It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU internet reform passes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The EU has done it again. It's got through another massively controversial and easily abusable piece of legislation.

Aeticle 11 and 13 of the EU's Copyright reform are truly terrifying.
This will make content providers hugely paranoid and probably filter out info that should be seen.

Smaller platforms will get slayed by this. They wont have the means to put copyright filters on OR negotiate copyright use with creators.

ATS might be hit by this. If you link to news.

europa.eu...

I think this immortal (as its been revived multiple times) law should be stopped before it breaks the internet!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

edit on 3262019 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

It's the EU, no one will stop this. They have no accountability, just unelected bureaucrats as far as the eye can see.

An authoritarian utopia.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As an American and someone who doesn't follow laws that are ridiculous, I will happily provide memes to my European brothers and sisters for their usage in Europe (for a reasonable price.) Can the European Union see my middle fingers from that far away?

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more on this here. Seems to be a big thing with a lot of folks right now.

I looked into it a bit, but still struggling to find exactly what it is.

The linked article in the OP is a little too "doubleplusgood" for my liking.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The Copyright Directive makes internet platforms liable for content uploaded to their sites. Companies like Facebook, YouTube and Google will be responsible for checking all uploaded content for copyrighted material, per Article 13 (renamed Article 17). And news aggregators will be required to pay for snippets that go beyond "individual words or very short extracts," thanks to Article 11. Critics say both articles could restrict how content is shared online. YouTube has protested the rules as a threat to the creative economy, and Google -- perhaps the most vocal critic to date -- has gone as far as to say the directive would create a digital ghost town. Even the EU Parliament has gone back and forth on the matter.

engadget.com - EU passes divisive Article 13 copyright law.

It covers all kinds of crazy stuff like blocking offensive content, or content that is deemed offensive, just like China does. And covers content like movies and music, but also written material, spoken word, pictures (including memes), and about anything the web already has on it!

Not sure they can do all that and police it but it looks like they are going to try.

Oh what wretched times we live in when a grown man says, "Ni", to an old woman!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
The EU has done it again. It's got through another massively controversial and easily abusable piece of legislation

This is the problem with the EU that caused many people to vote for the UK to leave. The mechanisms that created this new law has not been scrutinised by sovereign parliaments. It's an imposed law.

Where are the UK MPs, who are so keen on voting, in with this imposition? Where's the local debate? Another EU law pushed down.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The European black market for memes is gonna be lit.

Every back alley will have its own meme pusher.

Only the very wealthy will be able to afford Pepe the Frog memes...

Tragic.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
The European black market for memes is gonna be lit.

Every back alley will have its own meme pusher.

Only the very wealthy will be able to afford Pepe the Frog memes...

Tragic.

"I got your Pikachu memes 20 euro for a meg"

"I got your spidermand pointing at spiderman 30 a meg"

"I got your pepe the frog memes that will bring you to outer space 100 a meg... A little goes a long way with this one, so don't get carried away"

"Oh, and if you boof them, you get 100% of the effects"

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Thank you sir!

All the Super Happy Fun Time language got my hackles up

With the amount of copyright issues that sites like YouTube are already experiencing.. legislation like this is clearly created by people that are completely out of touch with what they are legislating on. Frankly, i think weve got some major issues to hammer out LONG before we even think about things like this. If I'm understanding correctly, pretty much any commentary that uses the source material in any way is going to be on a razor's edge right off the bat. That's going to hammer a lot of people.

Gotta love how they sell it by using vague wording to imply this is to protect the little guy. Ye olde switcheroo!

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The internet is gonna be a totally different place soon, they don't want us to freely communicate.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Every society needs rules. I don't have a problem with it. If someone abuses it or finds some loophole revise it. Government is not always a bad thing. Anarchy is much worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a
Government is not always a bad thing.

Actually, yeah, it is.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't understand what people are complaining about:

“We welcome the approval of the Directive on copyright in the Digital Single Market by the European Parliament. This Directive protects creativity in the digital age and ensures that the EU citizens benefit from wider access to content and new guarantees to fully protect their freedom of expression online. The new rules will strengthen our creative industries, which represent 11.65 million jobs, 6.8% of GDP and are worth €915,000 million per year.

Today's vote ensures the right balance between the interests of all players – users, creators, authors, press – while putting in place proportionate obligations on online platforms.
(snip)

Source

I think people are so anti-Government nothing government does matters. If you spend time producing good content you would not want it to have no value because people are anarchists.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

edit on 26/3/2019 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

a

Actually, yeah, it is.

Actually, having no government is worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Every society needs rules. I don't have a problem with it. If someone abuses it or finds some loophole revise it. Government is not always a bad thing. Anarchy is much worse.

I knew you'd drank the Kool Aid where big government social programs and welfare were concerned, but it actually surprises me to see that you've dived head first into endorsing government corporatism, which is absolutely at the root of Article 13. This is one of those issues that seems to unite portions of the two parties while dividing the same portions within individual party mindsets.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Not having our existing pile of crap government would be like everyone not having cancer.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

a

Actually, yeah, it is.

There is a third option, though... having a small government that sticks purely to the mandates its Founders bestowed upon them and does not step outside of that very confined expectation of leadership and lawmaking. You groused the other day about the fact that NJ won't legalize Marijuana anytime soon... guess what? The same mindset behind Article 13 in the EU is behind the continued criminalization of marijuana in the various US state houses. Protect the corporate Big Pharma's interests and the continued robust income of the Privately run prisons for profit scams in New Jersey, even at the expense of the Peoples' freedoms. You're attacking yourself in your confusion.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Im guessing this has something to do with the mosque shooting video flooding across social media and making providers very nervous.

posted on Mar, 26 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
As an American and someone who doesn't follow laws that are ridiculous, I will happily provide memes to my European brothers and sisters for their usage in Europe...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join