It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Of The Worlds 2019

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Looks like the US and UK both have a series of War Of The Worlds 2019.
Hummm.......

Watched the first episode of the UK one. It was good, I will keep watching it for now.

Have not see the US one. It looks to be set in current times. Anybody watching one of these. No spoilers please.

US one

Set in contemporary France, this Anglo-French reimagining of H. G. Wells' classic in the style of Walking Dead follows pockets of survivors forced to team up after an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

UK one

In London during the Edwardian era, George and Amy's attempt to start a life together is interrupted by a Martian invasion of Earth.

edit on 1-12-2019 by LookingAtMars because: fixlink

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I watched the BBC UK version and really enjoyed it. It is set more in the era upon which it was originally written .

Have not heard about the US version.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I watched the first two episodes of the UK one and gotta say I was very disappointed.
They put way to much focus on the relationship of the two leads and not enough on the invasion.
The scenes of the future are a jumbled up mess.

Haven't seen the other version yet.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I watched the first two episodes of the UK one and gotta say I was very disappointed.
They put way to much focus on the relationship of the two leads and not enough on the invasion.
The scenes of the future are a jumbled up mess.

Haven't seen the other version yet.

I do agree with you about focusing to much on relationships, seemed geared towards women a bit more, but I overlooked that aspect.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I like the era too, and the red head.

The other one may be: UK | France | USA, that's what IMDB says anyway, in the link above.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Read the user reviews of the U.K. Version on IMDb..
They sum up my feeling pretty good.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

They put way to much focus on the relationship

That's why a gave it a good instead of a great.

Gonna go get on my personal sat and see if the US one is playing.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I tried the UK WofW but after 30 minutes of waiting for anything interesting to happen I gave up on it.

I did not know until this thread of the US version. Thanks, I'll have to search for it to see what I think.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   
my bro, I'm asking for God's spirit to show great works for your life.....I'm same as you....used to be a workin hoss....

a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It is official now in my book...
The movie industry did run out of new ideas before 2005
That is no longer a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Groot

I like the era too, and the red head.

The other one may be: UK | France | USA, that's what IMDB says anyway, in the link above.

It sounds good already!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife
I tried the UK WofW but after 30 minutes of waiting for anything interesting to happen I gave up on it.

I did not know until this thread of the US version. Thanks, I'll have to search for it to see what I think.

I was going uninmpressed with episode one.
Like the new Dr Who, it smelt of the BBC’s PC agenda.
I would rewrite the titles to include “loosely based” as opposed to based on.
Spoiler alerts ...
The Martians arrived in relatively small spheres which after the damp squib of a reveal were not big enough to house one Martian let alone a fighting machine.
The flash forwards sequences early in episode one give the ending away.
The invaders were killed after consuming human flesh?? The original had bacteria as the killer and the title sequence has multiple images of mosquitoes which would allude to them being the Allen’s demise.
One invader shrugs off a Molotov cocktail attack so surely lowly insects would have a hard time biting them.
Give it a chance, watch all three even if it flys in the face of the book from a purist perspective.
Just don’t expect any more than politically correct claptrap and the occasional nod to the book or the original film (Tom Cruise killed that remake.)
I have watched the Anglo french, UK and USA?? version and I found that to be much more enjoyable.
Yes, a new take on an existing theme but done their own way while not trying to ride on HG Wells’ coat tails. Also no PC BS that my radar could detect.
Also the alternative ending stood out by a country mile against Auntie BEEb’s attempt.
Just my 2p worth

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
All versions of the war of the worlds leave something to be desired.
The Tom Cruise movie was good as a science fiction movie but it was actually not better than the older 1950's movie, I still have only seen about 20 minutes of so of the BBC's latest re-imagining.

But for me unless it has HMS Thunder Child it's not war of the worlds.

For me the one that still remains the best is not a dramatization but JEFF WAYNES WAR OF THE WORLDS.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If Auntie BEEB had licensed that as a soundtrack it would have raise its game tremendously

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Is there really a point of watching it ?

We all know how it ends.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

So many point I completely agree with. One main part that ticked me off as someone who absolutely loves the original book is when they had the lead male character start going off about how the alien invasion was their fault that it was the fault of the Englishman who went about the world with war machines etc. I had no idea why they did that. It was a very slow boring show and yes the flash forwards made very little sense.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I watched a few episodes of the UK | France | USA one. It kinda has a SiFi channel feel to it. Has PC crap in it too. I think there are two men that identify as women in it too. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Or is there? Women finally start to get more leading roles and then transgenders get the roles. That doesn't seem right.

Anyway, I will end up watching both of them I think, if I have the time.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The BBC interpretation was a failure, in my opinion. Too slow, too dumbed-down and bland...a complete lack of characterisation and substance. The aliens themselves were a complete let down...monstrous, arachnid, savage and cannibalistic...just the type of aliens that would develop enough to create advance technology and a stable civilisation. Not.

More propaganda from 'Auntie' Beeb who still try to insist on what you should and shouldn't watch/think/believe. Dumbing down for the masses.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Actually watched the 1st episode this morning. So far so good and a good cast.

top topics

join