It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Government Sponsored Food Shortages Next?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think we all saw the farmers intentionally wasting milk production. I think we all reached the conclusion that milk consumption is based on the size of the population and Not whether farmers are selling milk to businesses. They could have sold it to grocery stores and we (the people that ultimately pay for it) would have all seen prices plummet ... like they have in the oil industry. Loving those gas prices?

Milk Link

So now ... farmers are talking about slaughtering hogs and wasting pork production too. Sorry about the paywalled site ref

Meat prices are starting to surge on the disruptions. But with slaughterhouses closing, farmers don’t have a market for their animals. That’s causing hog futures to drop, potentially creating a situation where pigs get euthanized and buried as supplies back up. Meanwhile, retail costs may rise as grocery stores mandate rationing on pork chops.

Now, they say this is because Eight Meatpacking Plants Close In Weeks Across America Stoking Food Shortage Fears, but the industry is all about that bottom line. They not going to sell to YOU at a loss of $$$ that they were expecting. And, they can get away that because Your Government is subsidizing them with Your tax dollars.

Should be obvious how broke this situation really is. Do you see any of your elected officials addressing it?

Remember what it was like when you couldn't find butt-wipe on the shelves? It's easy to step-up paper production. Wait 'til you can't find meat. Do you know how long it takes to raise a pig? How long to raise a cow? Hint: You might not live that long ... once the zombies have missed nine meals.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I want to Snarl too

"Make sure you have enough to last a month"

"No more than 4 cans of soup or 2 dozen eggs"

"We have to dump our produce and plow it under"

"We are being jerked the frack around"

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argen
"We are being jerked the frack around"

You bet we are. TPTB are gonna eat. They don't care if your wife and kids do ... or not. You think a cattleman doesn't keep a few head off to the side (just-in-case)? The cattleman doesn't know you or your wife & kids. when the Government asks him if he wants to get paid (or not!), he puts his hand out and the cattle go under ground as fast as they did out there at the Bundy Ranch.

It's control. And hungry people don't fight for long nor do they tend to get along well with others.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Who's going to ignore the pandemic to go out in the fields and harvest tomato's or other truck crops or pick fruit.

Mexicans the usual harvest labor can't get across the border to work.

Food prices will reach astronomical levels.
edit on 24-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

They dump the milk because cheese/milk plants don't have enough workers, so we can't take too much milk now.

In top of that, schools are closed, they don't need milk neither.

Virus sent home or hospital our workers. Even my boss died 2 days ago.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Yup, all we need is just to listen to government and keep this up for another month or two. It'll all be fine, nothing bad will happen. The recovery will be instantaneous and we'll be right back to where we were before the virus hysterics shut things down.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   

That is the word I am hearing.

I have a feeling that those "farmers" we are hearing about are most likely the ones bought and paid for by the Corporations/Cult.

Either way, don't BS yourself. We are at WAR!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

If they are being subsidized why would they kill their pigs? Subsidies mean money to continue feeding and caring for the livestock, and since there are no expiration dates on live animals there is really no point in killing them. Even if it got to the point where they were populating too fast to be able to keep up with the demands of caring for them why not offer "free pigs, butcher them yourselves" to their neighbors? It's not like pig farms are in big cities where folks don't know what to do with them.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
If they are being subsidized why would they kill their pigs?

Probably because all of these subsidy programs are rushed to market ad hoc dog****.

Why not take the money for doing nothing? That's what government subsidies ultimately inspire.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
If they are being subsidized why would they kill their pigs? Subsidies mean money to continue feeding and caring for the livestock, and since there are no expiration dates on live animals there is really no point in killing them. Even if it got to the point where they were populating too fast to be able to keep up with the demands of caring for them why not offer "free pigs, butcher them yourselves" to their neighbors? It's not like pig farms are in big cities where folks don't know what to do with them.

Not quite right. The government subsidizes a farmer's production ... and for that ... they get a little say-so in the matter.

I grew up on a farm. We got no subsidies ... major tax breaks on our properties. And, we would have never 'euthanized' our cows, pigs, goats or chickens. Never!! We made money selling them (or what they produced). And, I never heard my old man complain more than when the neighbors were farming the way the government told them to. Plant this crop ... not that one. Raise these animals ... not the others.

Enough people put their hands out, got lazy, lost their farms to the bigger farmers ... ugly stuff when the gubment get their hands on it. My old man didn't die rich, but he lived long and was as strong as an ox all the way up to the end.

edit on 2442020 by Snarl because: OCD Spelling Champ

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Interesting that meat packing plants are closing due to illness.
Has anyone noticed any fast food restaurants, grocery stores or home improvement stores closed due to illness yet?

BTW, I manage an essential business. we had to lay off employees due to some of our customers being shut down by governors mandate, but we have had no employees sick with COVID (yet).
edit on b000000302020-04-24T09:42:59-05:0009America/ChicagoFri, 24 Apr 2020 09:42:59 -0500900000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The problem with milk is that they do not have enough consumer containers, a third of the milk sold in this country goes through different processing, much goes into bags to dispense in a machine while other stuff goes into little cartons for the schools. This means there is not enough production capability to keep all of the milk on the shelves. Plus, it takes a lot of food to feed a cow to produce high amounts of milk and if you cut back down or stop taking milk the cows produce less or none at all if they not milked. The only thing that can jump start a cow again is a bull jumping it and a pregnancy. Farmers are downsizing now and there are not enough slaughter houses that can process the beef into burger. That is about all it can be used for from an older cow.

With the high cost of feeding cows and throwing out milk, farmers would go belly up if they had to sell the milk for less, they do not get rich at this. Proof of dumping the milk gets them help from the government for the loss and on top of that keeps the price higher so all farmers can profit from producing milk. If there is not enough profit from their business, they will fold up....we are going to lose a lot of farmers in this overreaction to the pandemic.

So, I do not agree with the thread, you have to consider everything when evaluating things. I grew up on a farm and if the farm loses money you shut it down. Most farmers are working year to year and every year they are almost on the verge of bankruptsly, if you are going to bash profit taking, bash the people on Wall Street and yourself for not investing in necessary things we need in this country. People complain about milk going up a quarter but say nothing about paying a hundred bucks for a cell phone package. They complain about their cost of heating oil and gas but do not complain about the high price they pay in a restaurant and leave a generous tip for someone serving them in the restaurant. The waitress is a non-essential worker, the farmer and their help are essential workers, providing things our people need.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Who's going to ignore the pandemic to go out in the fields and harvest tomato's or other truck crops or pick fruit.

Mexicans the usual harvest labor can't get across the border to work.

Food prices will reach astronomical levels.

Yes...and no one to pick up milk....or it spoils. Michigan Ann Arbor potato farm...plowing under (no migrants this year).

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Milk consumption has been declining for decades who cares. Milk is not even needed. Water, beans, rice, seafood. Don't even need meat. Nice luxury but not needed. We usually do 2-3 meatless dishes a week. Get some canned good, rice, frozen vegetables or grow your own.

Now, if one is eating meat and woofing down cheeseburgers and pork chops yes. The price is going up. Maybe just change diets. A lot of people need to do that anyway so it's actually a good thing.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I guess those “Preppers” that have been demonized for so long might have seen something like this happening, damn it!

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, I do not agree with the thread, you have to consider everything when evaluating things. I grew up on a farm and if the farm loses money you shut it down. Most farmers are working year to year and every year they are almost on the verge of bankruptcy, if you are going to bash profit taking, bash the people on Wall Street and yourself for not investing in necessary things we need in this country.

We never came close to bankruptcy. Eventually the farm was cut back to what my old man could manage, but even then it wasn't breaking the bank. That's a process of understanding holistically what it takes to run a farm/farmland. Even the horse ranch next to us never had much trouble financially.

Farming is back-breaking work. Sun-up to sun-down ... every damned day. Not exactly in line with the point I'm making with the OP, but might shed some light on why some people are more than willing to quit.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, I do not agree with the thread, you have to consider everything when evaluating things. I grew up on a farm and if the farm loses money you shut it down. Most farmers are working year to year and every year they are almost on the verge of bankruptcy, if you are going to bash profit taking, bash the people on Wall Street and yourself for not investing in necessary things we need in this country.

We never came close to bankruptcy. Eventually the farm was cut back to what my old man could manage, but even then it wasn't breaking the bank. That's a process of understanding holistically what it takes to run a farm/farmland. Even the horse ranch next to us never had much trouble financially.

Farming is back-breaking work. Sun-up to sun-down ... every damned day. Not exactly in line with the point I'm making with the OP, but might shed some light on why some people are more than willing to quit.

I have known many farmers over the year, having grown up on a farm I learned to respect farmers...most, not all though, some will do anything to make an easy buck...but that was rare around here.

We grew food for a lot of people, it was only an eighty acre farm, but we had another forty that was used to make hay and we did plant some other stuff on that land on occasion, but the soils were not that great there for strawberries and it was separated by a forty from our two forty parcel. Our fields were about forty acres of the land.

My Uncle had an eighty acre parcel and farmed about twenty acres of it., plus of course hay fields he had that the neighbors got hay off of. My other uncle only planted about two acres of his land. I used to have to work quite a bit in the fields and sorting and grading veggies and berries. I made an offer on a hundred sixty acre farm from an older guy thirty years ago, I offered him a hundred grand but he was set on a hundred twenty. I should have given him the hundred twenty, the land tripled in value since then We bought this land which is five and a half acres, all usable, for seven grand after he turned us down. Then built our house. The farm needed a lot of work but the new owners did a nice job restoring it, the old owner sold forty acres to a friend, then sold the farm to the new people for eighty grand....Bummer, I would have given him eighty for the hundred twenty with the farm house, barn, and sauna on it. Oh well, I should have went up to one ten. I know the people who bought it, they are good people.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

When you start seeing more and more stories of factories being shut, produce dying in the fields it is easy to start to worry. The stories are creeping up more and more on the MSM. Are they softening us up for the big blow?

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well, people should not count on corporate farms.

There are plenty of small farmers, that sell their pigs/cows, to get butchered, that you can buy direct.

I will be buying a pig here in another couple weeks, when it goes to butcher.

Animals are treated 100% better at small farms anyway.

I don't believe this is going to get as bad as people think.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Amish don't give two hershey quirts about this virus. Neither did the Cajuns during the Great Depression. No impact on them. Only people it impacts severely are those who choose to lived stacked on top each other in large cities that rely only everyone else to support them exclusively. The same people who mock and ridicule flyover states. Not so funny anymore is it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join