It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano's melting W Antarctica Ice sheet JPL data involved

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Volcanic activity is melting the West Antarctic glaciers. Not Man made global warming.

I don't see a thread on this yet.

www.iceagenow.info...

(1) One study, entitled “Evidence of an active volcanic heat source beneath the Pine Island Glacier“, proves that the Pine Island Glacier of West Antarctica is melting and retreating from geothermal heat from a currently active subglacial volcano, not man-made global warming. See National Science Foundation’s press release here.

“Our finding of a substantial heat source beneath a major WAIS glacier highlights the need to understand subglacial volcanism, its interaction with the marine margins and its potential role in the future stability of the WAIS,” the researchers write in the Nature Communications article.

They also note that volcanic activity could be increasing the rate of collapse of the Thwaites Glacier, which is adjacent to the Pine Island Glacier.

(2) A different study entitled “Bedrock in West Antarctica rising at a surprisingly rapid rate” shows that the Marie Byrd bedrock mantle plume “hotspot” region is rising rapidly and forming an extensive high elevation dome.

Iceage now shares the references

www.nature.com...

phys.org...

www.jpl.nasa.gov...-OBkE8.twitter

Countdown till the usual Solar Cycle deniers arrive.

edit on 20-1-2020 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

The report states that the volcanic mantle is not causing the glaciers to melt, but rather, it could possibly have an impact on the glacier and ice sheet during an already warming climate. The Western region is experiencing melt faster than the rest of the continent, the volcanism is the likely explanation.

From the report,

The magnitude and the variations in the rate of volcanic heat supplied to the Pine Island Glacier, either by internal magma migration8, or by an increase in volcanism as a consequence of ice sheet thinning61, may impact the future dynamics of the Pine Island Glacier, during the contemporary period of climate-driven glacial retreat.

www.nature.com...

edit on 1America/Chicago21Mon, 20 Jan 2020 18:21:38 -060020600000020 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Greta is angry

Great sadness and sorrow will filter down the cult like ash from a cauldron of fire and fury

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Serious issue thanks for bringing it to light . S&F

But with my cynicism I couldn’t help but think .

Finally some flat earth doom .

If a portion of the ice wall melt’s.

It will drain the ocean causing the world to flip over and we would be trapped on the dumb,...er,,,,, I mean dome.

It would discredit many never ending doom scenarios

Global warming would be gone. We would enter another Ice Age .

The population bomb a thing of the past because of death on a massive scale .

Death by oceanic plastic gone. Those two guys that sell bracelets would be out of business . It would instantly become just plain old litter. We could just walk out there and pick it up .

PETA would have to start eating animals .

Wins...

NOAA would finally get all of their hurricane predictions right .

AOC would love it no more airplanes . We could all drive our electric cars to Australia .

Everybody would have beachfront property ( just no water )

Atlantis would be discovered. There would be no hiding it then .

We could use plastic straws again without guilt . ( see two guys )

I’ll probably get some groans for this post.

Don’t matter I did it to entertain myself . 😁

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Oxymoron = extra carbon and methane that man produces at the rate of billions of tons a year for the last 100 years cant effect warming BUT one volcano on a content BIGGER then the US can .
Amazing so glade you have proved warming is not caused by man Just one volcano at the south pole which stays - 60f year round .
You know warming isnt the real issue Environment collapse is . Such as over fishing red tides reefs dieing over 25 % dead .
That kind of thing .

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Oxymoron = extra carbon and methane that man produces at the rate of billions of tons a year for the last 100 years cant effect warming BUT one volcano on a content BIGGER then the US can .
Amazing so glade you have proved warming is not caused by man Just one volcano at the south pole which stays - 60f year round .
You know warming isnt the real issue Environment collapse is . Such as over fishing red tides reefs dieing over 25 % dead .
That kind of thing .

I didn't say one volcano, I said VOLCANO's.

no need to over think this.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

You can cherry pick but there is more data than that there.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Why would you say that when the study is about one glacier, Pine Island, and says this:

The observed transport of mantle helium out of the Ice Shelf cavity indicates that volcanic heat is supplied to the grounded glacier at a rate of ~ 2500 ± 1700 MW, which is ca. half as large as the active Grimsvötn volcano on Iceland.

www.nature.com...
edit on 1/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Nah, I was told there is a hole in the ozone layer silly...

Remember, they took away the big hair, hair spray..

All the girls, started using moose, and big hair became extinct after the 88.

I wonder, how that hole in the ozone layer is doing these days 😂.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
Vikings leave rune warning of little ice age

A piece of Haleys comet supposedly broke off an hit the planet around northern europe, an caused a mini ice age an famine around 1500 years ago. Might be warning about that, while some might of believed that the event was the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse back then.

The White Rider and what followed.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
but mah global warminz!

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Cherry pick? It is from the conclusion of the report.

Have you even read the report?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

Cherry pick? It is from the conclusion of the report.

Have you even read the report?

The story I am reading is using those data from all those sources to provide the conclusion you are , reasonably, questioning. That is my point. I do see your point but we have several ideas here coming together.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Why would you say that when the study is about one glacier, Pine Island, and says this:

The observed transport of mantle helium out of the Ice Shelf cavity indicates that volcanic heat is supplied to the grounded glacier at a rate of ~ 2500 ± 1700 MW, which is ca. half as large as the active Grimsvötn volcano on Iceland.

www.nature.com...

I have been saying Volcano's, plural, are doing this for how many years on ATS ? You show up every time so you probably recall that to be honest.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

The report states that the volcanic mantle is not causing the glaciers to melt, but rather, it could possibly have an impact on the glacier and ice sheet during an already warming climate. The Western region is experiencing melt faster than the rest of the continent, the volcanism is the likely explanation.

From the report,

The magnitude and the variations in the rate of volcanic heat supplied to the Pine Island Glacier, either by internal magma migration8, or by an increase in volcanism as a consequence of ice sheet thinning61, may impact the future dynamics of the Pine Island Glacier, during the contemporary period of climate-driven glacial retreat.

www.nature.com...

Sorry, but no. Right in the introduction it states that the volcano is supplying approx. 2500 MW (megawatts) of heat to the glacier. That's a hell of a hairdryer running under that icecap.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
That is well known and In that relatively same area it has a effect again well know . Now how does that account for the tons of carbon and methane man adds .
But of corse the real problem isnt melting ice its environmental collapse . Every one keeps saying man is not responcible for the higher heat Must not life in a city lol all that pavement is a huge heat sink .
BUT regardless of ice humans are directly responsible for the biggest die off of animals in the shortest time in the last million years and at this rate ALL large animals over 50 pounds will be going withing years . Kinda like another ELE earth had once or twice but no rock needed .
I could make a list of animals endangered as a Direct result of man but it would take pages .
Your grand kids will only ever see a lion in a cage a elephant a tiger and a million other animals .
so you keep carping on how warm it is or is not .

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

I wonder what Charles Darwin would say to his followers about it too?

Something like "survival of the fittest" I would believe. And it has been going on since the day the first living thing was born.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
So, volcanic activity is melting the ice and glacial rebound is raising the land? Do I have that right, it is almost midnight and I am kind of tired so I do not know if I interpreted that correctly.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
That kind of thing .

I quoted your sarcasm/rant to now show how silly (at best) or ignorant (at worst) it is

ever hear of a volcano named Krakatoa ?

en.wikipedia.org...

its one eruption CHANGED weather patterns , severity , rainfall and even cooled parts of the world FOR A YEAR if not more.
with an IMMEDIATE drop in temperature worldwide.

maybe you hear of MT St Helens

www.washingtonpost.com...

that was SMALLER than Krakatoa but look what it done.

these (and others) are PROVEN FACTS.

but the MAN MADE climate (before global warming and cooling labels) change is not PROVEN .

so how is it that man "billion tons a year for 100 years" cant even come close to what EACH OF THESE volcano eruptions have done?

now a volcano under the ice that has no way to vent cant do more damage or cause what is happening?

this is what you expect us to believe?

funny how FACTS seem to torpedo your whole "man made (aka man caused)" climate change.

scrounger

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join