter option won 50.5% of the vote, followed by statehood, with 46.6%.[27] Turnout was 71%.[28]

2012 statehood vote Main article: Puerto Rican status referendum, 2012 On November 6, 2012, eligible voters in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico were presented with two questions: (1) whether they agreed to continue with Puerto Rico's territorial status and (2) to indicate the political status they preferred from three possibilities: statehood, independence, or a sovereign nation in free association with the United States.[29] A full 970,910 (54.0%) voted "No" on the first question, expressing themselves against maintaining the current political status, and 828,077 (46.0%) voted "Yes", to maintain the current political status. Of those who answered on the second question 834,191 (61.2%) chose statehood, 454,768 (33.3%) chose free association, and 74,895 (5.5%) chose independence.[2][3] The preferred status consultation did not include Puerto Rico's current status as a territory (Estado Libre Asociado as defined by the 1952 Constitution) as a choice, but instead an alternative named "E.L.A. Soberano"[30] President Barack Obama pledged to respect the voters' decision.[31] In December 2012, the newspaper Caribbean Business allegedly obtained, from a White House source, a statement claiming that Obama urged Congress to act upon the referendum's results.[32] On August 1, 2013, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee held a hearing on Puerto Rico's status as a direct result of the 2012 referendum vote and invited Governor Alejandro García Padilla, Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi, and pro-independence supporter Rubén Berríos to give testimony and answer questions from the committee.[33]

they did another one in 2017 but it had some kind of chaos so that got postponed and i think they have another option coming up but they seem to overwhelmingly want to be an independent nation not a us state akin to Micronesia etc so if they do vote i would assume it would be to get special status as far as trade and protection went but with out the full on task of statehood

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join