It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When should we keep students home from school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
👋🏻 Sorry this posted before I could add content.

My kids schools don’t seem too concerned or like they will be closing any time soon in light of this pandemic. Some family members who are usually very calm and composed have talked to me today urging me to take the kids out of school. I was wondering if anyone else with kids was making that call or has already, and how you went about it.
If you could share what your plan is I would really appreciate it. University’s are closing and it seems like something should be happening here at the lower school level

edit on 11-3-2020 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

Think of it this way.. Italy has one of the TOP best healthcare systems in the world. Even better than USA!

They are becoming overrun in the matter of weeks. They shut down their schools and universities weeks ago and the pandemic spiraled out of control. So they made a good call, but it wasn't good enough.

Heed their warning. We are lucky to not be there and get this sort of warning before it happens to us. If it can happen in Italy, it CAN happen to any country. I would not go to school anymore from this point forward. I live in central Canada and my work is already preparing to make people work from home.

Side note:

As far as we know, kids are fine and more resilient to the virus; but who knows if they can be carriers and just spread it to the elderly or yourself. Then you can be in big trouble.

Public school is bad for kids anyways.
edit on 11-3-2020 by IrateCanadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Nope, haven’t considered it. In fact, my kids are getting on a plane in two days to see me — yay!

Control out of chaos. This is a test to see just how stupid we are to start giving up our rights — in the name of health and safety.

We always knew this would be how they gradually force us into submission.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Ask the kids, they will say close the schools right now, and skip the online classes too because a virus might come through the computer.

There is no way to stop this virus from completing it's mission, that ship has sailed a while back already.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
When should we keep students home from school?

When they are stupid thugs that ruin other students ability to learn.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: IrateCanadian

I just read on another thread that the Italian healthcare is absolute shhite. That's from the officials who tried to figure out why there are so many cases in Italy. [Age and inadequate healthcare].
Is it top notch or crap?

In the end most won't get it, those that do will survive and some will have it and not notice. If you are very old and have underlying illnesses, you are always more likely to have a bad outcome from any virus you catch.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Texas here

we'll know in 5 day's....imo
edit on 11-3-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, MSU just closed down, only online classes.(a big college here in MI)

So I'm guessing they won't close regular schools for a month or so.

I'm really not sure of the logic being used right now.

Thankfully, young kids seem to handle this better.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Im concerned about this too. I take care of my grandkids their dad has a serious illness, and Im in my 60s with lung issues, so Im worried about them bringing it home. Within the last 2 months they have brought home 2 flu's and hoof and mouth from school.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Same happens here in Finland, our prime minister who is very young and it seems to me that she has no idea or exprerience of this kind of scenario what we are living worldwide today, said today "If we shut down kindergartens and schools like Italy, its effects on society would be much more dramatic than the effects of the virus itself. It is up to decision-makers to look at society as a whole, she recalled." --very stupid--

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I think Universities closing is acceptable.
There is a much higher level of travel amongst university students.
Many being out of country locations.

However, if your city is being hit by the virus, I'd consider keeping my kids home.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I started in May of 2017...

That said, YOU keep yours home when YOU feel it's time. You are the parent, therefore the rest of the world (including those put in society's artificial position of presumed authority over the children God entrusted you and your husband with) can go suck eggs. If you feel like they are safer in your own home, then now is the time.

PS: Hi!

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

When you no longer feel comfortable sending them out of the house.
It’s your prerogative and I’m sure that any kind of truancy issues can be easily fought right now.
You could even pull them out to homeschool, depending on your state/country, and not have to worry about the truancy issues at all.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What are you going to do when they close for two or three weeks and after that time we still have a pandemic going on?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

School shooters kill more students than it coronavirus ever will.

Do not worry about high school or college or grade school students being killed by Coronavirus.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

My kids are in K & 2nd grade at a school which is at least 1/3 Japanese - so Coronavirus has already affected many of the their families back in Japan. The school just sent a message out today that there are currently no closing plans, but that anyone who wants tokeep the kids home from this point until further notice will be considered excused absences.

If they do decide to stay home, they're working on contingency learning plans (online, etc.) so the kids don't miss out on too much.

If schools shut down, my wife will have to stay home from work to stay with the kids, and my business will likely slow down right when its supposed to speed up. A heat wave can't come soon enough.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Well, MSU just closed down, only online classes.(a big college here in MI)

So I'm guessing they won't close regular schools for a month or so.

I'm really not sure of the logic being used right now.

Thankfully, young kids seem to handle this better.

CMU is having students do online classes when they get back from spring break next week for one week, then they'll re-evaluate. I also heard U of M is doing the same as MSU. There are only another half dozen large universities here in Michigan, they'll all probably follow suit soon.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian

Think of it this way.. Italy has one of the TOP best healthcare systems in the world. Even better than USA!

They are becoming overrun in the matter of weeks. They shut down their schools and universities weeks ago and the pandemic spiraled out of control. So they made a good call, but it wasn't good enough.

Heed their warning. We are lucky to not be there and get this sort of warning before it happens to us. If it can happen in Italy, it CAN happen to any country. I would not go to school anymore from this point forward. I live in central Canada and my work is already preparing to make people work from home.

Side note:

As far as we know, kids are fine and more resilient to the virus; but who knows if they can be carriers and just spread it to the elderly or yourself. Then you can be in big trouble.

Public school is bad for kids anyways.

Italy has lots of older people!!

Linky

One factor affecting the country’s death rate may be the age of its population—Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older, according to The New York Times. The median age in the country is 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the United States, the Times reported. Many of Italy’s deaths have been among people in their 80s, and 90s,

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for all of the input. Our schools are open but I’m calling today the last day.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I started in May of 2017...

That said, YOU keep yours home when YOU feel it's time. You are the parent, therefore the rest of the world (including those put in society's artificial position of presumed authority over the children God entrusted you and your husband with) can go suck eggs. If you feel like they are safer in your own home, then now is the time.

PS: Hi!

Hey there

<<   2 >>

join