It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will COVID-19 be the Saving Grace for Small Town America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here's something I've been thinking through over the last few days...we know three things:

1. Disease is far more prevalent in high population density urban areas for obvious reasons. The vast majority of COVID-19 cases are occurring in large urban areas, due primarily to the higher rates of transmission from people living in such close proximity to each other.

2. Small town America is dying, and has been dying for years. One of the main reasons for folks leaving small towns is to move to the big cities, since that's where most of the work is/was.

3. The shelter-in-place order that's been in place across most of the country for the last 6 weeks or so has shown that many white collar types like office workers, IT folks, and other desk-jockey jobs, can be done pretty effectively from home.

Which got me thinking...perhaps, after all this is over, we'll see a new exodus back OUT of the cities, and back INTO smaller towns around the country, as folks realize that living stacked on top of each other like sardines is not healthy, it's way too expensive, and it's no longer necessary for them to live in the city to do their job. If they could move a couple hours away from the city, buy some property at a fraction of what they would pay in the city while still keeping their jobs, AND be in a much better position to avoid the next pandemic, that could be a pretty attractive option. Plus, the influx of fresh cash into these communities will improve the standard of living in these small towns, generating renewed investment and entrepreneurial activity in these previously cash-strapped areas.

From a political perspective, this move back into the small towns could go a long way towards rebuilding trust and understanding between the left and the right. It's no secret that our political divide in America is largely one of rural values vs. urban values, but if you have city folks moving back out into the rural areas, and those two groups of people start living side by side, you'll find that we all have much more in common than we do that divides us - and both sides will gain a deeper understanding of each other's perspective which might well work towards rebuilding trust and understanding.

Every crisis is an opportunity for change and to develop a new way of looking at the world - perhaps this crisis might teach us that over-centralization is not a good idea, and we need to de-centralize to become better able to weather these types of storms. Like anything, whenever there's a shift, people tend to go too far in the opposite direction. So maybe the shift over the last century from humanity largely living a rural existence to largely living an urban existence, is now set to moderate itself by finding a happy medium. The big cities can survive, but with a somewhat reduced population density, and the rural areas can be re-invigorated financially with a new focus on rebuilding small towns throughout the country. We might end up being a better country for it in the end.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The current left is completely insane. There will be no peace with them.

To be honest, the left has always been a bit insane. It is now completely insane. I do not know any right wing person that will ever give into their insanity.
edit on 4-5-2020 by Fools because: ...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Country life sounds pretty damn good right now.

And for those that state this planet is overpopulated. I encourage you to take a drive thru Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona. Nothing but dirt and rocks for thousands of miles. Overpopulation as a whole is a huge farce. only in the cities are we overpopulated.

I like your point. Maybe this will more evenly distribute our population. So these twat elites at the top, stop talking about population control.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's already happening. People have been exiting large cities for a while. Taxes keep going up to compensate for it causing more to leave.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What's dying is inner city urban areas full of crime and homelessness.

I'd actually prefer if people stayed in the cities. I like small town life the way it is.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If I can I would like to make two points. One I am not sure the work for home has staying power, unless you have osme type of monitoring system ( which I am not supporting ) to track a workers productivity. I mean is someone really working from home or are they playing playstation are they really working right now mutiltasking and streaming netflix at the same time? Unless there is something /someone to track a workers productivity I can;t see the work from home lasting. I know companies are telling people to work from home because of the saftey concerns but I don;t see the work from home trend lasting.

Two You mentioned people moving to more rural settings and maybe politics changing. wouldnt it be more of a transformation? The rural people would just transform their politics to what the rural peoples politics are. I dont think there would be an understanding as more of a confroming.
edit on 4-5-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Thanks for your post. As the resident of a small town for the last 10 years, maybe I can add a bit of perspective.

Saving small town America? Possibly. As the city slikers move into rural small towns, I have seen quite a bit of economic renewal; new businesses openning, albeit slowly. So in a sense, there is something of an economic renewal.

As to:

From a political perspective, this move back into the small towns could go a long way towards rebuilding trust and understanding between the left and the right. It's no secret that our political divide in America is largely one of rural values vs. urban values, but if you have city folks moving back out into the rural areas, and those two groups of people start living side by side, you'll find that we all have much more in common than we do that divides us - and both sides will gain a deeper understanding of each other's perspective which might well work towards rebuilding trust and understanding.

No....not so much. When the city types move in, they dont interact very much at all with the rural small town population much past shopping in the stores and occasionally eating at the restaurants. The reason for this goes beyond the political divide. It goes to the cultural divide. The rural population travels in entirely different circles from the mostly more wealty city population. So, for example, a big part of rural life is Church. The City people dont go to church. The city people, for the most part, dont interact with much of anyone outside their circle. And the same can be said of the indigenous rural population. Instead of greater understanding and cooperation, there is just as much, if not more, friction , frustration and hatred.

For example, rural Town and County politics is based upon 100 or more relationships developed among the long established rural population. Politics is very insular and fraught with fraud and corruption which is generally tolerated because there is a rotation at the trough of money from which tax payer dollars are stolen. Seeing this, the new arrivals try to make changes by running for office only to find themselves angered and frustrated by the endimic level of election fraud. And the election fraud is so well established that it cant even be rooted out. The mayor of a small town near me has stolen the last three elections. She was investigated for vote fraud 3 times, found guilty 3 times and ........nothing happened and shes back in office after serving a 6 month prison sentence after being found guilty of stealling city funds. Shes never served a day in jail for stealing elections.

So, yeah.....changes are happening........just not necessarily what everyone might hope for.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

I have no idea what You just said.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
These big cities could become like malls. It was great for a while but no value in them anymore. Crime, environmental damage, pollution, pandemic concern, weak green spaces.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Foreshadow

basically if people moved from the big cities they would change their politics not take them with them.

is that clear?
edit on 4-5-2020 by American-philosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
It's already happening. People have been exiting large cities for a while. Taxes keep going up to compensate for it causing more to leave.

People are leaving some MSA's but primarily heading to other MSA's, meaning they are moving to other cities or their suburbs. Of the 50 largest cities in the United States only three have lost population from 2010-2018.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Just for a different perspective... I live in small town USA ( population 1300 ) Just about everything is the way it was before the "Wutang" Virus. Restaurants and Gas Stations are still open as well as the local computer repair guy. The local Bridal/Prom dress gal has closed down, but do to circumstances, You can see why.

I'm all for more people moving out of the City and getting some clean country air. Just don't bring Your baggage with You.

I thoroughly enjoy waving at complete strangers and they wave back. I like the fact that my Neighbors kids can go ride their bikes without a care in the world, and if they fell down, someone would have a bandaid ready.

I also like the fact that My Neighbors bought new Guns and Ammunition with the Corona Virus Aid Package. It's a peaceful lifestyle and if My car breaks down, I know Donny and the rest of the gang have My back.

Oh, We also have firepits and cook for one another.

I've lived in San Fran, Chicago and Denver back in the day, and it's just not for Me. Perhaps I'm an old Man now at 39 lol

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
If I can I would like to make two points. One I am not sure the work for home has staying power, unless you have osme type of monitoring system ( which I am not supporting ) to track a workers productivity. I mean is someone really working from home or are they playing playstation are they really working right now mutiltasking and streaming netflix at the same time? Unless there is something /someone to track a workers productivity I can;t see the work from home lasting. I know companies are telling people to work from home because of the saftey concerns but I don;t see the work from home trend lasting.

So basically you have no knowledge of what working from home actually is or entails because if you did you would realize that those same people playing games or looking at Netflix while working would be doing so regardless of where they are.

If you want to say that the mom and pop size businesses or non-technical business can't pull off long term WFH then maybe but calling it a trend is at best naive and at worst willfully uninformed. If you honestly think that people work less when working from home then you are simply wrong.

On top of that working from home isn't something new with COVID.

Huge, really business of all size, major, successful, multinational companies have been using WFH for years and will continue to leverage WFH as way to improve employee engagement. For example I have been a full time work from home employee for almost 2 years now. Productivity is much higher for me while inter office politics are harder and require a different topic.

In short, you dont seem to know much about working from home and in general when I retire I want to retire to Bozeman MT which sort of is relative to the OP.. =)

edit on 4-5-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I don't know... The standard of living in a small town is already leaps and bounds better than the standard of living in a big city.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think there are some people at the margins who will be moving to more rural or exurban areas. I am not convince it will be a huge wave of people though. Sheep have short memories.

There is nothing wrong with big city living. There is a vibrancy and diversity to living in a big city that you simply cannot replicate in rural areas. Anyone who has lived in Manhattan, downtown Chicago, San Fran, etc can attest to this.

With that said, it does get old after awhile, particularly as you mature and start families. When you are single or what is called a DINK (Dual Income, No Kids) then city living is extremely fun. However, once kids come into the picture, moving further out for more elbow room is almost a given for most people unless you are very well off.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I live in the Upper Peninsula, still got snowbanks around the driveway and snow in the woods and in the yard. At least there is a little brown showing, but it was all white again this morning for a while.

It was not bad sheltering in place when there was snow on the ground, but it is leaving. They better open up the UP again pretty quick or a lot of yoopers will be pissed when they lose their two months of spring, two months of fall and three days of summer.

If we get pissed we may blow the bridge and join Wisconsin.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Southwest Mi here about as far southwest as you can get. Our factories never closed some stuff that did is opening up lawn services just took their advertising off and went to work billing by the month anyway. Golf course is members only and serving food and drink $5 a day membership. Don't know of any business that hasn't opened if they did close.

Foo Foo Shops for the Chicago people are still closed. Summer rentals are closed till July and thats kind of funny a local had about 100 apartments and doubled the rent Jan 1 to get everyone to move out so he could convert to summer rentals.The city put a 1 year moratorium on new weekly rentals and the courts are closed to fight it. So 100 empty apartments for the next year.

Great times in the small towns.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Because of business, I have a home in a small village and an apt. in LA; both have advantages and both have drawbacks.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets
Not where I live.
Downtown condos cant be built fast enough right now in Indianapolis.
It's been trending that way for several years now.
I'm in the construction industry and see it firsthand, although everyone can see it.
What areas are you seeing people leaving cities?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

This was always my dream, to live some place cheaper, maybe in the far North, like Wyoming, or South, like Louisiana, where I don't mind the culture difference, save more money, and have a slower pace, while just telecommuting.
My job has been loathe to let anyone work outside the 2 hub offices and now we have all been working from home for almost 2 months so maybe it will be more palatable to them later.
IF we still have jobs. It is third party and relies heavily on the hospitality industry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join