It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS chat is down

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Down with the mods huh...

Does every one feel this way, or just people who only been here a hand full of months?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I dont know if I'm part of the group that you think should apoligse Banshee, but I fell I must apologise for saying down with mods, I like 90% of you mods, sure Skeptic scares me, but hes a good guy, he justs wants to make sure were all safe, so thanks for the top notch job Skeptic.

To clarify what I said about down with mods, I meant if some of you became power hungry, not now, but if certain things started to happen.

[edit on 3/6/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wait a second...50% of the private messeges?
Why not just shut down private messenging until the problem can be resolved?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
:shk: Having seen the efforts of the staff both as a regular member and as staff myself, its appaling to see the reactions that were posted in this thread.

[edit on 3/6/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
SO
Still..that's really uncalled for. I know the internet brings out the worst in people..but this is ridiculous! This isn't a dating service! This isn't a brothel, and it sure as hell isn't a NAMBLA meeting. I hope you do involve the authorities, I'd sleep better knowing more predators were offline and off the streets.

I'm not making the wrong assumption about the 'quality' of the solicitations am I? I know this sort of thing goes on in practically every venue. I never thought it went on at ATS, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

Banshee
What are you talking about? Who do you want to apoligize, and for what? I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I'm just curious as to who you're calling out here.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I agree with this 100%.

But one little thing thats bugging me, can the names of the people in chat be cleared? I keep thinking theres somebody in there and I keep clicking the Chat button only to be not connected.

Thank you...

[edit on 3-6-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think everyone just needs to cool off.

Chat should be gone whilst this is talked and thought over, I didn't realise the problem was so bad.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Im also a bit taken back by the response here?

We as mods try and make this board a place to enjoy, a safe place

we give our free time to better the experience for members,

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Down with the mods huh...

Does every one feel this way, or just people who only been here a hand full of months?

I've been here a hand full of months and everytime I've dealt with a mod they have been very helpful and polite.. it's for that reason I stayed an active member, it's nice to find a place where the people in charge are decent. The mods are a credit to the site.. even if I don't agree with aspects of ATS, you have to hand it them - they know how to pick the right people.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Mods invest lots of personal time to perform their functions here, and for free no less. Its like a slap in the face then when the members give them crap for making the tough calls that come with the job. As someone who does a very similar job on a smaller scale, it can often be a harsh and thankless job. Until you see the backend of how stuff gets managed its in poor taste to take shots at the staff for doing their job. That being said I look forward to a return of the chat some day, as it did provide a bonus to the site.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
asala, FredT --

You both seem to be saying that the majority of posts are against you. I don't see that as being the case at all. There was one, maybe two, posts that were in bad taste, and one of them has been apoligized for already. The ATSers don't hate you guys, what made you think that? I know it sucks to be unappreciated, but it was only like 1 or 2 members. You make it sound as though the whole thread was a mod-bash, but I didn't see it that way at all. So what's the deal?

You ARE appreciated. You ARE applauded for your effort. You ARE the greatest.

So rock on.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I used chat from time to time, and there are many who used it as intended.

It is a sad and ugly reality that there are lower life forms out there who seek to disrupt and ruin things for others, but it happens. Far to often and even more so on the internet.

I can say that I have chatted with many in the ATS chat rooms, for the most part it was fun and relaxing, but it has been abused too many times by too many users.

ATS is not the place for that kind of activity, and its clear now that the administration of this site will do whatever it takes to end it.. We should all be thanking them, and be proud that we have them to help keep this site safe and open to you all.

Gazz

[edit on 6-3-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Given the recent number of chat bans that happened due to inappropriate discussion, apparently people did not learn from others' mistakes.
Recent events and review of chat logs showed the problem has not abated. Since more than a few members did not care to abide by the rules set forth in the T&C, the decision was made to remove the chat option from the site.

You can thank those who think "adult discussion" is appropriate on ATS.

Just how many people got banned? I only know of five... lol have there been more bans since I have been gone??? lol

Then again chat is chat... it never stays on one topic, so why is everyone surprised that at some point people start to talk about sex and other stuff? I dont think chat should be down tho... after all most of the time I spend on ATS is on chat. If people start to harass other members them maybe something should be done.. BUT not because we are just talkinb about stuff like that.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
But where is cpr12 going to idle now?

Seriously...if it is only THAT type of vulgarity, damn. That crud is whack.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
OH MY GOD!!!!! THE CHAT FEATURE IS DEAD??????? The humanity of it all!!!!

I...I....I don't know what to say......

Still, having once been a moderator on a fairly large site my sympathies lie with the mods. Many members on a large site can be real gems but you have to wade thru allot of clowns to find them. I'll NEVER be a moderator again.

Hopefully the chat will be back soon. I'm in there a few times a week and for the record, I didn't even know we could have private chats on the side so i'm not the one that screwed it up.

I'm blaming CPR too...just because I can

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Bummer I had some people to continue irritating in chat now I cant , that stinks, how long is it going to be down.?

Well guess the last refuge we had to enjoy ourselves is gone and its a shame it was because of a few peoples actions that we all must suffer, cant you guys just build a new protocol and lock out the undesirables not us all this is why I get so irritated with things now days.

And I thought things where looking up enough at ATS to hang around for. But seems someone is bound and determined to make this site so outrageously storm trooper controlled that noone can come here for the reasons we once wanted to ,,,,,This site has become a police state ,

And to think my Idea was thought to be a promotion of the police state that has developed with out my program.......hehehehe guess your going to get locked down one way or other huh????

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/3/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Wow...
This is really surprising; I didn't expect there would be such a large problem!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi

Originally posted by Banshee
Given the recent number of chat bans that happened due to inappropriate discussion, apparently people did not learn from others' mistakes.
Recent events and review of chat logs showed the problem has not abated. Since more than a few members did not care to abide by the rules set forth in the T&C, the decision was made to remove the chat option from the site.

You can thank those who think "adult discussion" is appropriate on ATS.

Just how many people got banned? I only know of five... lol have there been more bans since I have been gone??? lol

We don't typically promote bannings, meaning celebrate the actions or offenders with undue publicity for their stunts or on-line personas. And in that same spirit, I doubt there'll be any forthcoming Starr report on all this. It's human nature to want all the details, the more salacious the better, but it's simply not productive. It's counterproductive in fact.

Administration will have the final say on everything here. Most likely mods will know what's going on when you know. But just to avoid the speculation game or any false salacious hopes down the road, don't expect juicy details.

I always do, and I'm always disappointed.

Just letting everyone know.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
cant you guys just build a new protocol and lock out the undesirables not us all this is why I get so irritated with things now days.

Please explain to me why I should expend significantly more effort for a custom solution... when I already went to significant effort and expense?

Perhaps... after this... I simply don't "feel like it".

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbryankkruta
And I thought things where looking up enough at ATS to hang around for. But seems someone is bound and determined to make this site so outrageously storm trooper controlled that noone can come here for the reasons we once wanted to ,,,,,This site has become a police state ,

That's insulting.

(shaking head)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join