It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking, vapeing and the china flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I quit smoking in 02 but still fee some residual affects from the years of smoking... Question....

Will this affect catching or the severity of the china flu?

And could smoking while sick W/Cov-19 be a death sentence?

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's a good question!

From what I understand smokers may have a layer of some kind of stuff coating their lungs that provides a slight bit of protection from initial infection, however once they do catch the virus smokers are worse off than non-smokers. I read that in a few places but can't remember where so it could be bogus- I'm on information overload right now.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Cool picture of an old man pulling down his mask to take a drag on his smoke. And partially answered my question.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I quit smoking in 02 but still fee some residual affects from the years of smoking... Question....

Will this affect catching or the severity of the china flu?

And could smoking while sick W/Cov-19 be a death sentence?

I read one of the reasons China and Italy were hit so bad is that they have far more smokers than we do in the US. China is the largest cigarette market. Also, combine that with the rampant pollution, it doesn't make for a good situation. Apparently something like 60% of DOCTORS smoke in China.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Could be down to hand to mouth contact but then again hacking out trapped inhaled virus might be more likely and getting rid of sputum by spitting it out would be second nature. It's hoped of you go in hospital you get a bucket to spit pnumonia fluid into , swallowing what you can cough out is not going to help.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Chinese grandpa gives no effs! lol!

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Im no doctor but I have stayed at a Holiday inn express.

But my advice if you are a smoker and end up in the ER with this and they ask you if you are a smoker ..LIE . Tell them no or you quit years ago.

You do not want to be possibly considered less likely to survive because you smoke. 30 years smoker here and thats exactly what i would tell them.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The propylene glycol vaping fluid kills viruses and bacteria. I don't think that vaping glycols is good for you though.

Most of the evidence of smoking being bad for you relates to smoking over a pack a day. There are a small percentage of people who smoke less that can still get cancer and other diseases though.

I cannot tell anyone for sure that vaping won't increase your risk of getting this disease though, I observed some of the evidence, but there are lots of non direct enzymes and pathways that could be involved that could also be relevant. Medicine focuses on one thing, like tobacco, they said smoking it was bad...you need to quit. Then the people gain weight and other problems develop. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: sobored

But my advice if you are a smoker and end up in the ER with this and they ask you if you are a smoker ..LIE . Tell them no or you quit years ago.

You do not want to be possibly considered less likely to survive because you smoke. 30 years smoker here and thats exactly what i would tell them.

For a moment, I thought, "well, that's kinda paranoid ..."

Then I realized, you're exactly right - if it comes to an allocation of resources - like "which patient gets the ventilator", a smoker or former smoker will probably be on the bottom of the list. Of course, it may already be in your medical records so there's that...

To the OP, it may affect the severity if you develop it, in that smoking probably damaged your lungs and this virus is known, in complicated cases, to damage lung tissue, all of which affects the ability to do gas exchange. But if you don't suffer any ill effects from smoking now, your additional risk of complication is probably not that great

That said, I'd do everything you can to avoid catching it in the first place - every day that goes by that you don't have it is a day closer to treatments and vaccines.

If you really want to look for a silver lining, it's likely that, globally, the issue of lung damage by the virus might lead to more research and better treatments in the future for those that have it. I get the idea that such research isn't super-high on the list of priorities - despite diseases like COPD being the 3rd leading cause of death in the US - I didn't look hard, but looks like NIH funds around $100m worth of research, similar to funding levels for ALS, adolescent sexual activity, cervical cancer, and back pain.

Meanwhile, Alzheimers research, while accounting for less than half the mortalities, gets over $6 *billion* dollars in research.

Why? The attitude reflected in the quote above - there's a widespread attitude in medicine and elsewhere that smokers deserve what they get.

Maybe so, maybe no - but considering the billions they paid in taxes to support the governments addiction to money, I think a little consideration is in order ...

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I've already decided I'm doing that.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I doubt if a Dr. could tell you are a smoker by looking at your fingers or using a tongue depressor to look down your throat like they do during a prelim examinations. Doctors are so stupid as are nurses and most health care professionals....

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12 To be honest seems the way to catch Corona virus is stepping in a pile of bull#,one consistancy to story

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I doubt if a Dr. could tell you are a smoker by looking at your fingers or using a tongue depressor to look down your throat like they do during a prelim examinations. Doctors are so stupid as are nurses and most health care professionals....

Well with all this handwashing going around people fingers are not going to be yellow. Mine have cleared up lol. And with a sickness like this a doctor wont be able to tell just by looking at your throat.

Either way i will still lie my ass off if they ask

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Well with all this handwashing going around people fingers are not going to be yellow. Mine have cleared up lol. And with a sickness like this a doctor wont be able to tell just by looking at your throat.

Either way i will still lie my ass off if they ask

Who knows, perhaps smoking is a preventive measure to covid19....keep it up!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
My GF has a vape pin filled with a 420+cbd preparation. I admit I take a pull on that rascal from time to time.

new topics

top topics

join