It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost all US mass shooters since 1966 have four things in common: Childhood trauma, a personal cris

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Mass shooters in the US have been found to have four commonalities, according to a new government study which has redefined the profile of killers as violence has escalated in the US over the past half century....

The project includes a database of mass shootings involving four or more victims, which is the FBI benchmark for a 'mass murder', and uses the 1966 University of Texas massacre as a starting point...…

The study noted hate on the rise with shooters motivated by racism, religious hate, and misogyny increasing since the 1960s, especially in the last five years....

'Data is data,' says Jillian Peterson, a psychologist at Hamline University and co-author of the study, VICE reports. 'Data isn't political.

Almost all US mass shooters since 1966 have four things in common: Childhood trauma, a personal crisis, examples that validate their feelings, and access to a firearm .

I have just come across this small article and found it a very interesting read.
I think there will always be two major camps when it comes to most discussions about mass shootings, those who oppose any attempt at even discussing the problems surrounding firearm ownership, like metal health issues and those who think all firearms should just be banned, and I don't think much can be done to win over either camp in having an open discussion about reducing mass shootings in America. Then there's all those who are some where in the middle, who hope for an honest non-political look at the facts and a way to reduce mass shootings and address the mental health issues that seem to be attached to most of the latest shootings.
This being a study funded by the Department Of Justice could help go some way in making it non-partisan and less biased to any political opinion or agenda and further the conversation.
I noticed that in the last few discussions here on ATS, the posts between a few members got around to things like mental health issues and proper training and storage when it came to gun ownership.
I thought posting this article and starting a discussion when there wasn't a mass shooting would be more helpful in making it less of a knee jerk shouting match.

Should the work place or college campuses do more on mental health issues, Should the work place even be responsible for your mental wellbeing? Is it there job to make sure we are all happy in the workplace?
We now have cheap'ish' mobile phones that can be locked and made un-usable without my fingerprint, maybe it's time for this kind of technology to be added to new firearms designs?

edit on 21-11-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

So basically what you're saying is, if misogyny, racism, and religion is acceptable by the masses again, the mass shootings will go away?

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I wonder why they didn't add another data point... the shooter's current prescriptions.

Or would that just bring up a topic that we are supposed to ignore?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

So basically what you're saying is, if misogyny, racism, and religion is acceptable by the masses again, the mass shootings will go away?

I was kind of wondering myself why the original poster took a discussion and article about mental health and only pasted sections of the article that had to do with racism, religion, and misogyny?!

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
and all of the issues are US only issues? nowhere else in the world has these issues?

nowhere in the world other than the US has prescription drugs?

Maybe you guys might consider emigrating because of the drugs, religion etc but be aware they DO exist elsewhere

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That database also shows that two thirds of mass shooters had a documented history of mental health problems.

It's in there, and it's the majority. The rest can probably be explained by things such as workplace grievance or love/hate relationships gone bad.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

BINGO!!!

Exactly!

Let's focus on all the factors where we can say we can cry "victim", rather than the ones where we can say "oh crap, I did this all to myself, or to my kid, or whatever!")

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I was kind of wondering myself why the original poster took a discussion and article about mental health and only pasted sections of the article that had to do with racism, religion, and misogyny?!

The article is there for you to read and if you took the time to read it, it does discuss mental health as a major factor. I ran out of room/characters in the news part to post a quote on mental health, but I do actually talk about mental health in my opinion part of the post.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

So your basically what you're saying is, you never took the time to read the article properly and saying the article I posted is really my words????

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I could be wrong but I think what he is saying is the solution starts with talking about the problem, so we can find these people and help them. Instead discussion is banned as the solution has been found by progressives, ban guns.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

was kind of wondering myself why the original poster took a discussion and article about mental health and only pasted sections of the article that had to do with racism, religion, and misogyny?!

I was kinda wondering why posters can't be bothered to read what I posted about mental heath and seem to think the Article is my work?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Oddly enough, virtually every non-mass-shooter in the US has those identical four things in common.

Guess we all need to turn ourselves in ...

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: squittles

Speak for yourself, I don't.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I wonder why they didn't add another data point... the shooter's current prescriptions.

Or would that just bring up a topic that we are supposed to ignore?

No we’re just to ignore that one nothing to see here.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: squittles

Oddly enough, virtually every non-mass-shooter in the US has those identical four things in common.

Yeah, we'll all turn ourselves in, you go first whilst the rest of us wait here for a minute and then follow you in

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Slide22

I would say their diagnosis is more important, as many don't even take their meds they are prescribed. What medications do you feel are important and why?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Since the Kent State Massacre was in 1970, I'm guessing it was also included in the study.

Since the shooters were National Guard, access to weapons is a given. In 1970, I can believe that racism may be a factor, but if I recall correctly, both the shooters and the victims were mostly, if not all, white.

I find it difficult to believe misogyny was a factor, as the victims were both male and female.

It's a little disconcerting to think that all those National Guardsmen had mental issues, but what other explanation is there?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: squittles

One of the primary items glossed over by the article, is that 2/3 are already diagnosed with a mental health disorder. That's not saying the other 1/3 don't have a MHD, they just weren't already diagnosed. That's not representative of the rest of us. Less than 20% are diagnosed a far as I could quickly lookup.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I'm suspect about to this, as it seems to have excluded gang killings and joint enterprise, and mostly concentrates on line gunman style killings. So it may be discounting many mass shootings.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I'm suspect about to this, as it seems to have excluded gang killings and joint enterprise, and mostly concentrates on line gunman style killings. So it may be discounting many mass shootings.

Agreed. According to the MSM there have been over 360 this year alone.

www.insider.com...

But the study in the OP says over a 53 year period they had 167 incidents.

A review of 167 incidents over the 53-year period

Doesn't really add up does it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join