It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't interrupt my soap opera with tornado warnings!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
From the "There's No Hope for Society" files:
Dayton, Ohio was hit with major storms Monday. When a local meteoroligist warned viewers, social media exploded with complaints because The Bachelorrette was interrupted. The weather man, Jamie Simpson scolded the complaining viewers.

This reminds me of when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded 30 years ago. Networks received an estimated 6000 complaints by women bitching that their soap operas were interrupted.

Some tweets from viewers:
“The fact that the weatherman is still talking about this tornado warning is beyond rude and disrespectful because I have missed 34 minutes of The Bachelorette,”

“I’d rather unexpectedly get hit by a tornado than to have a 40 minute news break during The Bachelorette #imsomad,” read another comment.
Source

TV networks are obligated to preempt programs when there's an emergency! When Simpson told viewers that people's lives could be saved by the warning, this woman responded:

I'm Done With You People!
edit on 30-5-2019 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Well you need to have priorities. If you're watching the bachelorette you should die as soon as possible anyways so why interrupt it with a warning?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I saw this on Facebook the other day.
He needs to chill the hell out.

People knew the storm was coming hours in advance and the people in the storm lost power and could watch his tv broadcast anyway.

Meteorologists are about as useful as balls on a priest..

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Really?

We were running a livestream of continuous coverage being put up by our meteorologist and his weather team the night that F4 passed just north of our house. Thanks to them, we knew where it was and exactly how much time we all had to get where we needed to be.

It was extremely useful, and our meterologist team out here is very good.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Bluntone22

Really?

We were running a livestream of continuous coverage being put up by our meteorologist and his weather team the night that F4 passed just north of our house. Thanks to them, we knew where it was and exactly how much time we all had to get where we needed to be.

It was extremely useful, and our meterologist team out here is very good.

On the other hand...

When I lived north of Tulsa, Oklahoma they would constantly break into something you were watching live to give you a three hour radar briefing of the possibility of a tornado 300 miles away... complete with footage of penny-sized hail and shots of the wall cloud.

To us living there it just meant it was spring, it was 300 miles away, it was normal weather and who cared?

Now, if they had the decency to at least put it as a banner, or OK a brief announcement and then tell you if you did care to go to channel 56 that would have been fine.

But blanket coverage over all your channels of the same sweaty guy pointing out the same thing we were watching on our phone wast just irritating.

That was the last time in my life I had a cable subscription and cancelled it for just that reason.

They go way overboard.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Eh, our team doesn't break in for continuous unless they threaten the immediate metro area.

They also try to blot out commercials except for the initial stuff.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Eh, our team doesn't break in for continuous unless they threaten the immediate metro area.

They also try to blot out commercials except for the initial stuff.

It's probably a lot different now... everyone used to bitch about it when we lived there.

We literally waited for 3 hours once to get our cable back from the sweaty guy talking about penny-sized hail and the possibility of a tornado in SW Oklahoma... the storm was headed south. We lived in NE Oklahoma.

It was Oklahoma FFS.... penny-sized hail and the possibility of a tornado was just a normal day for us, after all.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Trump and Obama always interupted "Days of our lives" that the wife watches. I tried to never grin about her complaints when they did that.

It seems like nobody stays dead on that program and everyone is having an affair with someone else on the show.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I saw this on Facebook the other day.
He needs to chill the hell out.

People knew the storm was coming hours in advance and the people in the storm lost power and could watch his tv broadcast anyway.

Meteorologists are about as useful as balls on a priest..

Just because a "storm is coming" doesn't show where the particular cell is.

The meteorologists here do a live storm track when tornadoes are concerned, its path, and show right down to the street where it's potentially headed based on radar data and red/green shifts.

This saves lives.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Just make sure you're not watching The Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind !!!

😎

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ah, soap operas ... You forgot that babies go from infant, to around 5 to teenagers in less than 6 months story time because teens can get down the soapy stuff.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Now, if they had the decency to at least put it as a banner, or OK a brief announcement and then tell you if you did care to go to channel 56 that would have been fine.

40 something male here, and I watch General Hospital everyday. Nothing pisses me off more than when they interrupt my GH for some stupid political breaking news..

I could switch to Any of the Four Plus 24 hour News channels if I wanted to hear that..

A small banner on screen like you suggested relaying the barebones of the story would be fine.
If I was that interested i could Choose to switch.

But they regularly cut it out for half hour clips, for politics...

It's not like the 70's and early 80's when there were only 4 channels.....

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Exactly!

And has anyone heard of this not-so-new technology called picture-in-picture?

There are lots of ways to to have multiple media sources going on at the same time.

So just blanking out every channel for something that either doesn't pertain to you or you are flat-out not interested in is just silly at this point.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong ,I'm not ill informed.I just am not looking to be informed during my one hour a day reality break.

The real conspiracy here is ;

why don't they want me to find out if Ryan gives Jordan his kidney?

Why is Christina's pledge being kept from the masses .

And most importantly will shiloh find out his and willows baby was adopted by brad and Lucas?

Will it come to light that baby died and was switched out for Janelle's?

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

6 months.

It only took Brad six months to tell Lucas he was aware willows baby died and Wiley is actually Nelle's and michael's...

Woulda been 5 months and 26 days if not for the impeachment inquiry..

Respectfully,
~meathead

new topics

top topics

join