It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple will build new Mac Pros in Texas amid tariffs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thank you President Trump!

The tariffs are bringing jobs and manufacturing back to the United States. A side benefit to this is China won’t have the ability to steal our intellectual property when things are manufactured here at home.

“The new Mac Pro will include components designed, developed and manufactured by more than a dozen American companies for distribution to US customers,” Apple said in a statement.

The Mac Pro had been assembled at the Austin plant since 2013, but Apple announced earlier this year that its new computer would be made in China — prompting furor from President Trump, who has been critical of the company’s reliance on Chinese factories.

“Apple will not be given Tariff wavers (sic), or relief, for Mac Pro parts that are made in China,” Trump tweeted. “Make them in the USA, no Tariffs!”

LINK

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think Trump is a great President and always trying to do things for we the people.
That is great news!

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just means overpriced apple products get another price hike, this isn't really a win for the consumer.
paying higher prices to own the libs

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Just means overpriced apple products get another price hike, this isn't really a win for the consumer.

Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

This is an absolute win for Americans.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I am willing to pay higher prices for American made products. Also, MACs aren’t purchased by the same people that purchase PCs. Price isn’t an issue for most MAC PRO buyers.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

This is an absolute win for Americans.

Exactly, some of these people can't see the forest for the trees. On the one hand they complain about jobs being sent overseas then in the next breathe they complain about prices.

At the end of the day, it is the consumer who ultimately is in the driver's seat. If Americans want products and jobs here in the US, they have to be willing to pay a little more. It is just that simple.

I am willing to pay a little more so my neighbors can remain employed.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Apple wiggled their way around it all and just shuffled everything around to get their own profit goals, or near them.

From the article in question it looks like they scrapped the assembly of ALL Mac pros in Texas to just some, and moved most to China, while they shifted some components back to the US.

Here's the real question, how much has Apple invested into shipping their automated assembly back into the US? How many jobs are being created? How many lost?

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well said JAGStorm! I remember when all our factories were leaving and people had difficulty finding employment. A win for sure!

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

Pay more, less downtime, longer lifespan.

Pay less, more downtime and quicker replacement.

Choices.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

They can hike prices all they want...a thing is only worth what people will pay for it.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Sounds like they will make Macs here for their US market and the rest that wont get hit by import tariffs in China...sounds like a win win. We get made in America Macs and jobs back...and they will just make up for it with the cheap ones they make in china and sell elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

People who buy overpriced apple products will always pay for overpriced apple products.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I notice your fox news source conveniently left this little gem out.

Apple specifically credited the work of the Trump administration in helping it have some components "excluded", which is thought to be part of the ongoing trade dispute between the US and China. "The US manufacturing of Mac Pro is made possible following a federal product exclusion Apple is receiving for certain necessary components," it wrote in its announcement.

www.independent.co.uk

But, hold on...

In July, Donald Trump had suggested that Apple would not be given any dispensation from tariffs for parts for the Mac Pro.

"Apple will not be given Tariff waiver, or relief, for Mac Pro parts that are made in China," he wrote then. "Make them in the USA, no Tariffs!"

Seems to me all that's actually happened here, is that Trump gave in to Apples demands of Tariff waivers.
edit on 24-9-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I Hope Apple Declares Bankruptcy Soon , Good for the Country you Know ...........

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

These machines in question are very niche, it's a literal drop in apples profits. And most of these components were heavily automated. I'd still love to know the displacement of work force in the coming future.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

At the end of the day its very apparent China has been pretty bad for the US over all. I stand behind anything that will tip those scales away from them...even if it were to tip to another less dishonest adversarial country. Russia is no longer really much of a boogie man...China has taken up that torch. The only thing they really lack atm is force projection( which theyre working on) and the geopolitical clout the world reserve currency gives.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Rubes purchase them anyways who care if they have to pay more.

maybe apple shouldn't rape their customers on price like they love to do....

anyone in the market for a TV Stand?

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Apple could assemble these in the garage where the company started, and probably keep up with demand. This machine is at least five years too late, and much of the intended market moved to Windows a while ago. Good luck winning them back (again).

Regardless of where the new Mac Pro is built, Apple needs to make a commitment to keep it CURRENT. "Pro" on the desktop cannot again mean "will languish for years without even a spec bump".

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I agree. Let's move everything to China, that'll help America!

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

So , can I add fortune telling to your forte ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join