It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unleashing Kindness It Is So Darn Easy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I was serving at a recent community event. There is a lady I have seen many times but I didn't know her name. She walked past my counter and I spoke to her. She stopped and we chatted a bit. Four children ran up to her. called her Nana, and asked for the pizza I was serving. She told them the pizza cost money, and she didn't have enough to feed all of them, but they would eat when they got home. The oldest complained saying he was hungry now. I could see she was embarrassed as she led them away from the booth.

I overheard one of the people say she had just gotten custody from the court to care for her grandchildren because the mother had a drug and alcohol problem, and it was hard for her because she was barely making it on her retirement. I gathered up ten slices of pizza and carried it over to her, and told her it was on the house. I made sure some of the people saw me get the money from my purse to pay for the pizza because I didn't want them to think I had the authority to give away the food I served.

I was pleasantly surprised when this guy I didn't know came up and shook my hand thanking me for being so kind. He had placed a five dollar bill in my hand. Shortly after that a woman came up, hugged me, and slipped me ten dollars. She said, "It is to help pay for the pizza", and she thanked me for being so kind. By the end of the night all the money I spent was returned to me, and there was money left over. I gave the money to Jean who was collecting the money. I told her the money was to pay for food for any child that said they were hungry if they couldn't afford it. I told her if it wasn't enough to let me know and I knew I would be able to come up with the amount that was missing. A knee jerk response, a kind deed, worked like the domino effect.

We are all basically kind. It is natural for us to be kind. We have just worked so hard over time hardening our hearts that we have forgotten. I think it is time that we break through this modern shell of being bad ass. That we start giving a "F" again, that we unleash the power we have buried inside. Just do it! Unleash the kindness.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
That was really nice of you.

I wish I could do things like that, I totally would, I'm a really nice person.

But I'm also someone that everyone avoids, for some reason.

I guess that's irony for you. But you did good with that pizza, the italian god Pizeus shined down upon you today.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Thank you for thinking of others.
This time of year is really hard for some.
I make it a point year round to do random acts of kindness, but around the holidays, that’s when I kick it into overdrive.
The smallest gesture, can set the tone in brightening a strangers entire day.
Again, thank you for what you did.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I made this thread because I ran across a commentary about Mr. Rodgers and it mentioned one of his quotes, and it resonated with me.

There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind.

Fred Rogers

A simple action that usually comes naturally for most people.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
A grandfather and his grandson were in the woods, where they saw two wolves, fighting.
"Look grandson, that one is kindness and hope, the other one is hate and anger."
"Which one will win, grandfather?"
"The one we feed."

Or something...

I've been feeding a nasty asshole for too long. You remind me that people are worth considering, despite this wretched world...

And to think, only a few years ago, I'd sit with the homeless here, and just listen to them. Someone who took the spare change from my time and listened, without judgement.. and now, I am almost that homeless person. swings and roundabouts...

thank you for being you, op..

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

We are all basically kind. It is natural for us to be kind. We have just worked so hard over time hardening our hearts that we have forgotten. I think it is time that we break through this modern shell of being bad ass. That we start giving a "F" again, that we unleash the power we have buried inside. Just do it! Unleash the kindness.

Sorry, no it’s not easy to be kind, it’s bloody hard and it’s very rare these days
And sorry no, it’s not natural to be nice, in fact it’s actually the opposite, it’s natural to give up and say f off and be a bad ass because people don’t care about each other

Though I do think it’s a great service to be kind.

Imagine if we just spoke kindly to each other, wouldn’t that be a great first step

Yes I know, I am trying

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

That is the best example of
"Passing it Forward" I have heard this month.
That is the Spirit right there.
The Lords Blessings to You and Yours
in this time of Thanksgiving.

S&F

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Being kind IS easy... being selfless, that is hard.

It's made even more so when a smile these days is misconstrued as microaggression. But I still hold doors open for people, still let them on and off the train first, and still stand for the elderly.

I'd not be able to sit with myself, if I were unkind...

on the other hand, you step on me and walk over me, then I will be the most horrible person ever. this tree shares it's shade, but casts it sparingly towards those who take it for granted. and that is nothing to be proud of, just... my nature.

posted on Nov, 23 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Just remove the Ski Mask and you'll be fine. I have Faith in you.

ETA: Do a review of "Red Hot American Summer"..The Movie where Elliott Stabler humps the Fridge.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I disagree as a costumer service rep. being nice is hard and tiresome. you can kill everybody with kindness.....but life still blows.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

But I'm also someone that everyone avoids, for some reason.

Take yourself out of your comfort zone and you'll be rewarded for it. And I don't mean do it "for the glory", but rather it feels good to do kind gestures and also challenge ourselves in areas we're not as comfortable with (like different forms of social interaction).

Start with small stuff, hold the door open for people, thank everyone you deal with day to day and give them a sincere smile. If you do those things with genuine intent, people will notice. And while they seem small, you never know the impact kindness to a stranger has on someone.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

They duped you... Simplistic emotional perseverance.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
That was really nice of you.

I wish I could do things like that, I totally would, I'm a really nice person.

Really nice people give me alcohol. All you give me is reviews of alcohol.

Get here with some liquor and don't forget to stop at NightSkyes house for pizza money.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

Just remove the Ski Mask and you'll be fine. I have Faith in you.

ETA: Do a review of "Red Hot American Summer"..The Movie where Elliott Stabler humps the Fridge.

Did you mean this movie?🙄

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Kudos and GREAT BIGTHANKS 👍👏😊😊😊😊

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Unfortunately they didn't. The grandmother had not planned for the the responsibility of raising her grandchildren. I know how that works because I found myself in that same boat over 20 years ago.

She was truly appreciative. I found out that she came by the activity office several days later and gave us several bags of avocados that the children had picked themselves. Turns out she has a bunch of avocado trees and had a ton of pears.

I know that we all have the potential to be mean and nasty. I know that some of you find comfort in being rebellious and rude. I know that many have a thousand and one reasons to justify their bad ass, "I am going to get you before you get me " attitudes and behaviors, but I have chosen to take a different path.

If I am wrong at least I am not adding to the madness and not giving people one more excuse for being angry or feeling mistreated.

Life is hard and sometimes having to deal with people is harder. I find it so much simpler, and far more rewarding to be kind.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MissCoyote

I can relate. I work in the medical field, I deal with people that are in pain, they have been violated, they feel dirty, used and abused, so I don't expect, nice, cordial, or friendly from those that I come in contact with, and I rarely get it.

The meme of the day is sarcasm, tough, rude, snarky, mean, and aggressive. Dealing with that everyday, even on-line, can be draining, downright debilitating.

I have found that being pleasant and kind yields a variety of responses. Surprise, coupled with wariness, a simple smile, a genuine smile, with a shared act of kindness, refusal, and possibly even an attack. Yes, I have been attacked by those that I have offered kindness and support.

I understand, when it seems life has slammed the door in your face, you feel stepped on, are in pain, and see no way up or out, that your first response may be to strike out, especially toward someone who is smiling, because they appear less threatening, and the one that you intuitively feel is less likely to fight back.

I get it. I just know what the outcome will be if I trade tit for tat, I like mixing it up a bit, throwing in an unexpected act of kindness as an element of surprise.

Being kind often comes with its own set of rewards. Rewards that are shared among the giver and the recipient. So being kind is an act that can keep on giving.

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think it's less a lesson on kindness than it is on leadership. You are simply an excellent leader. Wouldn't surprise me at all if every single one of those people wanted to help, but not one had the courage or leadership to act out and be first. You did.

Your courage broke the dam and made it easy for the others by giving them someone to follow.

It's hard to act out against the crowd and go first. You did. You opened the door to everyone elses
's kindness.

Hats off to you!

posted on Nov, 24 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I wondered about that. There were people that knew of her situation. I didn't find out about it until after she had left the counter. To be fair, the people that shared her situation with me, were the ones that gave the most, so it did present as a question into my mind, "why didn't they just offer to pay when the child first declared his hunger?"

I think you hit the nail on the head. Rudeness, anger, and aggression, is becoming such a common reaction when people interact, that for many, their instinctual response to help a child, is dampened for fear of a negative reaction. When someone opens the door and it becomes clear the entry is safe, then it makes it easier for those kind and generous people to pass through.

I believe that kindness is a basic characteristic in all people. Our changing society is hardening our hearts, making us distrustful, and selfish. I have been burned and will likely be burned again, but for all those people that took my kindness for weakness, and duped me, it is worth it to see a heartfelt smile of gratitude on just one child's face.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join