It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Has Become America's First Third World State

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Blue Shift

Sorry, ZERO compassion for anyone who steals mine or anybody else's sh#t. They can WORK for it like honest people. That said, I would help you up and get you medical attention after one of the not "quite as fortunate" mugged you for drug money. Or am I prioritizing too much?

The government steals all our earnings, without working for a penny of it, but they aren't considered thieves or criminals, because they make the rules, and laws, so it's not theft.... they say it is 'income tax'.

Sh&& is still sh^(^, by any other name, in fact.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: richapau
a reply to: Riffrafter

Yeah, 3rd world state with a GDP bigger than any other state in the country. Get real you idiot.

I hope you're talking about the author of the article.

Because if not - any time you want to match intellects - I'm your Huckleberry.

I'l bury you.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 04:03 AM
link   
California also can boast that they have a deadly supervolcano in Long Valley. The caldera contains 240 cubic miles of magma... Actually you have 3 calderas that are at the top of the threat risk .. but the one in Long Valley is cranky. Cali might get its wish.. these suckers will blow like a chain of c4 on a bunker and set you all afloat. Youll wind up in China or something.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Compare say Sundance the Steakhouse in Palo Alto to say Opus Prime Steakhouse in Oklahoma City (For the record I have eaten at both and they are some of the best around) and the Wedge at Opus is like half a basketball and the blue cheese dressing so thick it can hold up a fork!

Damn!

How long has Sundance been open?

It wasn't there when I lived there - and I *definitely* would have gone as I'm a steak house guy.

When I die I told my Lady Love to see if she can spread my ashes at Capital Grille or Morton's.

Failing that, a Viking funeral in a flaming boat off the cost of the NJ shore will have to do.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
California also can boast that they have a deadly supervolcano in Long Valley. The caldera contains 240 cubic miles of magma... Actually you have 3 calderas that are at the top of the threat risk .. but the one in Long Valley is cranky. Cali might get its wish.. these suckers will blow like a chain of c4 on a bunker and set you all afloat. Youll wind up in China or something.

I thought the real super caldera was under Wyoming.

And yes, Cali seems to be cranky in many areas of earth science.

The price you pay for paradise, I guess.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Blue Shift

Sorry, ZERO compassion for anyone who steals mine or anybody else's sh#t. They can WORK for it like honest people. That said, I would help you up and get you medical attention after one of the not "quite as fortunate" mugged you for drug money. Or am I prioritizing too much?

Somehow I don't think you're really sorry, but rather something or someone in this world has taken a sad toll on you. I hope you find your peace with it before you need someone's help. As we all do eventually.
Have you ever had armed robbers threaten to blow your head off for 45 minutes? Been the victim of the knockout game? Fruitlessly chase a thief riding off on your expensive bicycle? These are but a few of the things I’ve experienced with folks who’ve “taken a sad toll” on me. I hate criminals. They ruin it for all of us. We used to leave our windows and doors unlocked when I was a boy.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

They have been around since 1974 I think. Family run deal and the French Dip and prime rib is heavenly

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Back on topic:

Yes California is not some sort of Utopia it has its issues JUST like any other state. Since it is (or at least perceived) as the resistance and thus many conservatives have a hard on for the state it gets the lions share of the criticism. Fair enough we are used to it.

Perhaps if some of the states that suck at the Federal teet for way more than their share should perhaps give up a bit to help solve the homeless issue?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

They have been around since 1974 I think. Family run deal and the French Dip and prime rib is heavenly

I can't believe I missed it!

And the greatest veal cutlet parmigiana ever made can be found at a place in Mountain View (next town over) called Franki, Johnny and Luigi Too.

They fry it with a dash of Marsala wine and then serve it with a piece of sliced ham on top.

Inexpensive too. I hope they're still there. I'm going out to visit in June.

That and Taqueria La Bamba are my first 2 stops. Their burritos weigh about 5 pounds and are amazingly good!

Heaven!

OK - I'm getting hungry now...

ETA - Last OT post. But that food...

edit on 2/8/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
They are lucky silicon valley and Hollyweird have tons of money.

But it always turns out money is not a good solution.
Just a lot of.bad apples

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
a reply to: strongfp

Trump and his cult followers brag about the best economy the US has ever seen, factual or not and then news like this comes out. The Trump party also thinks homelessness is included in the unemployment category.

"News"

Really? This isn't "news." This has been happening for the past 20 years. But the liberal media completely ignore it so you never got the "news."

Perfect example of why you don't want a Democrat to run the show. Democrats destroy everything they touch.

Detroit, Baltimore... New York was bankrupted in the 70s by a Democrat. Chicago is broke, Philadelphia is just about there.

Flint, MI was governed by Democrats for 84 years. How'd that end up?
edit on 8-2-2020 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rounda

Yeah I forgot what a utopia Red states are

www.usnews.com...

How do the states south of the Mason Dixon line fair? Yet they get way more money that the put back into the Federal government no?

Also the GOP has controlled the House for 20 of the last 26 years and the Senate for 16 of the last 26 firmly in the majority yet D.C which they are reasonable for is a total dumpster fire

Oh and lets not forget how well letting the GOP run amok went in Kansas...........

So while its easy and simplistic to wave your partisan finger and "Blame the dems" but its more complicated than that

This goes way way back to Reagan who I voted for and loved as a president essentially closing down the vast majority of mental health facilities int he US with the DRG and putting mentally ill people out on the streets. Kind of spiraled from there.
edit on 2/8/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Yeah I forgot what a utopia Red states are

www.usnews.com...

How do the states south of the Mason Dixon line fair? Yet they get way more money that the put back into the Federal government no?

Also the GOP has controlled the House for 20 of the last 26 years and the Senate for 16 of the last 26 firmly in the majority yet D.C which they are reasonable for is a total dumpster fire

Oh and lets not forget how well letting the GOP run amok went in Kansas...........

So while its easy and simplistic to wave your partisan finger and "Blame the dems" but its more complicated than that

This goes way way back to Reagan who I voted for and loved as a president essentially closing down the vast majority of mental health facilities int he US with the DRG and putting mentally ill people out on the streets. Kind of spiraled from there.

How do the states south of the Mason-Dixon line fare? I dunno, perhaps you should go look at their state governments, you know, since those are the people who have direct control over their state...

Off the top of my head, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, West Virginia have basically been run by Democrats since at least 1900, only recently flipping to the GOP.

Then you can go look at mayors, you know, since they actually run the cities... the largest 100 cities are run by Democrats at a 3:1 ratio.

Hate to break it to you, but states being run into the ground has nothing to do with the Federal government. It has everything to do with the State government. And cities being destroyed is a reflection on their local government.
edit on 8-2-2020 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Refresh your civics. the US. Congress runs D.C. which is in effect a large city no?

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I was in San Francisco yesterday. It was a beautiful day.

I saw tons of people out enjoying the day with family and friends.

Yes, I did see a few homeless, but not many.

If this is a failed thrid world city, then the third world must be very nice.

I think that many people who posted on this thread have never been to California, but have formed their opinions from sensational news reports.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Refresh your civics. the US. Congress runs D.C. which is in effect a large city no?

Please do refresh my civics.

I was under the impression Washington DC has had a Mayor since the 70s, and that Mayor has been a Democrat every election.

I was also under the impression Washington DC is a Democrat stronghold, having overwhelmingly voted Democrat in Presidential elections, and have only elected Democrat shadow-congress people.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

I think that many people who posted on this thread have never been to California, but have formed their opinions from sensational news reports.

I live in the Bay Area. Outside of work (I have a client in the City), I will not go to San Francisco anymore. It's filthy.

If you visit the tourist hot-spots, you don't see the filth. They spent millions to clean up the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf area, and have police actively patrolling to keep it presentable.

Step away from the tourist areas, and you see the filth. Human feces, trash everywhere, the smell of urine walking down the stairs to the BART, rats, needles, mentally ill and drug addicted homeless camping downtown...

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Take a walk down Van Ness for a few blocks.

Make sure you wear a respirator though.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It's not that damn bad. I cook for hundreds of "homeless" folks every single day and it's not your typical soup kitchen meal. They get legit gourmet healthy items. There are so many shelters in place that not only provide a bed and food, but help you get a job and an affordable housing unit. They get that in 3rd World Countries?

California is utterly beautiful and some dusty people going through some transits cannot take away from it. Right outside my house there is a camper with a family and the occasional "homeless" person in an alley. I plant trees and flowers instead of complaining. Assist them with what I can and visualize the greatest outcome for them. Just the other day this dude who can't even walk, gave me a hundred dollar bill for randomly helping him when I see him in need. I could have given it back but didnt want to deny him the power of giving.

The opportunity to help each other, clean up the streets and transform the idea of beauty into the manifestation of it through utlizliing what most call ugly and decrepit as the compost for a healthier state is not only possible but Soul enriching. California is a dirty crystal but still a crystal.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Which part of San Fran?

The three times I have been there were all almost overwhelming with the homelessness.

Primarily around the Convention Center and edges of the Tenderloin.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join