It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody keep rabbits for food ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Rabbit is some good eatin! But no, I’ve never kept them as pets

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Wow that cat is scary, at first I thought it was a Bengal but I just googled serval and it's a wild cat, beautiful cat but you couldn't leave it alone with a child. Nice vid
edit on 2-4-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

Check this hero cat

edit on 2-4-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ManyMasks

wth was that dog trying to do?

I'm tellin you, can't trust these carnivores..

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I'm a cat lover myself, I think there must have been a noise coming from the bike that the dog didn't like and it attacked the child, then super cat showed up to save the day lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: surfer_soul

" lamping " s still a technique used in UK - we dont use vehicles much - and the laws have changed over the years - but dependant on target and if you use dogs - its still used .

And in South Africa.
We shoot them of we’re feeling lazy, otherwise you chase them down at night, grab ‘em by the hind legs and beat them to death over an ant hill.

Ah, what a pleasant youth I had.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I really like rabbit meat, makes a great stew, can be grilled etc. I’ve always considered keeping rabbits and feeding them only the best carrots .

Rabbits should only have carrots as a treat every once in a while.

They don't process sugar like we do and it will give them diabetes if fed carrots too often... Probably not the best for healthy meat.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

That's it, my first job was cleaner and to bring pigs off the trailer and into their pens ready for slaughter, they knew what was going down, at first the screams they made had an unsettling effect on me but after a few weeks it became normal

We just built, a couple years ago now, a pig pork processing plant. 10,000 a day at full capacity. For the longest time it was just another building I'm doing the sheet metal in. Once we started welding in the blood troughs, starts to weigh on me a bit.

There was actually an are where the hogs would get 4 hours of "relaxation time" before herded in. Then they went down a revolving elevator to be gassed to sleep before killing.

Not sure I could work in there.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Ours got stunned with electric tongs hung up by a hind leg up the line then it's throat cut for fastest way to bleed out, first time I seen that happen I felt really sad for them, that was when I was 16, don't think I ever got used to seeing that as being ok, don't know if I could have done that, I hung them up after they came out the burner or scraped the spinal column out.
They say pigs are the animal that has the closest size of internal organs as humans.
Great life experience now I think of it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I like wild rabbit, it tastes sort of like chicken. But I guess there is not adequate fat in it, humans can get protein poisoning if that is all they eat. I would expect that would be the same for cats, their fir would get kind of rough feeling if they do not get enough oils. But of course, just feeding the cat some bacon every day would help it get their needed lipids.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My Sicilian family used to raise rabbits for food.

I am still traumatized by the site of a skinned rabbit in the fridge.

My dad stopped when I was still really young but I still remember and still hate him for it.

Might not make sense because people and cats gotta eat, etc...But I can't handle that kind of crap.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

This makes me want to crawl in a hole and never come out.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Horus is his half brother apparently.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

...Then they went down a revolving elevator to be gassed to sleep before killing.

The gas they use is CO2, I've read that when concentrated it forms carbonic acid in the lungs, which is said to hurt like hell.

If you watch footage of the process, you can hear the pigs scream in pain and fear as they're lowered into the heavier-than-air CO2.

It's brutal, a slug to the noggin is far more humane, in my view.

I won't share a link here, but plenty on the tube for those with a morbid curiosity.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I would agree with you the quickest way possible and by surprise, sure it's a sad thing but it's either that or no bacon or sausage, and there's always the fact if we didn't eat them they wouldn't have had life in the first place.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Why is this life/world so cruel to the cutest and most innocent creatures? Makes me hate it.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462

Why is this life/world so cruel to the cutest and most innocent creatures? Makes me hate it.

Why are animals made of food if we're not supposed to eat them?

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Because they taste so good?
Humans are the only predators with a bit of decency.

Try and find solace in the fact that we don't 'play' with our prey once caught.
And once in a while the hunter becomes the hunted.

It's the way nature works.
Be a predator, or be faster than the predator trying to eat you.
It's a race every living creature has been running since existence.

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Rabbits should only have carrots as a treat every once in a while. They don't process sugar like we do and it will give them diabetes if fed carrots too often... Probably not the best for healthy meat.

Thank you, good info.
Wonder what the best diet would be for a rabbit to get the tastiest meat.

I know they have no fat, so tough luck on marbling.
But artisan rabbit could become a thing.

I wish there were more rabbit and duck farms.
Cooking a rabbit inside a duck could yield nice results hmmmm...
edit on 3-4-2019 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Thank you, good info. Wonder what the best diet would be for a rabbit to get the tastiest meat.

Their diet is primarily hay, and honestly that would probably bring some great results just like grass fed cows.

I know they have no fat, so tough luck on marbling. But artisan rabbit could become a thing.

I'm sure there are some outdoorsmen who would tell us they are the artisans in that realm haha.

I wish there were more rabbit and duck farms. Cooking a rabbit inside a duck could yield nice results hmmmm...

Or you could confit the rabbit in duck fat

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther

Because they taste so good?
Humans are the only predators with a bit of decency.

Try and find solace in the fact that we don't 'play' with our prey once caught.
And once in a while the hunter becomes the hunted.

It's the way nature works.
Be a predator, or be faster than the predator trying to eat you.
It's a race every living creature has been running since existence.

I get it. I accept it. It doesn't mean I have to like it.
This world is full of all kinda of cruelty and it certainly is not fair or kind.

That said, it doesn't mean I have to like it. It bothers me a lot every day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join