It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robocalls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well, hopefully the all the political crap in the house will not hamper this bill from being implemented. The Senate approved it, but the House Democrats have their own bill so they may not approve it. I did not see a thread about this in the last few days in the new section. It is from the 23rd.

phys.org...

With the Democrats and Trump deadlocked because of name throwing on both sides, this bill will probably just be tabled, the House has become dysfunctional since the Democrats got into power. .

Getting rid of all these Robocalls, most that are actually deceivers trying to get some of our money, is actually an important part of lowering the deception in our society. If it ever gets passed, then we can use it as precedence to get rid of political calls that spew deceit from politicians campaigns.
edit on 23-5-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, hopefully the all the political crap in the house will not hamper this bill from being implemented. The Senate approved it, but the House Democrats have their own bill so they may not approve it. I did not see a thread about this in the last few days in the new section. It is from the 23rd.

phys.org...

With the Democrats and Trump deadlocked because of name throwing on both sides, this bill will probably just be tabled, the House has become dysfunctional since the Democrats got into power. .

The problem here is politics is not aligned with reality. In reality bad actions have consequences, in politics, not even close. There should be a watchdog that monitors congresscritters and senators that can suspend them, fire them/recall them, remove their salary and sanction them. .

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I wonder why Rand Paul voted against it.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

He probably owes someone a favor who has a company that benefits from Robocalls.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Can I be off topic in my own thread? Saw this in a news thread, is it ok or not? www.yahoo.com...

Seems like we used that sign a lot to signal the driver who was pumping the cement when putting in basements.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The problem here is less about politics and more about money. Robocallers pay lobiests and lawyers to interfere in government.

On the whole they tend to target Republicans because Republicans are a pro big business and against regulation, but they use their money to get what they want.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

He's always been pro business and against regulation. This lines up with his politics on other issues as well.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   
For those that are familiar with it, could anyone at least explain what is a "robocall"?

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Look up the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991. Laws about this already exist.

Then record everything.

each infraction can net you $500, and willful infractions net you $1500.

Here is a citation for you
www.congress.gov...
edit on 24-5-2019 by dubiousatworst because: citation of the law

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

From wiki:

A robocall is a phone call that uses a computerized autodialer to deliver a pre-recorded message, as if from a robot. Robocalls are often associated with political and telemarketing phone campaigns, but can also be used for public-service or emergency announcements. Some robocalls use personalized audio messages to simulate an actual personal phone call.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

He's always been pro business and against regulation. This lines up with his politics on other issues as well.

Basically supporting criminal or unethical activity. Sounds like American business.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

the ROBO-CALLS and ROBO-TEXTS which I receive every day (average 4 calls and 2 texts per day)…

I have a success rate of about 70% in stopping

just by immediately sending a REPLY TEXT MESSAGE with the one word STOP to the offending call number or text message sender...

usually a Robo-Reply is sent which states that my phone number has been removed from the Robo-call list

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I have a cheap plan and was assigned a phone number by some virgin phone company when I moved to the outside of Atlanta. Lets just say that the Governments DO NOT CALL LIST no longer functions. I get everything from social security scammers to either Russian or Chinese whatever's. Then on top of that the latest diversity scam is that the prior owner of the phone number continues to give out my number [their old number] while they skip on paying their bills so I get all of the calls from Bill Collectors, Doctors offices, Student Loans, etc. So now I call the bill Collectors back and give them the supposed address of the prior owner as the prior owner was too dum to remove there social media profile so I found her and her graduate boyfriend from the State Pen.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Can you link to both the senate and house bills so we can read them?

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Robocalls eh?

Robocop must be right hard pressed for employment these days.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Can you link to both the senate and house bills so we can read them?

I do not know how to find them. The site I listed was Physics.Org, it usually has reputable content. But just like any site, the beliefs of the authors of the article determine how the information is interpreted. Physics people are no different than us common people in that aspect, beliefs usually govern our perception, it is a human trait.

I wouldn't mind actually looking at the Senate bill, the House Democrat bill probably is still in the making so there will not be much on that one yet.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Maybe there is something snuck in there (like it always has with every single law they ever put together) by the dems that he didn't like. It's never just ONE issue. They always seem to tack on so much other BS that we know nothing about and isnt spoken about until after it's all done.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

It strengthens the penalties. Also

The legislation would accelerate the rollout of so-called "call authentication" technologies the industry is currently developing, which could cut down on the number of calls coming from unverified numbers. Proponents say the new industry standards -- known as SHAKEN/STIR -- could increase phone users' confidence in their caller ID. The protocols are designed to authenticate callers who are using their rightful phone numbers and to eliminate calls from spammers who are using phone numbers they don't rightfully own.

Link

I suppose there could be some questions on pork but that is standard for every one it seems.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I really wonder when will we stop getting these robocalls, but I think I'm wondering too much. It seems like there's no way we can stop getting these calls. I have just read at www.whycall.me... about how individual can sue Time Warner Cable because of these robocalls. It needs more than that to make them stop, though.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yeah, pretty much. Both sides do it so much, it's like we don't even bother anymore.

Sadly, a lot of those calls can't always be tracked and to boot, there are so many that it would be hard to get rid of them all.

Personally, I would like to see them stop all that crap that gets pushed into my mailbox (snail mail). I don't check my mail every day so by the end of the week, the good mail is all squished and bent in with the spam mail.

Imagine.... People are so up in arms about destroying trees yet no one does anything about the millions of trees and pollution worth of junk mail that gets stuffed in your mailbox every day. You can complain to the post office but "that's how we get our money".

new topics

top topics

join