It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best GPU to buy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: Arnie123

I was actually fighting the temptation to mention that. MicroCenter, last week, was selling Ryzen R5 1600's for $49.99. Pair that with an affordable B450 motherboard for about $65 and 16 GB of affordable but solid DDR4 for about $65 and that's an entire, extremely solid 6 core / 12 thread platform for around $180.

It's a great time to upgrade or get into PC's right now.

Why settle for a 1600 ?
A few more dollars gets one a 2600x
At Micro Center

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Everyone is saying 1050ti but why not the new 1650 it’s almost the same price and on par with a 1060 3gb

System Specs

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

Whatever you buy this year will not be as good as what you can buy next year. This is how it works. So just jump in.

Got to watch those system specs

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I think it depends on what you plan to do with the card.... just regular gaming the 1060 will do what you want

IF you're looking to jump into VR you'll want at least 4g of vid memory....

I have a 1050ti on this, and it will VR but not really great... lower end games are ok

to at least be comfortable in VR you'll want a 1070 with 4g+ vid memory

For VR its like night and day...

posted on Jul, 30 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

1050 ti, great bang for buck
I'm poor so I run something I wont even bother to mention
I doubt it could even run Diablo 2

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The RX 570, or GTX 1660 Ti are decent, middle-of-the-road cards. The 1050 Ti handles 1080p/Highish settings fairly well, if you can find it cheap.
edit on 31-7-2019 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
i recently purchased a Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce OC 6gb to replace my GTX970. Cost $500aud and came with a free copy of Wolfenstein Young blood.

That sucks, the 2060 has superseded the 1060 6gb, and I paid $480AUD last year. Everything keeps moving...

I hear you. Only a few weeks after getting my 2060, nVidia announced their "Super" line up.

Joys of PC Gaming. Gotta keep up with it. Otherwise I suggest console gaming.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Ive never been convinced we need to "keep up with it" much.

I expect my 1070ti to last me a while. Been very happy with my 2700k CPU to this day. I just slam everything to max settings and want it to be playable.

I used to hunt for FPS, high clocks, and benchmarks. Fun and all, but I dont feel its either that or consoles. Ive honestly found that waiting for the right products and the right times to buy means I upgrade about as frequently as they come out with consoles.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Upgrading is not needed often if you just max things out to begin with. Or make it at least meet 'recommend system requirement's' of the software you use, are smart about your hardware choices and get a bit of education and knowledge regarding the technology you use and how it works.

My mother board and CPU are from 2012. So the machine's about 7 years old now. 3 GPU's, 1gb GTX 650, 4gb 970, and now the RTX 2060. 970 is still going strong, just had the cash and decided to give the beast 1 last upgrade before I start saving to build an entirely new machine.

But yeah that 7 year old machine still plays all the latest games at very high to ultra no worries.
Helps a lot of games are aimed at the lowest common denominator.
I mean most benchmarks I use, I still score higher than 80% of the worlds gaming PC's.

It's a bit like how I said no good having 8 or more cores in your CPU if everything is only using 1-4 of them.
Or paying an extra $200 for a GPU that will only buy you an extra 5-10fps. This is why I went with a 970 instead of a 980, and why I got the i5 instead of the i7 equivalent.

If I did more video editing then I would of gone for the i7, would of been worth the extra expense.
Thanks to this 2060 I reckon I have another 2 years of good gaming in this machine on highest settings.

Heck my step son has my old PC (C2D E4300 OC'd to 3.3ghz 8gb ddr3 and GTX650) and he's only started struggler with newer games over the last year or 2, but most titles still run fine.

Upgrading's not as bad as it used to be. But I suppose how often and necessary it is depends on individual circumstances and what you're using the machine for.

After all, playing Minecraft on the lowest settings is different to playing a modern Tomb Raider with ray tracing on, or Deus Ex game with DirectX 12 and everything turned up to max.

Also I only suggest consoles for casual gamers, who just want to throw a game in and get going. Instead of chasing drivers, manually adjusting billions of settings, and find taking two seconds to read 'system requirement's to get a chore.

The kind of people who think making a post to a companies facebook page is going to get them tech support, like the parents I could not convince their sons new HP Stream 11 netbook was not going to play GTA 4 and 80% of steams library and they were better off getting the kid an xbox. Who then blew a tonne of cash on Steam Credit on games that surprise surprise, would not work on his comp. (and they tried to use to pay me for IT work I did for them as they couldn't use it themselves lol)
edit on 1-8-2019 by AtomicKangaroo because: typos

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: bananashooter
Everyone is saying 1050ti but why not the new 1650 it’s almost the same price and on par with a 1060 3gb

System Specs

Yep, bandwidth and bottle necks. Killer of performance if something is too fast (or slow) for the rest of the system.

My step son wants my GTX970. But I've told him it will more than likely make his gaming performance worse vs his GTX650 because of the E4300 core 2 duo he is running despite the massive overclock on it.

Sure it will work, but the core machine is way too old now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join