It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could the dinosaur be brought back to life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Hello fellow Ross Gellers, now i'm not one to fall for the Hollywood science, but as crazy as it sounds, there is a 0.00000...00001 percent of bringing back dinosaurs, im not saying it will happen in the next fifty years, but maybe it will.

It's time to introduce my witness to this case...*cue Jurassic park theme*

Forget Jurassic park, that psychotic thing called a cassowary is probably the most accurate living description of a dinosaur. Here's the thing, birds and dinosaurs share the same hip and skeletal structure, and many other traits. Cassowaries and other birds could themselves be classified as dinosaurs, as this science type lady

"Birds are living dinosaurs, just as we are mammals," said Julia Clarke, a paleontologist studying the evolution of flight and a professor with the Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin.

In spite of the physical differences that distinguish all mammals from other species, every animal in that group — living and extinct — can trace certain anatomical characteristics to a common ancestor. And the same is true for birds, Clarke told Live Science.

"They're firmly nested in that one part of the dinosaur tree," she said. "All of the species of birds we have today are descendants of one lineage of dinosaur: the theropod dinosaurs."

Now since the cassowary is already a "dinosaur" there is one thing they haven't looked at...junk DNA.

Now I''ve looked at the explanation of junk DNA (read it here if you want a migraine) but in simpler terms, junk DNA is just that, but it might've served a purpose millions of years ago, imagine if we could unlock the code to find out why we evolved to have an appendix? maybe the same could apply to some species of birds, and unlock the dinosaur JDNA.

I know I know it sounds a pitch for a B grade sci-fi movie, but this universe always throws us a curveball, science fiction more often than not becomes science fact. so what do you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

i think that the cassowray - should be assisted on its path to extinction - yes i have met one - and there is nothing redeeming about them - kill them all

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i think that the cassowray - should be assisted on its path to extinction - yes i have met one - and there is nothing redeeming about them - kill them all

Yup. If I were to see a cassowary I would actually be really wary and run the hell away ASAP. They're scary. And they attack

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It has a dinosaur claw.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Can we start with people first?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

Yeah, those guys are like an armed goose! Geese are bad enough...unless they're for dinner with all the trimmins.

Wonder how Cassowray tastes with mashed taters?

the over arching reptile appelation for dinosaurs is sorely lacking. The same families in the animal kingdom today all seemed represented prior.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Wow!

It looks like it has a megalodon tooth on the top of it's head.

Please keep those things out of USA.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If there is any viable DNA, they Will be brought back. It may be years or decades, but they WILL be... if possible. Count on it.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I have fought one or two (virtual ones that is) they were a pain in Farcry 3

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Obligatory, "If you've got a problem with Canada Gooses, you've got a problem with me. And I suggest you let that one marinate."

a reply to: Plotus

I don't believe there is any viable DNA. DNA is estimated to have a half life of about 520 years. So anything that could be leftover would be probably not much more than individual nucleotides, at the best.

There may be some luck in back breeding for traits, however that is contingent upon any previous traits still being within the gene pool and would most likely take generations. Should mention that this would not be a clone, despite displaying the same traits as the extinct species.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
...in simpler terms, junk DNA is just that, but it might've served a purpose millions of years ago, imagine if we could unlock the code to find out why we evolved to have an appendix?
Researchers think they may have found out why we have an appendix and I don't think it has to do with junk DNA. People without an appendix are 4 times more likely to have a recurrence of certain types of problems with "bad bacteria", so the leading hypothesis is, the appendix may store a reserve of "good bacteria" to help fight off the bad bacteria:

www.sciencealert.com...

For years now, researchers have been searching for a possible function of the human appendix, and the leading hypothesis is that it’s a haven for 'good' intestinal bacteria that help us keep certain infections at bay.

One of the best pieces of evidence we’ve had for this suggestion is a 2012 study, which found that individuals without an appendix were four times more likely to have a recurrence of Clostridium difficile colitis - a bacterial infection that causes diarrhoea, fever, nausea, and abdominal pain.

It's still a hypothesis, but one with mounting evidence to support it, though research is ongoing.

As for the birds, I thought most people knew they were a living type of dinosaur.

For junk DNA, some may really be junk, but some may just be DNA that's not understood yet, and this is also a subject of ongoing research. But when the dinosaurs went extinct, so did their DNA, with the exception as you say of their relatives or descendants the birds, and we already have those living. If there are other remnants in Junk DNA it may code certain features or functions but it's unlikely to contain the code for an entire dinosaur.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

A little birdie told me they feel much the same way about us, what with how we've destroyed so much of their habitat and are threatening to send them the way of the dodo and dinosaur.

The cassowary belongs to a sister taxon of the giant, extinct moa, whose genome has been sequenced from fossilized eggs. So I say, bring back the big birds.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

A little birdie told me they feel much the same way about us, what with how we've destroyed so much of their habitat and are threatening to send them the way of the dodo and dinosaur.

The cassowary belongs to a sister taxon of the giant, extinct moa, whose genome has been sequenced from fossilized eggs. So I say, bring back the big birds.

Habitat isn't the issue. Biowarfare will kill 80% of life on animals.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I can see this happening in the near future, there's a lot of research done or being made in this area, its interesting to learn and read about.

link   
I can see this happening in the near future, there's a lot of research done or being made in this area, its interesting to learn and read about.

link   

link   

link   

link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join