It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greenland Shark Has A Lifespan Of 400 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
According to an article in Sciencedaily, the Greenland Shark is the earth's longest lived vertebrate with a lifespan of 400 years. Out of 28 females caught and examined the average age was 272 years. The 2 largest of the 28 were found to be 335 and 392 years old. Sexual maturity is reached at around 150 years old.
I found this to be extremely interesting and was something I wasn't aware of. I hope you find it interesting as well.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Fascinating! Kind of disappointed that a shark gets to live so much longer than me though.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Wow, that's incredible! New respect for sharks from me.

Thank you for sharing, do you have a link so I can read some more about it? Ty

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Wow, that's incredible! New respect for sharks from me.

Thank you for sharing, do you have a link so I can read some more about it? Ty

I can't link from my phone but just Google Greenland shark lifespan.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Fascinating! Kind of disappointed that a shark gets to live so much longer than me though.

I'm not sure that current skin care products are up to the challenge of 400 year old humans.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
kind of mind-blowing to imagine spending 4 centuries silently cruising through dark deep cold water.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

oceanwide-expeditions.com...

2. The meat of a Greenland shark is poisonous

Greenland shark meat can cause symptoms in humans similar to severe inebriation, and the neurotoxins in their flesh can even be incapacitating to sled dogs. This toxicity is due to trimethylamine oxide (TMAO) in the tissue of Greenland shark flesh, which helps the fish stabilise their enzymes and structural proteins against the debilitating effects of severe cold and high water pressure. Nonetheless, Greenland shark meat can be prepared in a fermentation process that removes the TMAO, resulting in a much-enjoyed national dish of Iceland. This dish, known as Hákarl or kæstur hákarl, is prepared by hanging the meat of the Greenland shark up for four to five months, thus removing the adverse effects of the neurotoxins.

edit on 15-12-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Tudor shark do do do do do do

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Is it wrong that I want to eat them in an attempt to steal their longevity?

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Greenland shark meat can cause symptoms in humans similar to severe inebriation, and the neurotoxins in their flesh can even be incapacitating to sled dogs. This toxicity is due to trimethylamine oxide (TMAO) in the tissue of Greenland shark flesh, which helps the fish stabilise their enzymes and structural proteins against the debilitating effects of severe cold and high water pressure. Nonetheless, Greenland shark meat can be prepared in a fermentation process that removes the TMAO, resulting in a much-enjoyed national dish of Iceland. This dish, known as Hákarl or kæstur hákarl, is prepared by hanging the meat of the Greenland shark up for four to five months, thus removing the adverse effects of the neurotoxins.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wish I was gonna live 400 years.

I'd have one hell of a 401k.

Sharks still alive today that were living during colonial America.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

oceanwide-expeditions.com...

I can see it now....I spend 5 months preparing dinner and then my family decides to order pizza instead.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I think I’m more surprised by all the responses. Do you really want to live 400 years? I have no desire.

For a shark, talk about a boring 400 years. Highlight of each day — catching food and eating it while it’s alive.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Have at it. I'll stick with fish sticks.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I believe some sharks do have a long lifespan, but 400 is a long run..I'm guessing being in the cold, they have slow metabolisms.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Figures as much.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
Have at it. I'll stick with fish sticks.

Like Kanye I also like fish sticks.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

Traditional Icelandic food is very bizarre for today's standards, but it's how humans literally survived. Baking bread in the ground with geothermal volcanic heat, eating rotten shark, catching birds with giant nets on steep coast lines. Long lost cooking traditions and hunting techniques kept alive.
edit on 15-12-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
I believe some sharks do have a long lifespan, but 400 is a long run..I'm guessing being in the cold, they have slow metabolisms.

Their growth rate is about 1 cm a year and sharks in general continue to grow until they die..as do snakes, lizards, and amphibians.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Homefree

Traditional Icelandic food is very bizarre for today's standards, but it's how humans literally survived. Baking bread in the ground with geothermal volcanic heat, eating rotten shark, catching birds with giant nets on steep coast lines. Long lost cooking traditions and hunting techniques kept alive.

Perhaps tradition for tradition's sake should be re-evaluated from time to time.

<<   2  3 >>

join