It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Racist if I Don't support BLM?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yesterday I was supposed to put a Black Square on my IG to prove to the world I'm not a racist. I didn't. Something about it just felt wrong. What about the other 364 days of the year? I'm accountable 365. I donated to Mr Floyds Memorial Fund. His family won't have to work another day. God Bless em. But Why do I have to qualify to everyone that I'm not a prick? There's a narrative that black people are all victims and of one mindset, that they can't (or shouldn't) hold conservative views or support law enforcement. Shouldn't anyone of any race be allowed to hold whatever views they want without fear of repercussion?

edit on 3-6-2020 by NightVision because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

Yesh.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightVision
Yesterday I was supposed to put a Black Square on my IG to prove to the world I'm not a racist.

Another reason I only have a f-Instagram account.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
No, you’re not. The Instagram BS is virtue signaling at its worst.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If anyone gives a damn whether you did or didn't, they have bigger problems to work out lol.

I didn't make my profile pic rainbow when told to...i'm not homophobic and accept lgbqt

I didn't put the french flag over my profile pic even though it was terrible what happened and i am anti terrorism

I didn't post a black square and I am anti racism and have no problems with people of color.

It matters how you conduct yourself in your day to day life.

If people look upon you poorly for not posting a black square, that is exactly the same as prejudice/racism

link   
You did the right thing because they have asked people to STOP doing it.
The gesture is clogging up the flow of information.

So you did the right thing.

link   
Just another way of Virtue Signaling.

virtue signaling
[ vur-choo sig-nl-ing ]
noun Sometimes Disparaging.
the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not: The virtue signaling of solidarity with the victims can be a comforting affirmation of community.Their outraged virtue signaling comes across as contrived.

Dictionary.com-Definition

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Yesterday I was supposed to put a Black Square on my IG to prove to the world I'm not a racist.

Why were YOU supposed to? I saw it as an invitation to participate in a peaceful protest, and an affirmation for the cause, via Instagram, not a test to your anti-racism.

edit on 3-6-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BadBoYeed
If anyone gives a damn whether you did or didn't, they have bigger problems to work out lol.

I didn't make my profile pic rainbow when told to...i'm not homophobic and accept lgbqt

I didn't put the french flag over my profile pic even though it was terrible what happened and i am anti terrorism

I didn't post a black square and I am anti racism and have no problems with people of color.

It matters how you conduct yourself in your day to day life.

If people look upon you poorly for not posting a black square, that is exactly the same as prejudice/racism

Thank You!

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Why were YOU supposed to? I saw it as an invitation to participate in a peaceful protest, and an affirmation for the cause, via Instagram.

Where do u live? I'm in San Diego. PPl here looted and burned small businesses. Including those owned by African-Americans. Literally millions of dollars of damage and innocent ppl now with no jobs just as the economy was reopening. Would you call that a peaceful protest?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I didn't know what IG was, until further reading. So, you're probably less racist than I.

ETA: what I mean to say is, this is some meaningless stuff. Social media doesn't "make" you anything.
edit on 632020 by Gnawledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Hey, did you know one of the felonies that our current hero was once chargeed with was home invasion where he pistol whipped a pregnant woman in front of her one year old child and also held his loaded pistol to her pregnant belly?

That is heroic. I mean sure it was almost a decade ago but add to that he was working at night club that was allegedly a money laundering front with the same police officer that killed him and I mean I am not a brain surgeon but it seems to me that this murder may not be a racist cop killing a poor black man but more like an inside criminal killing another inside criminal and trying to make it look like something different...

Who knows at this point though? All I know is that the racist stuff is so tiring and is probably done for reasons not that we will never know.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't support BLM. They are a chaotic group mostly. I would support a group that worked peacefully and sensibly to change public opinion against black people. Funny how it is not correct for us to call them black anymore socially but Black lives Matter is acceptable. Shouldn't it be called AALS instead?

I guess a lot of white people are not that smart, they believe that the name black is bad...it is just a way of identifying members of a group of Americans just like White does. What is wrong with that?

I am sure there are many people that are black that belong to Black Lives Matter that are peaceful and not jerks. I think of all American citizens as equal myself, color does not mean anything to me. Attitude does mean something to me though, I like nice good friendly people and avoid chaotic pushy people. It seems like the BLM group is a bunch of pushy people just like white supremists can be. I do not personally know any white supremists....but some that I know act a little racist, especially when a colored person flips them off inappropriately or starts trouble. But that again is an attitude thing, they get mad at white people who flip them off too, or try to push them around by intimidation. But there are also a few racist people up here, usually they moved here from the Detroit area or from down south. I try to avoid those kind of people, there is no reasoning with people stuck in their beliefs. Same with the Far left and far right, there is no reasoning with them. They interpret everything based on their beliefs. Most in the middle conservatives respect the rights of all their neighbors around here, but the far left and right do not. And they make a lot of noise.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Hey, did you know one of the felonies that our current hero was once chargeed with was home invasion where he pistol whipped a pregnant woman in front of her one year old child and also held his loaded pistol to her pregnant belly?

That is heroic. I mean sure it was almost a decade ago but add to that he was working at night club that was allegedly a money laundering front with the same police officer that killed him and I mean I am not a brain surgeon but it seems to me that this murder may not be a racist cop killing a poor black man but more like an inside criminal killing another inside criminal and trying to make it look like something different...

Who knows at this point though? All I know is that the racist stuff is so tiring and is probably done for reasons not that we will never know.

I did not know that. But Im willing to be educated. Do the actions of one represent the whole? If that's true then the actions of the protesters represent the actions of the looters, no?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   

If white people donate to George Floyd's GFM...how do they prove it wasn't done just to alleviate their own white guilt?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Self endorsement is no recommendation !!!

Do you have a need to prove anything to anyone?

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I wouldn't do it just on principle.

I also don't care if someone thinks I'm racist.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

If white people donate to George Floyd's GFM...how do they prove it wasn't done just to alleviate their own white guilt?

Profound isn't a strong enough word to describe the words I just read. Thank you, sir.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

No.

A person doesnt have to support BLM to oppose the Police State Industrial Complex: police brutality, the militarization of the police, 50,000-80,000 SWAT raids per year, over criminalization, the largest prison population in the world etc.

posted on Jun, 3 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Self endorsement is no recommendation !!!

Do you have a need to prove anything to anyone?

No, and thats whats unsettling. my spider-sense there will be a movement to lynching those accts without a black square as racist. Maybe im just being paranoid? probably.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join