It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Defaming Conservatives - Congressman Devin Nunes Sues Twitter for 250 Million Dollars.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The only thing I find funny about this is that Nunes co-sponsored the "Discouraging Frivolous Lawsuits Act". The actual complaint itself reads like a parody, and if serious goes against the free speech that so many would like here. He's going after 2 meme accounts called "Devin Nunes Mom" and "Devin Nunes Cow", which are just that. Parody Meme accounts that make fun of Devin, and the rest not knowing how the algorithym and bot banning works.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The funny thing is, guess what is suddenly trending on twitter?

Trump, America, Jesus, and Texas. Quite the coincidence.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: trb71
He's going after 2 meme accounts called "Devin Nunes Mom" and "Devin Nunes Cow", which are just that. Parody Meme accounts that make fun of Devin...

What a thin-skinned asshat. Clown gets into politics and doesn't think people will goof on him.

Hey, Dev, you're a tool. Sue me.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: trb71

I'm not sure that twitter can be covered by free speech laws when they censor, ban, and suspend people for content which doesn't violate their terms. At that point they become an editorial staff. As such, they're responsible for the things posted on their website. You can't pick and choose content then say "we're not responsible for our content," obviously they are.

I haven't read the whole complaint, but as for the two accounts you've mentioned how is he going after them? Libel? Defamation? He'll need a strong argument to get them and if they're convicted under those pretenses, you can bet they went far beyond free speech.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He's not going after them for meme's. He's going after them for a coordinated attack with liz mair and admins at twitter.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
I haven't read the whole complaint, but as for the two accounts you've mentioned how is he going after them? Libel? Defamation? He'll need a strong argument...

He'll need a magical argument since the Supreme Court has already ruled that public officials cannot sue for either 'unless the defendant knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of the statements truth or falsity'.

His case will get tossed like it should. Crybaby bitch needs to grow some thicker skin.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He's not going after them for meme's. He's going after them for a coordinated attack with liz mair and admins at twitter.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

He hasn't gone after anything yet since the complaint against them doesn't even have a case number at this time. However, he specifically mentions the two memes as the plaintiffs in his suit.

It'll be fun watching the mental gymnastics about how the government can stop people from saying mean things about it. Obvious thin skinned crybaby bitch is obvious.

edit on 19-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The 1st Amendment only applies to the government. Twitter is a private company.

Do you believe that if I get banned by ATS I would be able to win a $250 million lawsuit against them?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Ah ha ha ha.... Good luck Devin.... good luck.... glad you have the money to waste.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yes free speech...
Except that its their venue and they write the rules. Much like there really is no free speech here on ATS... yes we can have our opinions and thoughts no problem there. But there are restraints on what we can and cannot say here. Same thing. I doubt he will win a single cent.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Like my dinner table.

Sure you have free speech.... but ya better not plan on using it here.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

My Space was firmly in place when facebook came on the scene. Twitter not too far behind. I first saw twitter in 2008 myself. I think My Space just got squeezed out because more people joined facebook. My Space was around in 2007 that I personally know of.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
www.politico.com...
Seems this is actually a real thing

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) is suing Twitter and three of its users for $250 million in damages, alleging that he was defamed and that the social media juggernaut engages in the “shadow-banning” of conservative opinions and selectively enforces its own terms of service to benefit opponents of the Republican Party.

$250 mil is a lot
Seems he means serious business

Nunes also claims in the 40-page lawsuit, dated Monday and addressed to the Virginia Circuit Court in Henrico County, that Twitter sought to influence his 2018 re-election race and interfere with his investigation into Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and Russian involvement in the 2016 election.

Election interference you say? That is interesting. I suspect there is more to this than a defamation suit.

“The substance and timing of the tweets, retweets, replies and likes by Mair, Devin Nunes’ Mom and Devin Nunes’ cow demonstrates that all three bad actors were and are engaged in a joint effort, together and with others, to defame Nunes and interfere” with his congressional duties, Nunes’ attorney claimed in the suit. “The full scope of the conspiracy, including the names of all participants and the level of involvement of donors and members of the Democratic Party, is unknown at this time and will be the subject of discovery in this action,” the complaint says.

Well now there it is.
The "discovery" in this will be very interesting.
I submit it may be the point of the entire episode.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Hell, MySpace has still gotten 7.5 million visitors in the past 6 months.

Anyone that claims Twitter has some kind of monopoly is a straight up idiot.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Nunes comes across as paranoid.

Also, how can tweets have any kind of impact on his Congressional duties?

That sounds like he wasn't able to do his job because he was too busy looking at Twitter.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

The first amendment isn't a license to lie.

What lies?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Nunes comes across as paranoid.

Does that disqualify him from filing suit?

Also, how can tweets have any kind of impact on his Congressional duties?

Seems that is what he is asking the court to decide?
A far cry from a simple "defamation suit".
It appears to me an ingenious way to "discover" what is going on on twitter.

That sounds like he wasn't able to do his job because he was too busy looking at Twitter.

It appears to me he is saying it was attempted obstruction and election interference.
Bet it was the russians.
Either way it will be interesting to see if it goes forward, and if it does what comes out in "discovery".

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

If he can prove a shadow ban... how can he?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Yes of course....
lets try the case in the court of conservative opinion.
I wonder how thats going to go.
Kidding...
I know how its going to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join