It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jane Elliott on what everyone can do to fight racism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Jaellma

Well, maybe we can start off simple.

Let's say you are confronted in the really real world with an actual racist. Not someone you think or claim, but an actual my race is superior to any other racist.

How would you go about making them...not racist?

An existential question for sure. It depends on that person's level of racism. If they are in a place where you have the time to discuss humanity with this person, maybe they would be smart enough to (1) listen and (2) digest and internalize what is relayed to them and hopefully they have it in themselves to make a change. That change may not be overnight but may take time and effort to actualize.

We all have free will and free thought processes. Depending on certain circumstances, some people have deeply ingrained philosophies that may be almost impossible to change, even with repeated therapy and teachings.

Only time will tell but one may never know if someone can change unless they reach out to that individual.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Wait, theres levels?

We'll ignore that for now. The long and short of it is to have a conversation, umm, no, tell them how you perceive the world then hope they see it your way?

Is that about right?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think treating people by the content of their character is the way to go.

I heard that once.

Dunno where.

Treating anyone differently based on the color of their skin is just racist.

I heard that once too.

I'm pretty sure it was Martin Luther King Jr.

A Republican.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Wait, theres levels?

We'll ignore that for now. The long and short of it is to have a conversation, umm, no, tell them how you perceive the world then hope they see it your way?

Is that about right?

Don't distract from the intent and message of this thread. State what you have done to help fight racism or just wait for my responses. No red herrings tonight.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jaellma

originally posted by: CraftyArrow

Education at Amazon.

Amazon Best Sellers as of 6/4/2020 www.amazon.com...
Our most popular products based on sales. Updated hourly.

[I doubt these books are the best sellers at the moment, Amazon is pushing their political agenda.]

The top 11 selling books to educate everyone, as of today.

1. White Fragility
2. So You Want to Talk About Race
3. We're Different, We're the Same (Sesame Street)
4. How to Be an Antiracist
5. Stamped from the Beginning
6. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How…
7. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
8. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age…
9. Where the Crawdads Sing
10. AntiRacist Baby
11. Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in…

yep, ummmm, meh. Sooo, what have you done to help fight racism? I keep asking these questions but are you also afraid to post your personal experiences? I promise I wouldn't judge you.

The best I can do is warn people about race baiters, they keep racism alive with the help of MSM. It's a very old tactic, Divide & Conquer.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Dunno the message, haven't watched the video.

Having a discussion seems much more productive than having a video tell me.

Can you comment on my previous reaponse?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Education at Amazon.

Amazon Best Sellers as of 6/4/2020 www.amazon.com...
Our most popular products based on sales. Updated hourly.

[I doubt these books are the best sellers at the moment, Amazon is pushing their political agenda.]

The top 11 selling books to educate everyone, as of today.

1. White Fragility
2. So You Want to Talk About Race
3. We're Different, We're the Same (Sesame Street)
4. How to Be an Antiracist
5. Stamped from the Beginning
6. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How…
7. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
8. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age…
9. Where the Crawdads Sing
10. AntiRacist Baby
11. Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in…

yep, ummmm, meh. Sooo, what have you done to help fight racism? I keep asking these questions but are you also afraid to post your personal experiences? I promise I wouldn't judge you.

The best I can do is warn people about race baiters, they keep racism alive with the help of MSM. It's a very old tactic, Divide & Conquer.

Race baiting is one thing and should not be tolerated but racial awareness, education and understanding is something we all need to talk about because racism, unfortunately, is still alive. Unless we help fight it, it will still be here. Do you disagree?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

It's not a fvcking crime. Get over it.

It's not a crime that is true, but the mind of someone who see's right and wrong in skin color definitely ain't right, just stupid.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think treating people by the content of their character is the way to go.

I heard that once.

Dunno where.

Treating anyone differently based on the color of their skin is just racist.

Or the color of their hat....

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Dunno the message, haven't watched the video.

Having a discussion seems much more productive than having a video tell me.

Can you comment on my previous reaponse?

Well you can't tell anyone to do anything unless you know what a problem is and are qualified to talk about it.

I happen to be qualified to talk about it and it always starts with a discussion. You asked me what would I do if I was confronted with a qualified racist person and as someone who is qualified to discuss issues surrounding race issues, I feel it would be my duty to help the person if I could.

Are you saying I should not try to help and just leave it alone? Help me because I am trying to understand how I can help with your questioning?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Wait, wait, wait.

So theres levels of racism?
Only certain people can tell others what to do on race matters?
Who are they?
You're one?
Where does one get such authority?
How many have you cured?
How many actual racist have you met?
So many questions!

No, you certainly should help. I'm just attempting to understand how.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I watched the video. Thanks for wasting my time. Just more liberal BS that means nothing and solved nothing.

You all act is if all white people do with their life is to sit around thinking of ways to make non white people miserable

The fact is now days the least racist people are all white. Very few whites walk around worrying about what race everybody is. We have real world problems to deal with not problems that exist only in other people's minds.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm sorry but did we ever find out if the Floyd death was racially motivated? Because I'm not seeing any connection...is there supposed to be one?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Wait, wait, wait.

So theres levels of racism?
Only certain people can tell others what to do on race matters?
Who are they?
You're one?
Where does one get such authority?
How many have you cured?
How many actual racist have you met?
So many questions!

No, you certainly should help. I'm just attempting to understand how.

LOL, all you need to know is in addition to being a degreed Engineer, I am also a Director of diversity and Labor Relations of a fairly large and diverse company on the East Coast. I deal with diversity management, race and labor issues on a daily basis so yes, I would say I am qualified to discuss issues pertaining to race.

I am proud to say I try to help people every day. Many people want to be helped and many actually become better individuals. It is a learning experience for myself and I find dealing with esoteric questions, such as the ones I get from posters on ATS is a challenge. I love challenges so there, you have it from me.

Can you answer my previous question?

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

I watched the video. Thanks for wasting my time. Just more liberal BS that means nothing and solved nothing.

You all act is if all white people do with their life is to sit around thinking of ways to make non white people miserable

The fact is now days the least racist people are all white. Very few whites walk around worrying about what race everybody is. We have real world problems to deal with not problems that exist only in other people's minds.

Thank you for your comment. Very good to get an honest answer. We all have different views on what problems do exist in the world but until we deal with the problems, real or imagined, they still exist.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Watch out she's going to scramble your brain until your life's work is going to be chanting at the airport while you are handing out pamphlets.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Thank you for your comment. Very good to get an honest answer. We all have different views on what problems do exist in the world but until we deal with the problems, real or imagined, they still exist.

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you. I think you should council the people who let their lives be limited by their race.

Tell them that we all face barriers of one type or other but that that they should view them as opportunities to become stronger people.

Then when they succeed the success will feel even sweeter. Struggles are just blessings in disguise.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Oh yea, your question. I do my part by not being racist.

Now, anyone with an engineering degree can tell someone how not to be racist?

That on top of my other questions.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you. I think you should council the people who let their lives be limited by their race.

Tell them that we all face barriers of one type or other but that that they should view them as opportunities to become stronger people.

Then when they succeed the success will feel even sweeter. Struggles are just blessings in disguise.

I agree. I counsel individuals just like you mentioned. Some of them have confided in me while growing up and even in professional settings they were subjected to racist or bigoted acts or comments but they found within themselves to overcome that and become productive and upstanding citizens. I have also counseled those individuals who have been racist or said racist things to people and they also admitted they were wrong and were able to grow from that and be better and more rounded individuals.

You see, we shouldn't just limit the counsel to the victims but also to the perpetrators of these acts. Only then are we doing a complete job.

posted on Jun, 4 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Oh yea, your question. I do my part by not being racist.

Now, anyone with an engineering degree can tell someone how not to be racist?

That on top of my other questions.

LOL. No. Many people obtain engineering degrees but go one to become doctors, etc in different fields. Don't you know many of the executives and officers of top companies are actually degreed engineers? Engineers and scientists have the ability to do just about any profession. They usually are not limited in what they can do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join