It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quietest place in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The Hoh Rainforest is located on the Olympic Peninsula in western Washington state. The rainfall promotes the growth of thick moss, which attenuates sound, making the area as quiet as an insulated recording studio.

The park contains the largest coniferous forest in the lower 48 U.S. states and has one of the most untouched environments in the country. Over 300 bird species and 70 species of mammals can be found here.

The park is monitored for possible 'noise intrusions', and tourism isn't promoted here the way it is with most national parks.

In this audio clip, you hear frogs, birds, insects, and dripping water, but you can also get a feel of the quiet that surrounds the place. I love listeming to it in a darkened room.
One Square Inch

Here is a nice page from BBC Travel on Olympic National Park, where the forest is located.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That's cool.

However, it's not the "quietest" place in America by a long shot. This is the quietest place in America...

Linky-poo

It's at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota. Sound here is actually measured in negative decibels (if that is even comprehensible). They say no person has ever stayed inside longer than 45 minutes...it drives people crazy.

I'd love to go there sometime because I love quiet. The World is WAY too noisy! I'm thinking I'd last longer than 45 minutes. After a couple hours or so people would be asking...'Where the hell is Bob?????'. Then they'd open the door and find me sound asleep napping. Oh yeah!

ETA - Some people just cannot stand quiet! My sister is one of these people. If there's no noise, she'll start making some. Silence just drives her crazy! I am the exact opposite. I think all people should have to go sit in a forest like you posted...for longer than 45 minutes!

ETA 2 - The only thing better than taking a nap at Orfield Labs would be taking a nap inside Orfield Labs while laying in a body temperature sensory deprivation pool taking a nap! Now that would be awesome!
edit on 4/20/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Heck yeah!

I have always wanted to try one of those sensory deprivation tanks.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
That's cool.

However, it's not the "quietest" place in America by a long shot. This is the quietest place in America...

Linky-poo

It's at Orfield Laboratories in Minnesota. Sound here is actually measured in negative decibels (if that is even comprehensible). They say no person has ever stayed inside longer than 45 minutes...it drives people crazy.

I'd love to go there sometime because I love quiet. The World is WAY too noisy! I'm thinking I'd last longer than 45 minutes. After a couple hours or so people would be asking...'Where the hell is Bob?????'. Then they'd open the door and find me sound asleep napping. Oh yeah!

ETA - Some people just cannot stand quiet! My sister is one of these people. If there's no noise, she'll start making some. Silence just drives her crazy! I am the exact opposite. I think all people should have to go sit in a forest like you posted...for longer than 45 minutes!

ETA 2 - The only thing better than taking a nap at Orfield Labs would be taking a nap inside Orfield Labs while laying in a body temperature sensory deprivation pool taking a nap! Now that would be awesome!

An amazing place, as an audio engineer to achieve total silence is a feat in itself. Don't think I'd make the full 45 minutes as my tinnitus would definitely drive me insane!

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
The Hoh Rainforest is located on the Olympic Peninsula in western Washington state. The rainfall promotes the growth of thick moss, which attenuates sound, making the area as quiet as an insulated recording studio.

The park contains the largest coniferous forest in the lower 48 U.S. states and has one of the most untouched environments in the country. Over 300 bird species and 70 species of mammals can be found here.

The park is monitored for possible 'noise intrusions', and tourism isn't promoted here the way it is with most national parks.

In this audio clip, you hear frogs, birds, insects, and dripping water, but you can also get a feel of the quiet that surrounds the place. I love listeming to it in a darkened room.
One Square Inch

Here is a nice page from BBC Travel on Olympic National Park, where the forest is located.

Nature in it's purest form. There is definitely too much sound and light pollution for that matter in the modern world. Cool post

D

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Beautiful!

Tranquility in the most serene place in America.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I love places like the OP shows.

For me the equivalent is the Yellowstone Backcountry and I don't mean the hikes that are easy to get to from the two valleys.

Take one of the true back country hikes and just go 25 feet off the path, while making sure you are in a good place animal wise, and you literally feel like the only person on the planet.

Thanks for the OP!

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12
Beautiful!

Tranquility in the most serene place in America.
If you come from a red rock and cactus state the green almost hurts your eyes, hundreds of shades of green. The moss covers the ground deadening any sound. '' Coming in to Port Angeles bringin in a couple of keys."

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Artemis12

Dutchland, with some 18 million citizens in area of some 43.000 square kilometers there is no absolute quiet place to find. With quiet I mean without noise from human presence. We have forests but there will always be some highway in the distance to be heared. Some large cities in the world have more inhabitants than the total amount of citizens in the entire nation of The Netherlands. Its just a small country but not entirely insignificant in the history of the world. Anyways...If we, citizens of Holland want to enjoy the absolute quiet of nature we will have to go out of country.. or put on a headset, close our eyes and imagine being in a wondeful rainforest.

edit on 21/4/2019 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:35 AM
link   
That's a wonderful place to connect with nature.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The quietest place on Earth is the time period waiting for Skeptic to reply.

Does he even do that these days or does he just shuffle it to his minions?

top topics

join