It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irreversible Monarch Extinction by 2040

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Oops. The butterflies, not the MK Ultra program, unfortunately.. though there might be some symbolic connection! =(

www.newsweek.com...

A massive 97 percent of monarch butterflies have already disappeared since the 1980s. Back then, 10 million monarchs wintered in California. This year, the Xerces Society counted just 28,429. If this catastrophic trend continues, experts say the monarch butterfly could very well go extinct in the next 20 years.

Only 3% are left, after having declined by 86% in just a single year. Wish they weren't to far gone, but according to media, it's too late!

Why does it have to be irreversible though? Can't they captive-breed them in huge numbers then release, until their populations are restored?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The grill on my radiator is full of their dead. (Shrugs)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: letni

99% of all animals which have ever existed are extinct. It’s pretty normal actually.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Gradual extinction of species via evolution (of other species), yes.

86% population drop in a single year normal though?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

99% of all animals which have ever existed are extinct. It’s pretty normal actually.

I wonder how much time humans have. When I watch or read the news I think not very long.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Targeted pesticides, butterflies and bees, we have destroyed ourselves or soon will

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

They are vulnerable to two things:

They winter over in very localized areas and the one in Mexico isn't protected.

They eat an exclusive diet as caterpillars. Milkweed is considered a weed. On that front, people are making progress with cultivating milkweed in butterfly gardens.

However, last I checked, it was mainly the California population that was suffering the drastic decline. Midwestern populations were doing better though still very vulnerable to losing their over-wintering grounds.
edit on 30-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

I wonder how much time humans have. When I watch or read the news I think not very long.

This too will pass. Societal strife is nothing new.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

That's incredibly misleading. It's only about the California population and the why it's happening there is clear. Too many people living in a place without it's own natural resources, that is so far down the tubes, they can't support even their own water supply anymore. California, despite it's seemingly pro environment agenda, is in the process of killing off it's own environment with overpopulation.

Monarch butterfly population up in Mexico, down in California

Wildfires, deforestation, climate change, pesticide abuse, and poor land management have all conspired in recent years to quicken the pace of monarch butterfly decline in California and elsewhere. Even so, most monarch scientists don’t believe monarchs will become extinct.

“The migration won’t last forever. The monarchs will,” said migration expert Andy Davis, Assistant Research Scientist at the Odum School of Ecology at the The University of Georgia and editor of the journal, Animal Migration. “The monarchs will adapt just like they have in every other population around the world,”

The 2019 crop of monarch butterflies that roost in Mexico appears to be having its best year in a decade.

The Monarch's will be just fine and like they have done all along, they adapt.

This reminds me of when the radicals pushed the agenda the Bald Eagles were near extinction, when in fact they existed in huge numbers still in North America and Russia. They were at risk in small geographic area's only. The same happened with the Spotted Owl when that lie wiped out an industry for no good reason.

There are sill area's with lots of Milkweed, where the Monarchs still lay their eggs in massive numbers, all over the US.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Thread killer

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Monarchs took a few generations to migrate. They are getting to be few around here though. I wonder how many still migrate through Point Pelee Ontario in the fall?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

"99% of all animals which have ever existed are extinct. It’s pretty normal actually."

Whatever iteration of A.I wee spawn will probably tell the last human those exact words.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Oh c'mon, you know how it is. If you live on the enlightened coasts, the middle of the country is simply a great sucking black hole of nothingness. I mean, GEEZ! It's not like we even have plumbing or anything. We probably still even fight Indians and stuff out here.

So it's not like the monarchs could even fly their way through such a morass of inbred backwardness.

edit on 30-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"99% of all animals which have ever existed are extinct. It’s pretty normal actually."

Whatever iteration of A.I wee spawn will probably tell the last human those exact words.
I’m guessing whatever, google, youtube, twitter, and facebook are working on currently.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   

It's sound Woodcarver.

After all, we are not all we are cracked up to be.

Just look at the state of the place, nevermind the crack problem?

Shame as well because we had/have so much potential for empathy as well as evil.

Thing is we seem to have never really learned not to crap on our own doorstep.
edit on 30-6-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   

In he last few decades though, the rate of animal extictions is excessive. Humanity is causing a mass extiction event.

Guadian

A “biological annihilation” of wildlife in recent decades means a sixth mass extinction in Earth’s history is under way and is more severe than previously feared, according to research.

It's a sad state of affairs.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   

That's too bad. Used to see all kinds of them Monarchs and other butterflies here in central NY. Last year seen a couple monarchs, this year, none of any kind.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 03:51 AM
link   

This year, the Xerces Society counted just 28,429.

So that one group only counted 28k, is that supposed to say there are only 28k monarch's in the entire world, or that's only how many they counted? It sounds misleading as hell. Are they the only group that follows/counts monarchs?

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4891morfih

There's less than 50k years left before the Y chromosome has sustained enough cumulative damage to be no longer viable. Sterility in all human males will happen well before that.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

In 50,000 years, if humanity has not licked genetics and mastered the art, ile be very surprised.

Not that ile be around to be surprised unless the singularity moves its arse all the same.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join