It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Seismic Activity is Happening on the West Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
5.2, 5.7, 6.0, 6.0 appeared to be intraplate quakes at first.

But now a 4.9 quake has hit on the subduction zone line, and may spell further trouble.

Lookout west coast is all I can say, and this is a developing story.

We are watching these come in on our live spectros here:
www.youtube.com...

Will update...

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Why is it "dangerous"? Everyone I talk to from California says they have regular tremors. It's part of life there.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Are these related to that fault that had been silent for 500 or so years? I saw a story about it earlier today on the news. I forget the name of the fault, but it started with a G. They said it had been pretty well inactive for 500 years, but it had recently come to life and it was interacting across Southern California causing instability along the established fault networks.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Thank you for your updates.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Invalid response error on the YouTube link for me.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Why is it "dangerous"? Everyone I talk to from California says they have regular tremors. It's part of life there.

1) Because it has the potential to trigger the Big One on the Cascadia subduction zone.

2) Because of the increasing magnitudes, meaning each is a foreshock to the next.

There have also been a bunch of aftershocks not even reported yet by USGS.

Story is developing.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
A little strange, it appears these might be fore-bearers of a chain of other quakes..

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This "early warning system" was activated a few weeks ago in California.

www.caloes.ca.gov...

Hopefully it will not issue too many alerts for small tremors, like it did last week. Maybe too sensitive at the moment?

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Yes , it Has been Foreseen .........

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There are many ways of building structures that are resistant to collapsing in a tremor.
Do your research if you plan on building in a quake zone.
It's not rocket surgery.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Are these related to that fault that had been silent for 500 or so years? I saw a story about it earlier today on the news. I forget the name of the fault, but it started with a G. They said it had been pretty well inactive for 500 years, but it had recently come to life and it was interacting across Southern California causing instability along the established fault networks.

I watched a story on that earlier today as well.

I'd guess this one is part of what the OP is discussing.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

No, that is the Garlock fault he is talking about. This is a whole other animal. MONSTER, mind you.

Update, seismicity is diminishing, but it did the same prior to each of the other quakes.

WEST COAST IS ON ALERT FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AT LEAST.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Love that clip.... Epic. a reply to: Zanti Misfit

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Yeah, it was Garlock I was recalling.

I didn't know if the Garlock was triggering activity that would lead to this one or not, and I got the idea you were talking about Cascadia. I just didn't know if there was enough of a chain reaction or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

This seismic activity has me a tad worried, especially when you consider I live in downtown Seattle... So im keeping a close eye on this activity as well, and hoping these quakes aren't leading up to something big hitting the PNW... Granted, we are long over due... fingers crossed things calm down a bit.. looking forward to see how this thread develops...

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

No, that is the Garlock fault he is talking about. This is a whole other animal. MONSTER, mind you.

Update, seismicity is diminishing, but it did the same prior to each of the other quakes.

WEST COAST IS ON ALERT FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AT LEAST.

TA I have family on the west coast what can you tell us in regards to the science of these quakes you are referring to. Are you referring to the ones in Canada?

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Yes of course, the ones off the west coast of Vancouver, and on the northern part of the Juan De Fuca plate. If you want you can rewind and listen to an audio I did on our live stream at 21:29 UTC here:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I predict many stars and flags, followed by many supportive comments, shortly thereafter followed by dwindling interest, and eventually silence.
Some time passes, and a new thread of similar topic, and thinly veiled warning appears.
And the cycle begins again.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

It's rather like a tornado warning though.

Sure, the odds of it actually happening, actually coming to where you're at are miniscule, but the scale of devastation that occurs when it finally does hit where you are ensures you don't ignore a friendly heads up when it's available.

But, be my guest ... stand on the porch and watch the storm come right in on you and then whine about how you had no clue later on.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
I predict many stars and flags, followed by many supportive comments, shortly thereafter followed by dwindling interest, and eventually silence.
Some time passes, and a new thread of similar topic, and thinly veiled warning appears.
And the cycle begins again.

And I predict many more drive-by posters, who add nothing to the topic.

So be gone with ya. People here know I don't just post threads like this for no reason, unless I am concerned, and I have evidence to BE concerned. Many people on ATS live on the west coast, like MamaJ above, and they appreciate the timely warnings even if nothing big happens.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join