It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Approaching Comet Atlas Might Be Fragmenting, Astronomers Reveal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
International Business Times Article

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with a heavy heart that I bring you this news about comet ATLAS possibly turning dud.

Astronomers revealed that the massive comet that’s approaching Earth might be breaking apart. According to their data, the comet, which could be bright enough to be spotted by the human eye, is starting to fade.

The comet had been rapidly brightening, and showed signs that it could be the most impressive northern hemisphere comet in decades by late April/early May. The dimming just recently observed, however, indicates it may be fragmenting.

Comet ATLAS is itself a fragment of the Great Comet of 1844, which must have been amazing to behold! I desperately want to experiemce such a comet in my lifetime.

While it's not a foregone conclusion that the comet is fragmenting, its not a good sign. We'll have to wait and see over the coming days.

On the other hand, this is good news for those worried that ATLAS is the dreaded "Blue Star Kachina" of Hopi prophecy, thought to signify the "end of the world / beginning of the new world." Although, of course, there are those who long for the destruction of the world, so I guess they'll be sad along with me if ATLAS goes dud.

Eh...Independent.UK source sounds more pessimistic

Bring on the next one!

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's just the mothership breaking into the smaller vessels...but seriously hope they're wrong, I was looking forward to viewing this comet.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

The worst part about promising comets going dud is that for the most part, we don't know when the next "maybe" good one is coming until its relatively close. Maybe another chance in a year, maybe 10.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   

The Atlas Comet is still relatively new to astronomers, and so little is still known about it and how it could have broken up. As such, it could still be visible from Earth – either as a whole object or broken into pieces – but scientists are unlikely to know for sure until it gets closer to Earth.

I'll keep my hopes up. Don't have much else to look forward to at the moment.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Dogmom

Indeed! We've seen surprises before. I'll still be on the lookout for news for a few days before I'm convinced!

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with a heavy heart that I bring you this news about comet ATLAS possibly turning dud.

Astronomers revealed that the massive comet that’s approaching Earth might be breaking apart. According to their data, the comet, which could be bright enough to be spotted by the human eye, is starting to fade.

The comet had been rapidly brightening, and showed signs that it could be the most impressive northern hemisphere comet in decades by late April/early May. The dimming just recently observed, however, indicates it may be fragmenting.

Comet ATLAS is itself a fragment of the Great Comet of 1844, which must have been amazing to behold! I desperately want to experiemce such a comet in my lifetime.

While it's not a foregone conclusion that the comet is fragmenting, its not a good sign. We'll have to wait and see over the coming days.

On the other hand, this is good news for those worried that ATLAS is the dreaded "Blue Star Kachina" of Hopi prophecy, thought to signify the "end of the world / beginning of the new world." Although, of course, there are those who long for the destruction of the world, so I guess they'll be sad along with me if ATLAS goes dud.

Eh...Independent.UK source sounds more pessimistic

Bring on the next one!
If it is fragmenting it would increase the chance of one of those fragments hitting the earth...So bad news all around

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I still have fond memories of Hale-Bopp. Can still remember walking around my college campus in the evenings and being amazed at how bright it was.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
I still have fond memories of Hale-Bopp. Can still remember walking around my college campus in the evenings and being amazed at how bright it was.

I was just getting ready to post the same. I was in college as well and remember on clear nights being amazed by the comet. It was almost surreal.
edit on 8-4-2020 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Another one fragments...after predictions of being the next great comet. I'm not surprised. Comets are tricky and impossible to predict.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Hale-Bopp was fantastic! I was also in my college years at the time, and while it was the first not-Halley's comet I ever actually saw, for some reason, it didn't quite register how special and rare a treat it was. Probably girls and partying held a higher percentage of my focus than space wonderment at the time.

Fond memories...back then, the news cycle was basically the news of the time (comet) being disrupted by the wild-eyed Heaven's Gate crazyhead preparing to hitch a ride on it. Simpler times!

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Okayy.. thats for march and april:

(x) nuclear forest fire
(x) virus epidemic
( ) comet of doom... hmmm... maybe we find a replacement. Something detrimental to the brain, maybe? A nice memetic hazard, hmmm?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Not to worry.

In much the same way Imperial Storm Troopers walk in single file to hide their numbers, the rebel fleet clumps together.

What you are seeing are just Red and Gold Squadrons splitting off from Admiral Akbar's capital ships.

Didn't know we were the bad guys in this prequel, huh?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Now doesn't this mean that one of the fragments has a greater chance at hitting Earth ?

edit on 4/8/2020 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

Now doesn't this mean that one of the fragments has a greater chance at hitting Earth ?

No. The fragments will continue on the original orbit, very gradually moving apart from each other.

But next time they come around, in 6025 years, maybe something bad will happen.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It seems like if it were breaking up, it would become brighter, at least for a short time.

You have dust created from the breakup, it would be exposing inner materials that have never seen the light of day, and it would have more surface area for the volatile frozen gasses to sublimate causing a larger gas cloud, pushing even more dust out with it.

So it might actually brighten as it approaches the sun.

All, theory of course.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Can't be worse as what's happening now, I say let it come down on us to get it over with. and those responsible sitting cozy within their bunkers can inherit this pesky place and stick it up to their @$$es

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
How does that work?

Is it just the orbit and we worry in 6025 years then again in 6185 years, or is it more confusing?

Edit to add...
Sorry, stupid question but the answer is below.
To be fair, the answer is also above when you gave it.
edit on 9-4-2020 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: Editing is fun

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

That's not correct.

They both came from the same parent that broke up ages ago. And that's only a suggestion, not sure how to prove it.

But we didn't see this thing in 1840, we may have seen its brother.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

6025 years is the orbital period of the comet. So in the year 8045 we should see this comet Atlas again and again in the year 14070...that is if it hasn't totally disintegrated by then.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire
Yeah, I was Trying to make sense of it being here in the 1840's.

Since it wasn't I realise its a stupid question.
Thanks for the answer though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join