It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"And so it begins"- A line stolen from Adolf Hitler?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
After the war, Basil Liddell Hart was interviewing German generals ("The other side of the Hill"), to discover what the war looked like from their side of the line. That includes the arrival of the news of the D-day landings

"Hitler, like Churchill, had a habit of staying up until long after midnight" (p406). However, there was an important difference. Churchill would still be awake betimes in the morning, ready even before he got up to start dictating his "morning prayers" ("Pray tell me..." "Pray let me have, on one sheet of paper..."). Hitler left orders, or let it be understood, that he did not want to be awoken. "It appears that on D-day, Jodl, reluctant to disturb Hitler's late morning sleep, took it upon himself to resist Rundstedt's appeal for the release of the OKW reserves... The daily conference on the situation took place about noon".

"Warlimont recalled that Hitler, on entering the room, said, in an unusually strong Austrian dialect, laughing oddly; 'So, anganga ist's'

The translation given is "So, at last it's begun". I don't know German, even without the strong Austrian dialect, but I can count only three words in that remark. I take it that the translator has added "at last" for the sake of clarity. So, for practical purposes, allowing for difference in idiom, Adolf Hitler has just said "And so it begins".

Ah well. "Why should the devil have all the best tunes?" Why should the bad guys keep all the best lines?
edit on 15-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well said and a completely accurate interpretation .

But I would like to add one small factoid to the events of June 6 in France .

Many say the success of the Normandy invasion is owed to a pair of woman's size 5-1/2 shoes.

That why Erwin Rommel was away 5-1/2 is his wife’s shoe size which he delivered to her on her birthday June 6th.

Rommel wouldn’t have sat on his hands .

I feel like Paul Harvey . Lol

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown
Thank you. One effect of confused leadership (I see on the next page) is that the 21st Panzer division, the only one in the immediate area, was initially left without orders. They initiated a counter-attack on the east bank of the Orne against the paratroops, and were then ordered to attack on the west bank instead, with the result that neither attack was actually carried out in full vigour.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
You're looking at the right-hand side of that page. On the left side, it says June the sixth. (The two sides also differ on the spelling of her middle name)
Liddell Hart reports Blumentritt as saying "Rommel was quietly given leave by OKW to attend his wife's birthday celebrations".

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Well, that's interesting. Someone should correct that.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Her birthday was May 6th.

Next time and especially when confronting me .

Double check your sources

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I’d have to double check this. But from memory even after Adolf Hitler awoke he still held back the panzers believing Normandy was a feign.

If they would’ve responded anywhere near the way they did at Anzio . It would have probably prolonged the war and caused the Western allies to push up through the meat grinder known as Italy .

After pushing us back into the sea that would’ve been it for the invasion of France.

Many of the German resources would have been shifted east against Russia .

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

that's not from hitler. that's from lord of the rings.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   

So what begins, 3.5 years, 7 years or the end is beginning

“Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas.”

www.azquotes.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The story is that 21st Panzer was already there, "lay between Caen and Falaise". It was the reserve divisions elsewhere that were being held back.
The leading elements of 12 Panzer began to arrive late that night (p408). The Panzer Lehr division began to arrive late on the 8th, and these three divisions "were frittered away in efforts to fill gaping holes".

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

hittler was a rotthschild.
the reason he is, and remains very popular (turn on the tv, you will see a scary nazy somewhere on some channel as you flip, i dare you, go try it right now.)

the reason hittler remains so prominent is because 'they' need a villain so they can continue to exact protocolic control over the world.

so anytime someone mentions hittler to me, i think, oh, they fell into the agenda trap.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo
Hitler was certainly not quoting from Lord of thr Rings, because he made his remark long before the film was made.
Of course I had to add the question mark to "stolen from Hitler", because it could just be a case of similar response to similar circumstances.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

A cleaner German version of what Adolf said might be:

"So, angegangen ist es" (which sounds odd to me and I doubt Germans today would say it like that, at the least, the word order appears wonky).

"So, it has gone on", or better rendered, "So, it has begun" (which is practically identical to the version you chose).

Cheers

edit on 15-3-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
The general reporting the scene said that Hitler was speaking "in an unusually strong Austrian dialect". Reverting under stress, perhaps. I think the testimonies were being taken by personal interview, so the actual spelling of the remark may have been filtered through Liddell Hart's mind as well as Warlimont's.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
J.R.R. Tolkien Biography
(1892–1973)
Books: 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings'
"The award-winning fantasy novel The Hobbit — about the small, furry-footed Bilbo Baggins and his adventures — was published in 1937, and was regarded as a children’s book, though Tolkien would state the book wasn’t originally intended for children. He also created more than 100 drawings to support the narrative.
Tolkien released part one of the series, The Fellowship of the Ring in 1954; The Two Towers and The Return of the King followed in 1955, finishing up the trilogy. The books gave readers a rich literary trove populated by elves, goblins, talking trees and all manner of fantastic creatures, including characters like the wizard Gandalf and the dwarf Gimli."

www.biography.com...

Always a book before the movie. I have the whole collection.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cprnicus
I have the book, but I don't think the famous line comes from the book. If anyone was borrowing (and of course the coincidence may be just a coincidence), it would have been the scriptwriter.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Austrian here, from roughly the same region hitler was - so our dialect is pretty similar.

"So at last it`s begun" is definatly not 100% right transalted.

"So it begins" is the wrong time. "So it started" or "So it began" would come closest to the correct translation.

The way he said it is a pretty standard saying in austrian dialect.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sanitarium79
Thank you for that help. Yes, I suppose I'm stretching it a bit.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Next time and especially when confronting me .

Double check your sources

Okay tough guy, I'll have the internet correct that for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join