It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preferred Pronouns in Email Signatures Are Now a Thing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So...I just gotta ask this. Over the last year or so, I've noticed that more and more of my colleagues are including their "preferred pronouns" in their email signatures. They look like this:

Joe Snowflake
Manager of Pointless Paper Pushing
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Is this really becoming a thing? Or is it just in my industry...I work in higher ed, and people around here just LOVE to virtue signal. And it seems to me that's exactly what this is, a calling card for SJW's to self-identify as leftists to other leftists. Otherwise, what's the purpose really? Is there some unknown epidemic of people misusing pronouns in personal emails to the point where we need to list them in every single professional message we send out?

Is this happening in other industries too, or do I just need to get out of the academia ivory tower???

edit on 6-3-2019 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Subsonic

Never heard of such a thing and it’s a good thing that I haven’t because I would slap the person the next time I saw them.
What happened to Mr, Mrs or Ms?
It seems that it’s just another symptom of the overall mental illness.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I think it's just a way to trigger people who care what others call themselves.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

I completely disagree. I believe these morons engaging in this practice actually believe in the BS they are propagating.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I passed English in high school, I know how to apply standard pronouns in my writing.

However, if You prefer a non-standard application in reference to yourself, so noted and “OK” by me.

“Infinite Diversity In Combination”

Live long and prosper.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

My good buddy works at Google. When I first saw his signature line, talking about his preferred pronouns, I honestly couldn't even believe it. Looking back, it's not surprising at all that tech giants based in Silicon Valley would have "progressive" corporate culture
edit on 6-3-2019 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Hmmm my wife has a few "adjective ladened nouns" she likes to use to refer to me on occasion.
Maybe I should add those to my email signature, it may save some folks some time.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

I don't give a rat's ass one way or the other personally what people want themselves called -- I go off the visual clues like everyone else does.

However, your comment gives me a great idea of how to troll busybody people with just a forum sig

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My good buddy works at Google. When I first saw his subject line, talking about his preferred pronouns, I honestly couldn't even believe it. Looking back, it's not surprising at all that tech giants based in Silicon Valley would have "progressive" corporate culture

For some reason, men identifying as "women" are disproportionately high in the tech industry. I've never seen anything official or anyone crunch the numbers, but that seems to be the consensus of what I've read. Pretty much anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth.

But so you know I'm not just making stuff up, here's a discussion about it on Quora: Why Do Many Transgender Women Work in the IT Industry

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Just ignore it.

Probably corporate pressure or social pressure to feel like they are conforming to "new norms".

It's all just a bunch of nonsense, it's up to rational people to just disregard this and "soldier" on. Certainly don't advise purposefully pissing anyone off. But no need to jump on the crazy train to stupidville.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I am an open, giving, loving, sharing person who cares deeply about the feelings of others.

And I want to slap the hot holy piss out of any weenie that does this.

Namaste

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Hmmm..

Why not just write Mr. Joe Snowflake?

That's how you identify gender in a signature.
edit on 6/3/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Hmmm..

Another reason to ignore this garbage.

When having a conversation with someone(in an email no less). You don't use those pronouns, you use their name, or "you", not he/him.

So what does it matter? Other than bandwagon points.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I like referring to these clowns as it/it/its, because it's generic, applies to any of these morons and it can be fun adding descriptive pronouns, adjectives and expletives lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Hmmm..

Well that's exactly it, right? If you have a non-gender specific name, like Jamie, or Pat, or Chris, it's an easy enough thing to clarify by signing off with a Mr. or Ms. to clarify. Why this extra pronoun business? Even if your trans-whatever and want to be considered a different gender, then sign off as Ms. Joe Snowflake, then everyone knows how you expect to be addressed.

I just think there's actually something deeper there, a subtle signal to others who are 'in the know' in the progressive movement. It's one of those things that is not at all about what it pretends to be, it's something completely different.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

I like referring to these clowns as it/it/its, because it's generic, applies to any of these morons and it can be fun adding descriptive pronouns, adjectives and expletives lol

Cheers - Dave

I identify as a sadistic fictitious serial killer from a movie.

"Gallop,
I have the invoices. Where should I send them?
Bob
Pronouns: He/Him/His"

"Dear Bob.
It sends the invoices to HR for approval or else it gets the hose again."

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think I shall put my prefered pronoun is

Biggus Dickus

gotta put that in my email brb.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I think I shall put my prefered pronoun is

Biggus Dickus

gotta put that in my email brb.

No Biggus Dickus Pickus, though..

makes the office very uncomfortable.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   
FCD
Master of Disaster
Pronouns: It/They/RUN!!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Haven't seen it in the real world yet. And I work for an unbelievably PC corporation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join