It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There seems to be a sudden influx of Chinese into the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ok, this may be nothing, but over the past 2 months, I am suddenly noticing a LOT of Chinese people in the grocery store, Costco, and generally when I go out. These seem to be people who are living here and have just arrived from Mainland China. They look very middle class, driving new cars, I wouldn't even say anything but it seems to have just started up in the past 4-6 weeks and its strange because there were almost no Chinese people here before that. None, and all of the sudden, scores of them. I am wondering how they are getting visas to come here given the present immigration situation and tensions between the two countries. I am in South Florida, wondering if this is happening anywhere else in the country. Its just a little weird that its happening all the sudden. Also starting to notice a lot of Asians in the media and commercials at the same time. Am I paranoid or is something going on? I have no problem with Asian people at all, its just strange and I am wondering if its going on anywhere else.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Makes you wonder how much Property is being purchased by citizens of China?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's called "summer tourism". It will only get worse.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Could be the beginning of an invasion , inscrutable them Chinese.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
I am in South Florida, wondering if this is happening anywhere else in the country.

Where, specifically? I'm from the Tampa area, Chinese tourists staying for a month to even a whole season, and business travelers on multi-month/seasonal trips were the norm when I was working for a hotel a decade+ ago. I imagine not much has changed since then, other than the Chinese MC growing and contributing to more tourists.

I'm up in MI now, big Asian population in general here, it doesn't seem to have budged much since we moved up here.

Edit: Oh yeah, visits from family for the ones living here can give a false impression of more immigrants. My step-grandparents used to come over & stay with my dad & stepmom in FL for 6 months during the winter. They also live in MI now, but the step-grandparents still come stay for a few months at a time. They're getting up there in age, they don't want to be away from home for more than 2 or 3 months now.
They also use one of my dad & stepmom's spare cars to get themselves around, and my dad's not one to get a used junker -- I think his last used secondary car was a used Buick, he has a used Caddy now. Used cars are cheap in MI, it also gives a false impression of wealth (I could snag a used Lexus for under $20k, for clarity)
edit on 6/1/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
that is how they do it, and thats how their invasion starts, they first come as tourists and then start doing small businesses and then buy houses, lands and maybe buildings and before you know it they will have their own huge super hyper market that will act as black hole by sucking every thing in their way.

Chinese shouldn't be given this opportunity because they damn well know how to take full advantage of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Are they building a new Railway in Florida ?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Are they building a new Railway in Florida ?

You said it better than I was going to...
Nuthin new here....

edit on 6/1/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
In australia, I sometimes play spot the australian and loose. I personally have nothing against the Chinese, they seem nice and friendly. But history has shown that chinese government sometimes try to influence other nations through chinese immigrants. Was told by Chinese person that Chinese government once asked her and others to protest Dalai Lama visit to Australia etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Are Chinese people a problem? Why?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Do you have a university in your town?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

See China.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Go back only two decades and 800 mil Chinese lived on like 30 bucks a month. Today much of that 800 mil has moved into a middle class category, and so they are kind of heading down the direction of 1970 Japan where they have finally moved up to a economic level to actually do things like travel. The scary part is we might be seeing the beginning of a buyout attempt, as Japan tried back in the 1980s/1990s. Remember when Japanese were buying everything at crazy prices including Pepple Beach, they loss a a lot over that but China is like Japan on steroids.

edit on 1-6-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

See China.

I have.
Up close and personal
I was once considering working there for my company.
Better than Australia , yet not as good as Japan

edit on 6/1/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
that is how they do it, and thats how their invasion starts, they first come as tourists and then start doing small businesses and then buy houses, lands and maybe buildings and before you know it they will have their own huge super hyper market that will act as black hole by sucking every thing in their way.

Chinese shouldn't be given this opportunity because they damn well know how to take full advantage of it.

Wait ... You mean that middle class Chinese are investing in your community?

The monsters.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

See China.

I have.
Up close and personal

China is why too out of control nasty food/pollution etc wise for me to live there.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Bro, Shanghai is way nicer than a lot of U.S. Cities. I had broadband in China while my family in the West were still on 56K dialup. The east coast of China is on par with the east coast of America these days.

My last apartment there was way nicer than anything that I could have afforded in the US at the time.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Yeah, but it's the same in a lot of the US. Just ask the people in Flint.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Gothmog

See China.

I have.
Up close and personal

China is why too out of control nasty food/pollution etc wise for me to live there.

Ever been ?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
My Nephews wife from the Philippines received her citizenship yesterday. I couldn’t make the ceremony but my sister did. She said out of the 103 countries being represented, China had one of the largest number of people receiving citizenship. She was very surprised at the amount of people from China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join