It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mahmoud Ahmedinejad Ecourages Direct Talks with US President Donald Trump

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
AntiWar.com

Some Iranian officials, including Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, have expressed support for the idea of a new round of talks with President Trump, but are trying to condition it on the US pledging to make good on previously promised sanctions relief.

Former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made the surprise move to endorse direct talks with President Trump on Friday, saying Trump is a businessman “and therefore he is capable of calculating cost-benefits and making a decision.”

I think Ahmedinejad sees what many other leaders have seen, the business acumen of the President makes him uniquely capable of striking deals others would never have succeeded in making.

This is a course I believe we should pursue. Where dialogue exists violence does not.

In a Tweet to President Trump, Ahmedinejad said the following:

Mr.
@realDonaldTrump
For the two great nations of Iran and the US, so many opportunities and solutions exist, for proximity and all-out political, economic and cultural interaction, which should rapidly be brought to the fore and employed.

Let's keep striving for peace.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
AntiWar.com

Some Iranian officials, including Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, have expressed support for the idea of a new round of talks with President Trump, but are trying to condition it on the US pledging to make good on previously promised sanctions relief.

Former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made the surprise move to endorse direct talks with President Trump on Friday, saying Trump is a businessman “and therefore he is capable of calculating cost-benefits and making a decision.”

I think Ahmedinejad sees what many other leaders have seen, the business acumen of the President makes him uniquely capable of striking deals others would never have succeeded in making.

This is a course I believe we should pursue. Where dialogue exists violence does not.

In a Tweet to President Trump, Ahmedinejad said the following:

Mr.
@realDonaldTrump
For the two great nations of Iran and the US, so many opportunities and solutions exist, for proximity and all-out political, economic and cultural interaction, which should rapidly be brought to the fore and employed.

Let's keep striving for peace.

My goodness! Pigs are flying before my very eyes!

Ahmadinejad encouraging dialogue?! Never have I heard something so unbelievable!

Perhaps the United States should have "invaded" back when Ahmadinejad said 'death to Israel' and threatened to 'wipe Israel from the map'...

edit on 20-7-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Let's just be grateful we didn't and that today we have a unique opportunity to really sue for and get peace.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Someone hacked his Twitter account...lol

You can guarantee one thing....there will always be back channels. I would really like to see this though. We have been solidly in the gulf since 1991. Its getting old.....and expensive.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
No doubt they don't want war, and no doubt Trump wants to at least have a chance to broker his own deal. If he can pull off a meaningful solution to the Iranian situation, will be another star on his foreign policy achievements.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

NO NEGOTIATIONS. WAR IS THE ONLY ANSWER.

At some point the mud from the false flag attacks is going to stick!!!

edit on 20-7-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Ahmadinejad encouraging dialogue?! Never have I heard something so unbelievable!

I think this proves how desperate Iran is becoming and that sanctions are working to our benefit.

Ahmadinejad must think that Iran can appeal to Trump's greedy side at the risk of the security of America and the Middle East, but I don't think it's going to work. Trump knows that Iran can not be trusted to do what they say they're going to do, period. They have a long history of such behavior and no amount of enticing is going work (in my opinion).

Peace between Iran and any country (except for Syria) is all a facade that they use to their own advantage....until it's no longer an advantage. Then they send out their proxies to stir up trouble.

Until Khamenei is dead, there is no point or worth in holding discussions with Iran, and even then, it's still debatable.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

I know, I cant believe Ahmadinejad of all people...

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

I know, I cant believe Ahmadinejad of all people...

No kidding! Ahmadinejad used to be the King of Rhetoric! He's the one who let the cat out of the bag on Iran's true intentions. They were the ones who tried to appeal to the other Muslim nations the need for becoming an Islamic State or region and took pride in the fact that Iran was an Islamic Republic and thought everyone else should be too. The only problem was that the Sunni Muslims tried to create their own Islamic States in a way that gave power to the Sunnis instead of the Shiites and Iran wouldn't stand for that. Iran's just another country who saw their own ideas for the region backfire on them.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That 180 he did there is still making his head spin. Never thought that Iran would ever want to come to the table like that.

I wonder what is going on internally in Iran.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

They are probably realizing that following John Kerry's advice is bad for them in the long run.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Sounds good.
But does he have any pull in the current government? Let's hope so.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Make them BEG...so they don't play games like Kim Jong-Un.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Some Iranian officials, including Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, have expressed support for the idea of a new round of talks with President Trump,but are trying to condition it on the US pledging to make good on previously promised sanctions relief.

I'm hopeful but it's not likely that trump will start with that on the table.

link   
can you imagine the how hard TDS sufferers heads will explode if he can pull off peace with Iran, it will be glorious to watch.

If he can leave office without starting another war and even denuclearise 2 “rogue” states I reckon we should rename the noble peace prize the Trump prize.

link   

According to Kerry he only spoke to the foreign minister for a few minutes. If Trump has evidence that he did indeed speak to Iran, I'd be interested in seeing it.

www.cnbc.com...

link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Sounds good. But does he have any pull in the current government? Let's hope so.

Good question. Who knows?

Iran's internal politics is not something I necessarily keep up with. During the Arab Spring years, many protests were waged against the Iranian regime headed by Ahmedinejad at the time. However, despite this, he was still reelected and continued to serve as president of Iran until 2013.

It's hard to gauge his level of popularity or influence.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

They are probably realizing that following John Kerry's advice is bad for them in the long run.

I think they're coming to the realization that Trump may be in the White House for another 4 years and won't survive waiting for the next Democrat Dupe to take the White House.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

That was the advice Kerry gave them. "Just wait him out".

It does not look like waiting him out will be an option for them.

Excellent observation.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

That was the advice Kerry gave them. "Just wait him out".

At the time Kerry was telling Iran to "wait him out", Kerry was leading them to believe that Trump wouldn't even survive his first four years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join