It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You and your dumb phones!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Holy crap !! That is one disturbing article. I lost my iPhone a month ago and haven't even bothered to get a new one.

I found that I'm a lot less stressed and have a lot of time to read REAL books!

About being tracked buying a loaf of bread, I hope your car was made in the 90's.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun
You mean this Edward Snowden?

One of my favorite quotes.

Unfortunately Drums, my livelihood depends on that Orwellian device to a great extent. I don't like it, but I have to tolerate it for a while longer.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but flip phones can be tracked and have their data points collected as well. Even really old ones will show the changing of towers if nothing else.

Oh, and because 3G phones will not work on 5G, carriers are forcing upgrades...otherwise your phone will one day no longer work but you still get billed.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Of course.
I just informed my boss that I won't be carrying a phone anymore.
Its a flip phone but as you said, it can still be tracked.

Dumb phones are a whole other can of worms and I don't get why people CHOOSE to allow crap like data mining, tracking your location and listening to you via alexis or google...etc etc etc
It lacks common sense IMO.

That article I posted is almost an " I told you so" piece as far as I am concerned.....thats exactly why I don't have a dumb phone and why I posted this.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I wish I still had a "trimphone". Remember them? Very 70's.

I ordered the cheapest mobile I could find FROM CHINA that cost about $12.

They sent me an all singing all dancing smartphone costing $350 instead....lol

I use it for an alarm clock and on my home wifi to listen to internet radio. That's about it.

It doesn't even contain or need a sim card.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I’m tired of worrying about who is “tracking” or “watching “ me.
I don’t care , I have nothing to hide.
I say bring it on, the lines have been drawn and people can see the truth, it’s just a matter of choosing a side, the face of evil has reared it’s ugly head!
Stop worrying and being afraid!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: choomsuba

Just for you, it was already posted once.

I’m tired of worrying about who is “tracking” or “watching “ me. I don’t care , I have nothing to hide.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Mine was actually a gift. It's an android. I disabled all the Google junk but I'm ironically one of the least paranoid people on earth of being tracked. I never do anything that would warrant a knock on my door anyway.

I don't want to give it up. It's interactive reading while I'm on the john. I hardly use any apps but the browser and the weather, I despise of traditional social media, and I love having a back up GPS in case I get lost driving.

Not all 21st century technology is junk. It's how you use it that makes the difference. Scrolling book of faces staring at your exes new fling all day? Dumb.

Using it to learn word of the day, read ATS on the can, and have real time weather all the time?
Smart.

This message was brought to you from da can. Hey, need some extra TP?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

iPhone sitting beside me. How often does it travel when I do...nothing integrates with the car if that gives you a hint.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Crosswinds
It's not the tech as much as it is the people behind the tech, and by extension public and private interests with a complete lack of respect for the law of the land and the citizens who live by it.

I never do anything that would warrant a knock on my door anyway.

The Jews didn't do anything that would warrant a knock on their door either, but we know how that worked out.

It's how you use it that makes the difference.

It may make a difference in your mind, but it makes little difference to those spying on you 24/7. They're just glad you and I have that tech in our possession.

If you have any interest, take a look at constitutional amendments 1, 3, 4, 5, and 9.

edit on 3/24/2020 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Replies in indignant Samsung...

I don't disagree with anything you've said and I honestly get and share your outrage. But that cat is out of the bag. In fact it's been out so long that it had kittens, that had kittens of their own - and so many generations have passed that the cats are now an invasive, dominant species that have decimated the entire ecosystem.

Stores and streets are lined with cameras, cameras that run facial recognition software and track you.

Your ISP and most websites are just as invasive if not in different ways.

Don't have a smart phone? No worries, everyone around you who does is still pinging your image and voice into the cloud whenever you're near them.

If there's any comfort it's that there are billions of us to keep tabs on. We're grains of sand on the beach... And a grain of sand has to do something really, really stupid or amazing to stand out.

edit on 3/24/20 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Good points.
Yeah none of this stuff bothers me, particularly. I see where it would bother some people but I just don't care enough. I'm too chill.

Either get rid of the phone, or enjoy it and not worry, what's gonna happen, a couple MIBs knockin on my door because I googled UFOs?

Like you said. Then you get rid of your phone and your friends or family members phones start spying on you.
May as well stop going in public because of security cameras.

May as well avoid the flu shot because of those RFIDs they inject. Ok, kidding there. But the reality is, there's always gonna be eyes on you no matter what you do unless you lock down inside of your house and get rid of your phone..internet..everything.

I'll take my weather app and GPS thanks.

edit on 24-3-2020 by Crosswinds because: Wording

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

"Smart phones are in the possession of dumb people."

That's quality work by a mod, calling a segment of your users dumb. With top notch work like this we should all go to BiN and complain about the man more and more. TPTB are coming to get you , hide your phones!

I have 2 smart phones currently due to the work I do so let me play your game.

You are a mod on a insecure conspiracy site, any quality red team would have a good time with ATS, filled with people that believe the Earth is flat, we have never been to space and TPTB are just waiting to take over the world and you are calling a % of your users dumb ? Lulz..

Yes I do know who Snowden is..Yes I had a security clearance during my time in the Defense Industry and because of those years in that world I don't view Snowden as a hero but I bet you are one of those "awakened minds" that parade him around as some kind of savior while ignoring all the things he did wrong..

Hey though call your users dumb again because it makes you feel safer.

:up

Also normally people that make posts like your OP are typically afraid , paranoid or uninformed on technology so if that is the case their are multiple things you can do to mitigate that fear you have. Plenty of us on this site can give you advice on those steps if interested.
edit on 24-3-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Then turn off your GPS... far out.

Put it in airplane mode. Who cares.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I do care about free speech, and I care about the right to privacy but I will not be cowed In to silence because I think they are tracking me!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Most people can still get landlines that are true landlines. No modems or internet. Obviously those wires can still be tapped, but require physical access. But at least it stays home and you can be conscious that you have not volunteered for insta-tap devices in every corner of your dwelling giving them a total 360 realtime layout.

Rely on the public hotspots, maintaining a dot in a horde of dots on a map instead of an all up in your grill precision scalpel up to your neck in your own home.

Get mobile data on your device and keep the power source seperated from it in an insulated box to keep your pings from showing up on their HUD's. So imagine a world where it has shifted back to public phones and land lines. People can still get their. Well phones, but many would just get data plans on those, keep the internet out of the home from linking all devices.

It's a simple concept called, don't be lazy just move. Entirety of human history has evolved without being able to talk to a computer and order to change your lighting, your home temps, order food, show you a route, move money between your accounts. Now the state wants to force your connection to their servers for kids school.

I choose not to have a home internet connection because I have running water and electricity and a single controlled access mobile device. The antenna and the radio have plenty of free broadcast entertainment.

So they essentially make the goal for you to have the ultimate 360 degree wiretap of you as if some packagedmerchandise on a shelf ripe for picking. What happens when they say if you don't get a tap into your home, we will take the running water and electricity that you pay for with cash at a teller. Because they deserve a job too. Why have people become of the mindset that living the same as merely twenty years ago is not feasible??

Vanity has a very large part to play. Fuels the ego, the computer is the assistant of the hustle and bustle superstar that chooses to flood their life with distraction after distraction, chipping away at free time and ones connection to Earth. Get those hands dirty, dig your toes into the Earth. Feel it's energy pass through you.

There was a time when producing your own food was mandatory to survival. When we allow others to control that, well we get the kind of self destructive policies we been seeing this month from those who tell you how to live.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
My phone has improved my quality of life. 📱

I carry almost a thousand books in my pocket. Thousands more are available to me. 📚

My friends and all but one member of my family are dead. I text with my sister in Colorado all day. 📮📭📨

I look at beautiful pictures and listen to and watch quality media, which I choose instead of watching the crapshoot that is cable/satellite. 📺 📻

I take photos. 📸

I conduct business from wherever I am. 📝💼

My phone has improved my quality of life. 📱

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I dont mean to disturb ya..

But if you have any connection to the world at large, possession (or not) of a phone is largely immaterial.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

HEFFFFFF! OMG It's all my favorites in here. Long time no see! I had to say hi!!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

There is a few things I disagree on this thread. First of all the inane generalisation. Calling everyone who owns a smartphone an idiot is just as stupid as doing all sorts of transactions on a phone device.

I have what you might call a smartphone. It's not as smart as the famous ones but it is basically a mini computer. Everything I can switch off, is 'said to be off' [even if they trick us with that, I feel totally happy with my choices if anything ever came of it, they would have to explain why they knew 'my secret' even though I switched the function off].
Anyway.
I make about 1-2 calls a month to my family and sometimes in a shop to find my husband.

I use my phone mostly for reading books on, taking pictures and staying in contact with my best friend of over 50 years at any time. A quick message and a smile makes me feel she is in the same country as me. It also comes in handy when we are lost by car [we have no GPS - now there is a snoopy device]. Or to find out knowledge in a few seconds.

That's it. I am in no fear and I certainly am no idiot. The advantages are 100% outweighing the dangers of 'them' doing something with my really boring data [the little that they get].

If you however have an expensive one, carry it around with you everywhere with all options on, from tracking to sharing everything you do with all websites you are connected to. Then yes you could be in trouble if you ever murder anyone or plot an attack or just use it for general criminal activity.
Otherwise you could be in danger to be put into a concentration camp if at one point in life the government wants to get rid of you. Maybe they could link a place you went to with something if they really wanted to.

TBH It's good old safety in numbers. the more people use it, the less important an individual becomes. I will even go as far as to say that in today's world you are probably far more likely to get flagged [as a weirdo etc] if you don't own one. You'll stand out like a sore thumb and 'they' could think that you are one of those troublemakers that needs watching.

I think mini computers [aka] mobiles are pretty neat in responsible hands.
Same with everything.

I don't know where you think you get the right from to call anyone an idiot without distinction. That's pretty dumb.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join