It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Dynamics is at it again. Atlas now does gymnastics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Welp, once again we have an update on the coming robot apocalypse thanks to Boston Dynamics.

ATLAS
The world’s most dynamic humanoid robot, Atlas is a research platform designed to push the limits of whole-body mobility. Atlas’s advanced control system and state-of-the-art hardware give the robot the power and balance to demonstrate human-level agility.

Here is a video of Atlas performing a gymnastic tumbling routine. Give it some swords and it will be slicing and dicing meat bags while moving like ninja gaiden in the coming years.

Here is the Atlas technology rundown:

EFFICIENT
Atlas has one of the world’s most compact mobile hydraulic systems. Custom motors, valves, and a compact hydraulic power unit enable Atlas to deliver high power to any of its 28 hydraulic joints for impressive feats of mobility.
ACTUATION: Hydraulic
JOINTS: 28

DYNAMIC
Atlas’s advanced control system enables highly diverse and agile locomotion, while algorithms reason through complex dynamic interactions involving the whole body and environment to plan movements.
SPEED
1.5 m/s (3.4 mph)

LIGHTWEIGHT
Atlas uses 3D printed parts to give it the strength-to-weight ratio necessary for leaps and somersaults.
HEIGHT: 1.5 m (5ft)
WEIGHT: 80 kg (176lb)

All the makings of a robotic assassin right out of Skynet. I continue to be both amazed and fearful.

Boston Dynamics should just change their name to Cyberdyne already.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Until I start hearing about the real-life, practical applications for things like this, I'll choose to remain unimpressed.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the Sith American gov is trying to mass produce assassin droids to keep us under slavery.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
For as AMAZING and cool as I think this is.. I cant help but get a real bad feeling when I watch these videos.

Then again, what could possibly go wrong?

Ill take one though.. Preferably in a more.. Uh.. curvy frame.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

They have really come a long way. The last generation I saw of these things were totally clunky compared to this.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I know how you feel.

I remember way back when they first started with Atlas and he would fall down.

Now look at him.

I have such mixed feelings about the whole thing.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
very impressive indeed. and a little concerning.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

As humans, of which I am totally one, we really struggle with attaching responsibility and limits to our scientific and engineering endeavors. Maybe thats even true for human exploration in general..

It always tends to be hindsight where we go "oof, maybe we shouldna done that." At this point, Im not sure we are capable of changing. Ive done the same thing, its an almost uncontrollable drive to explore and discover.

Only ways to temper it are to either blockade the concept in question from our Cultural Story, or introduce it in a way that doesnt have weaponization as a source paradigm.

The former may only buy time, but once its introduced into our awareness as a species.. You can bet your ass someone, somewhere will work on it regardless of repercussions. In the latter, we have tended to do it in reverse for quite some time. Our most advanced technology tends to be war-based and then only hits our homes by nigh coincidence.

We dont even really talk about how automation could be used in all of our homes to do everything from decentralizing our food supply to helping disabled people. It rarely gets framed outside of large scale, centralized manufacturing (which I contend is obsolete).

Its a really fascinating interaction between cutting edge tools and maintaining generations old paradigms.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

I for one, do not welcome our new Robotic Overlords.

That sh1t me right up.

If this is what is being released, what more can Atlas do already?
edit on 24-9-2019 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't care to be told about all the cool things ole Atlas can do.

I want to be told how to destroy it.

You know, for when things inevitably go south.

Should be the first thing listed in the instruction manual, but will no doubt not even be in it.

I watched Black Mirror dang it!!!!
LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
But can she cook?

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

A suitable amount of high explosive. Drop a rock on it. Jam its onboard processors.

I'm sure there are other ways.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
Hopefully Atlas is not waterproof? That could be fun.

But in all seriousness, I can see were a robot like this could be very beneficial to people with all kinds of disabilities. The problem being, I can see it being used in even more nefarious ways.
And in those scenarios, humans don't do so well.

Just thought about, if you had one in your home, how "hackable" would it be?

edit on 24-9-2019 by chiefsmom because: need to stop thinking about robots! LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

There's not a tool on Earth that hasn't been, or won't be, misused.

There are obvious benefits.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Putting a gun in it’s hand is the real life application

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
Putting a gun in it’s hand is the real life application

Making its hand into a gun would be easier.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Please tell me y’all know these are fake. Right? Am I ruining a joke here like a jackalope mount or something?
Since we are looking for real explanations, denying ignorance, blah blah.

youtu.be...
edit on 24-9-2019 by TexasTruth because: Added link

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

?

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
Please tell me y’all know these are fake. Right? Am I ruining a joke here like a jackalope mount or something?

youtu.be...

That's a spoof video put together by some vfx guys with their own youtube channel.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

originally posted by: TexasTruth

youtu.be...

That's a spoof video put together by some vfx guys with their own youtube channel.

My bad then. The video wouldn’t load so I assumed it was one of the fakes that get passed around like they are real.
The video I posted shows how they did that one, and the dog kicking one along with robot fights back are all faked. They claim to be Boston Dynamics like the title says here.
If I remember right even the real robot test have wires attached they edit out of the real videos

top topics

<<   2 >>

join