It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Has Made A Two-Legged Robot To Deliver Packages To Your Door

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Ford.........Fix Or Repair Daily......This new robot is going to boost jobs in America.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This just another gimmick video put out by engineers trying to justify their jobs.
1. Self driving cars will never pull up in someones driveway. I do service calls for a living and I can't tell many times which driveway (left side/right side) is for my intended house.
2. Any engineer will tell you that primary locomotion should always be wheeled. Have the foot be wheeled with 8 inch tires. You can then lift the foot to climb stairs if needed.
3. Packages will need to be scooped onto the robot or in standardized containers. Pointy tennis balls on arms won't work with unbalanced boxes. Heavy boxes would force the arms to press too hard on the sides and damage the contents.

I can see us with standardized locking package receptacles close to the street for mail and boxes. It solves many problems.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Kinda looks like a two-legged grasshopper.

It runs on a battery. Seems expensive.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

The desire for cars is dwindling.

Most young people are used to using their phones for transportation. A few clicks and Uber, Lyft, or Mom or Pop, is at the ready.

Beats car notes, insurance payments, gas, and maintenance cost, on minimum wage.

Yeah. About that. I used to drive about 5 minutes to work. I looked up how much an ubber costs for that distance and it's like almost ten bucks. PER TRIP. $20 a day just to go to work? I don't think so Martha. Especially not on minimum wage. Not that a car is any cheaper. But that minimum wage isn't a real job.

edit on 23-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Better solution:

Maybe keep the self driving cars but instead of the delivery robot, they incorporate package mortars on a flat bed.

This way the cars don't even have to stop. Just a slow drive buy and FWOOMP!

Maybe a little upgrade on the packaging and we have a winner

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well, this seems a bit hare-brained but I guess if it gets the job done....

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Makes a difference from immigrants taking our jobs I suppose.

Robot delivery, it’s not going to happen for a looooong time (drones excepted).

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wow....

when will this robot be working for amazon?

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   
how well those goofy ass legs work in snow / ice / mud... lol

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Ford.........Fix Or Repair Daily......This new robot is going to boost jobs in America.

First
On
Race
Day

Not that I'm a Ford fan, but those that are will counter with that.

Automation is coming fast, nothing will change that, those of you thinking they'll just be vandalized and disappeared should consider the will be recording and transferring data to sine sort of cloud server or similar, and the battle bots will be sent wherever needed, kinda like a robot police force.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I don't see it happening any time soon.

I also live somewhere that has - within a mile radius - areas where the paths are old or poorly maintained. Tree roots have pushed up the stones or broken through the surface, or trees have grown so large that they take up most of the path and you have to walk around them. As well as areas where people would smash up a robot just for fun, or try to steal whatever package it was delivering.

But also areas with nice houses that have electronic gates with buzzers on them to get into the property where they won't allow you in unless you can tell them who you are, or secure mailboxes with tamper proof hatches that need to be opened a certain way.

I can't see a robot being smart enough to navigate these areas unaided any time soon.

What we do have, which has made a big difference are electric buggies that the mailman pushes so that he can carry a large load of parcels without having to lift them. That's the future, robots assisting people, not replacing them.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I don't see it happening any time soon.

I also live somewhere that has - within a mile radius - areas where the paths are old or poorly maintained. Tree roots have pushed up the stones or broken through the surface, or trees have grown so large that they take up most of the path and you have to walk around them. As well as areas where people would smash up a robot just for fun, or try to steal whatever package it was delivering

Oh yeah they gonna have to come up with some pretty decent robots if they want to get things delivered right. Your area a post industrial location too that's going to hell on Earth? I swear to you there is a pot hole (in the road we just dodge it it's deep as) round the corner from work that has been there before last winter , the council's done jack sh*t in getting it repaired. Any robot would trip up in it unless it was a very very clever robot but who knows maybe they gonna get the clever ones to do the job.

The smack heads are gonna love kidnapping them too....... Weighing them in, there's loads of corrupt scrap metal dealers who take it on a no questions asked basis, these robots will be taken down by the smack heads. We had to chase a couple off recently trying to hacksaw a bit of copper piping from the building, when they see a robot down the road they'll thing Christmas come early

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

You will be listed as a red zone, no delivery, you will exist behind a wall, you know like the one being built between America and south America.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Soon, all people will be fat and riding from their room to work on a motorized wheel chair or into handicapped wheel chair vans to get other places. They will just type in where they want to go into their expensive computer phone and do not even have to know where anything is. The gyms will disappear, no need for crippled fat people to need to go to the gym. Colostomy bags and cathetors will be standard hookups on wheel chairs, then the wheel chair will go dump it's septic tank automated by computers. What will work consist of? I guess everyone left working will be programming the computers that do everything. No dogs needed anymore, robotic dogs can keep you entertained, they will also be able to get soda from the refrigerator. They will just go sit on their charging pad and no doggy poop bags to worry about.

It is going to be a great society for a robot.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

They can sell those robots on the black market. Oops, can't call it a black market anymore, that is racist.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

So is Ford getting into the delivery business or is this just a product to sell to delivery companies?

And what happens if the Chinese steal one of those robots and back engineers it?
edit on 25-5-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Nice , The U.S. Military is Developing Robots to Deliver Cans of Whoopass to the Enemy Real Soon ........)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Does it drive itself along the route, in the delivery truck?
edit on 5/27/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I don't think its a good idea. Too many people think science fiction movies are documentaries, Especially the girl at 1:30

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: samkent
This just another gimmick video put out by engineers trying to justify their jobs.
1. Self driving cars will never pull up in someones driveway. I do service calls for a living and I can't tell many times which driveway (left side/right side) is for my intended house.
2. Any engineer will tell you that primary locomotion should always be wheeled. Have the foot be wheeled with 8 inch tires. You can then lift the foot to climb stairs if needed.
3. Packages will need to be scooped onto the robot or in standardized containers. Pointy tennis balls on arms won't work with unbalanced boxes. Heavy boxes would force the arms to press too hard on the sides and damage the contents.

I can see us with standardized locking package receptacles close to the street for mail and boxes. It solves many problems.

Hwy, we have an engineer here, guys!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join