It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Valve releases Half-Life: Alyx Gameplay Videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
With just 20 days to go before the release of Half-Life: Alyx Valve have dropped 3 gameplay videos showing different parts of the game , probably the most anticipated VR title in the short history of VR.
The first video starts on a train ... ah the memories.

As well as a VR headset you will need a system with at least a Core i5-7500 3.4GHz or Ryzen 1600 processor coupled with a GeForce GTX 1060 to run Half-Life: Alyx at minimum requirements which should return around 30FPS on low settings. System memory for min is 12 GB.

Yeah I know they're beefy specs but this is the future.

edit on 3-3-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This just gave me massive goosebumps. This might be the closest thing to a full blown Half-Life3 we will ever get.
Guess it`s time to get a new computer asap! (and for a replay of half-life2 lol)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I don’t know if this is really the future bro. I can’t knock it hard corps here but my gut tells me augmented reality with mobile devices is going to shine over in the future and the vr will be for a niche crowd and used for training in various applications. I think it’s really cool and all but I haven’t seen anything yet that really makes me a believer. It almost seems that no one has set the bar yet for what a full length quality game in but should be yet so maybe this will be the one.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Visually stunning but the way of moving seems radically different and a little weird. It's possible the yellow arc and legs thing are only used to simulate running but I dunno?

I've recently replayed Half-Life, Half-Life2, HL Episode One, HL Episode 2, Lost Coast and I'm working my way through Black Mesa and I don't even like video games and suck at them but the story and mythos is what hooked me on this franchise.

My Ryzen CPU and 32GB of RAM are up to snuff but my older Nvidia card isn't and I don't have the money for the VR kit anyway so it's pretty moot.

HL2 is what really got my 22-year old grandson into gaming and I'm sure he's gearing up for this release. Maybe he'll invite his granny over for a go at it?

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Soon time to dust off the ole Index!

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Don't like the click to walk at all, steals all of the immersion ...looks nice though

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sakrateri
Don't like the click to walk at all, steals all of the immersion ...looks nice though

Valve designed the game for teleport movement but have also added smooth move for those who don't have a problem with motion sickness , I think given the game is going to run at sub-optimal frame rates for many gamers teleport is going to be necessary for long play sessions , Alex is said to be around 15 hours long.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This video explains the movement and movement options. Seems like Valve had their thinking caps on when they went to work on this.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I don’t know if this is really the future bro. I can’t knock it hard corps here but my gut tells me augmented reality with mobile devices is going to shine over in the future and the vr will be for a niche crowd and used for training in various applications. I think it’s really cool and all but I haven’t seen anything yet that really makes me a believer. It almost seems that no one has set the bar yet for what a full length quality game in but should be yet so maybe this will be the one.

It interesting how many people don't actually realize how good VR is... theres a ton of prejudice out there... most from those that haven't actually tried it... (not that im saying you haven't)

I bring my quest around for demos... and every time i only get one response...

Wow... i gotta get one of these... and the quest isn't even "high end" VR...

AR on the other hand is still years off in comparison... price tag as it stands is insanity... and you won't even get good material...

VR is for real... its here, and always getting better... AR is a gimmick... and will be for a long time

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

They make some insanely cool games now that look and feel real and normal as ever. For every VR game that I have that also allows regular non VR game play... I just can't play it in RR. I have to play it in VR or it just takes away so much from the game. Granted, some games are a real pain in the arse for VR but those would be the games that really aren't for VR anyways. Good example... Elite Dangerous. I can't even play that game with a flight stick or KB. It's one of the most control complicated games I've ever played so it just collects virtual dust. I spend 60$ on it too. Huge waste. Guess there is a such thing as too many controls for a game.

VR - hands down... awesome unbelievable experience for children and adult (and I do mean adult) gameplay alike..

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

See I have Elite... I don't play it much anymore, but I found the controls very easy... the learning curve is mighty steep but once you've figured out the basics everything falls into place... I found the VR experience very immersive but it can be very boring jumping from place to place on long journeys. For the most part I only played in VR when I knew there was something I wanted to see or deep core mining... which is just amazingly fun

Never tried it with a HOTAS though, I've been a PC gamer most of my life so using the Keyboard and mouse came naturally... and I've been told the best pilots all use keyboard & mouse but who knows... I don't pvp, im the explorer type, and I suck at flight combat lol

Yeah there are a sh!t tons of controls but they all have their purpose... with a keyboard you have enough buttons, whereas mapping all the controls on a joystick... well that's just insanity to me considering mostly all of them don't have even close to enough buttons to cover half of the controls

but yeah, this is what I've been telling people for over a year now.... VR is awesome... don't judge IF you've never even tried it, because once you put on a good set, theres no going back... you'll want it

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I have the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas 4. It has I think 12 buttons and with Elite I can program up to 18 with multi button press. Still didn't have enough buttons! lol

Perhaps I'm just looking at the game from a complicated angle. When playing with the KB, there are so many keys mapped that it's hard to get everything to move together in a workable way. Like head view (cockpit view and controls) vs ship vs ship control and so forth. One day I'll spend some time with everything once more and see what I can come up with. It looks great in VR... I just suck at controlling it. I don't think I've ever played anything this complicated from go and I play a lot of deep strategy games and similar type exploration games. However, I bought the flight stick specifically for this game since I couldn't figure it out with just a mouse and keyboard. I couldn't make the control panel work on the bottom left and right of the pilot. I could press one button but never could get the sub tabs to do what I needed to even land lol

I'm excited for this year in VR!

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
IGN recently got hands on with Half-Life: Alyx for the first 4 hours of the game , below is a video of their impressions.

Half-Life has returned! We played the first four hours of Half-Life: Alyx, the VR first-person shooter set five years before the events of Half-Life 2, and were amazed by what we saw.

But more importantly they've released 9 minutes of direct capture gamplay from their session , the video shows both blink movement and continuous.

Continuous for me.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm just looking for anything new in VR.

I feel the material being released is real lack luster small budget stuff.

Resident evil in vr was crazy...just remake any resident evil in VR and I'm sold.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Pre-load has started so that seemed like a good time to get the game and take advantage of the discount , as the system requirements don't mention it I can reveal the game is 48gb.

Jut got to wait till after work on Monday now ... who launches a bloody game on a Monday !
***shakes fist at Valve***

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Edge magazine is the first to publish a review of Half Life Alyx , the game received a review score of 9/10.
Anyone familiar with Edge magazine will know they set a pretty high bar for the games it reviews so a score of 9/10 is a positive indication for the scores Half Life Alyx will achieve.
www.reddit.com...
imgur.com...
Only 26.5 hours left to wait.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The Angry Joe review, heaps of praise 9/10

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
That's all Im hearing on my FB vr group... nothing but "OmG the graphix are amazing"

Might be my next AAA purchase...

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   

That's all Im hearing on my FB vr group... nothing but "OmG the graphix are amazing"

I've only played an hour so far but yeah graphix are amazing , plus you're in the Half Life world.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   

$70?!?!??!

new topics

top topics

join