It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support for the Patriot Players Skipping the WH Visit.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have already read that there are New England Patriots that will be skipping the traditional congratulatory trip to the White House for winning Super Bowl LIII. I am in full support of their decision. Unlike the fools that take a knee in the NFL who end up disrespecting our entire nation and specifically our armed forces (this may be inadvertent, but still a fact for many Americans); declining an invitation to the White House is a fully appropriate form of political protest.

In skipping the White House visit you are showing your disapproval of the Administration in office. It is specific and appropriate and one that I too would avail myself of if the circumstances were reversed. If I had been invited to visit the White House during the Obama Presidency I would have skipped the invitation as well. If you attend you are giving your tacit approval for policies that you don’t support and respect to someone who you don’t believe deserves that respect.

So, I wanted to voice my support for the players skipping their White House visit. Bravo to you for engaging in an appropriate protest and you have my respect (not that you need it). I fully understand your position.

PS I am also happy to take you invitation if you aren’t going. I would love to meet this POTUS.

edit on 2019/2/5 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I usually despise your political views , but i got to reward you with a S + F here.
Minus the wish of meeting the current president.

Refreshing

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have already read that there are New England Patriots that will be skipping the traditional congratulatory trip to the White House for winning Super Bowl LIII. I am in full support of their decision. Unlike the fools that take a knee in the NFL who end up disrespecting our entire nation and specifically our armed forces (this may be inadvertent, but still a fact for many Americans); declining an invitation to the White House I a fully appropriate form of political protest.

In skipping the White House visit you are showing your disapproval of the Administration in office. It is specific and appropriate and one that I too would avail myself of if the circumstances were reversed. If I had been invited to visit the White House during the Obama Presidency I would have skipped the invitation as well. If you attend you are giving your tacit approval for policies that you don’t support and respect to someone who you don’t believe deserves that respect.

So, I wanted to voice my support for the players skipping their White House visit. Bravo to you for engaging in an appropriate protest and you have my respect (not that you need it). I fully understand your position.

PS I am also happy to take you invitation if you aren’t going. I would love to meet this POTUS.

So what exactly are they "protesting" or showing disapproval of? This is my issue... it is virtue signaling.

First, I was not a huge fan of Obama. However, I'd still visit him at the WH or take any opportunity to meet with him. I could then express my disagreement with whatever XYZ policy and have my voice heard.

So instead of grown men crying about you don't want to go to the White House because you don't like Trump, take it as an opportunity to have a productive discussion / meeting.

Second, you are there to celebrate a national win in football. You can put politics aside for one day to celebrate. Why does everything have to be about protesting and politics?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
i didn't realize how important the actions of football players, when not in a game, have become. I don't see what they say and do as any more meaningful then other average citizens.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's nothing more than whiny baby bull shot. You didn't see conservatives refusingto go to the white house when Obama or Clinton were in office.

I wouldn't support it if they did. I simply don't support whiny baby bull shot and you can quote me on that.

Jaden

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have already read that there are New England Patriots that will be skipping the traditional congratulatory trip to the White House for winning Super Bowl LIII. I am in full support of their decision. Unlike the fools that take a knee in the NFL who end up disrespecting our entire nation and specifically our armed forces (this may be inadvertent, but still a fact for many Americans); declining an invitation to the White House is a fully appropriate form of political protest.

I am for them. This administration is the craziest in my lifetime. In fact ever

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

So instead of grown men crying about you don't want to go to the White House because you don't like Trump, take it as an opportunity to have a productive discussion / meeting.

Second, you are there to celebrate a national win in football. You can put politics aside for one day to celebrate. Why does everything have to be about protesting and politics?

Sport, ever since it became a business, has been used as a political tool.
Dont be foolish.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

You didn't see conservatives refusingto go to the white house when Obama or Clinton were in office.

You didnt see football players who are left leaning refusing to visit W. Bush either.
What does it tell you about the current idiot in chief then?

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

If 2 gay people marrying doesn't affect me, or Mike calling himself 'Michelle ' and wears a wig, doesn't affect me.

Overpaid athletes' schedule and itinerary shouldn't bother me in any way

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

So what exactly are they "protesting" or showing disapproval of? This is my issue... it is virtue signaling.

That is the funny part...what is it they are protesting? They originally were protesting police brutality in support of BLM and the whole BLM happened under Obama with riots etc, anyone remember that? We had Obama basically do nothing and so maybe they should have protested him, but now we have Trump who has done some of the most significant changes to the criminal justice system in generations and they are what protesting that? Protesting the release of a good number of black people that should not be in jail, but were put there by a bad "system", I guess that is wrong in their books.

I'm afraid it all comes down to Orange Man Bad...

edit on 5-2-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError
I usually despise your political views , but i got to reward you with a S + F here.
Minus the wish of meeting the current president.

Refreshing

Thanks, I guess, lol.

My political views are pro-freedom so it surprises me that you would be against them. Personal liberty is my politics, however, I also am anti-Fed so I could see why that would rub some folks the wrong way. There is a faction of the population that believes in Big Government and the nanny state.

P.S. I try to star everyone that responds to my posts because it makes me glad someone read them. Thank you for the support on this issue and for responding.
edit on 2019/2/5 by Metallicus because: Eta

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: iplay1up2

I am for them. This administration is the craziest in my lifetime. In fact ever

Really...people screaming about addition to an already built wall is crazy, but things like using the IRS to attack groups, fast and furious gun running, shutting down FOIA etc are normal ops...lol

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

That is the funny part...what is it they are protesting? They originally were protesting police brutality in support of BLM and the whole BLM happened under Obama with riots etc, anyone remember that? We had Obama basically do nothing and so maybe they should have protested him, but now we have Trump who has done some of the most significant changes to the criminal justice system in generations and they are what protesting that? Protesting the release of a good number of black people that should not be in jail, but were put there by a bad "system", I guess that is wrong in their books.

I'm afraid it all comes down to Orange Man Bad...

Which is why I can't take these people seriously...

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Harmon and the McCourty borthers are the only ones I've heard comment on possibly not attending. I think a huge difference here, when compared to the Eagles or Warriors debacle, is the fact that these three players have handled this very professionally. They did not wave their arms in the air to virtue signal, announcing to all that "I'm not going to the White House with this man as president" as some insecure multimillionare attention whores have done the past 2 years. They were asked if they would go, all of them said "probably not" and left it at that. Again, the Patriot organization is the definition of class. I would expect roughly 2/3rds of the team to attend the event, with some veterans having already been there (5 times in Brady's case!) more times than pretty much any sport's team has ever visited the White House, it probably lacks some of the excitement that a player's first or second visit would hold.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
These players are protesting because they're racist.

Prove me wrong.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Meh. Patriots suck. Hope Trump just serves those triskets with chunks of velveta on it.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
While I fully support the players' right to do whatever they please in terms of refusing to visit the White House, I really don't understand what they are protesting other than what some hostile foreign country convinced them to protest through a manipulative informational war campaign against our society.

It continues to confound me that so many people can't grasp the concept that Trump wasn't the end game of this information war that has been waged against the United States - the reaction to Trump is the result they are seeking. Just as the reaction to whatever far left president that will inevitably succeed him will be as well. Everyone is feeding into what they have convinced themselves they are standing against.

As I've said numerous times, Trump is a byproduct of this problem not the source of it. He is an opportunist that took the opportunity that was provided to him by the very people who think they are fighting against him. How you win against these types is to engage them in cogent, civil discussion because they have no weapon or response against it. If the democrats would realize this fact they would win 2020 in a landslide. When you close off discourse with these types with silent, stoic protest you are providing them with the opportunity to fill the void you are creating and their interpretation of your actions will be defined by them.

It is the same principle that is happening all over the country on college campuses when these alt-right groups show up to "protest". The reaction to them is either match their militant idiocy or just simply shut down campus and run away. The shut down campus scenario happened in my home town recently because the administrators said they feared a "Charlottesville-like scenario". While any loss of life do to disagreement or ill-communication is very much tragic, Charlottesville happened because of the matching militant idiocy approach, not cordial discourse or challenging ideas with your own ideas. And only 1 person loss their life. Like I said, it is tragic - but how much more tragic is it going to be when autocratic opportunists the world over keep capitalizing on the void being created by people's refusal to engage in civil discourse and share ideas and coalesce their viewpoints. Historically when this happens it typically means loss of life in the multi-millions.

How amazing would it be if one of these players calmly and cogently challenged Trump on whatever policies they disagreed with him on? That would do so much more to open up fruitful dialogue between the divided masses then simply running away from the fight like cowards - which is what they are doing by not going to the White House.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

originally posted by: Masterjaden

You didn't see conservatives refusingto go to the white house when Obama or Clinton were in office.

You didnt see football players who are left leaning refusing to visit W. Bush either.
What does it tell you about the current idiot in chief then?

James Harrison refused to visit the WH under Bush. That said, Bush was a bit different in so much as the man had come from professional sports, having been the managing general partner of the Texas Rangers. I think athletes greatly liked him and he greatly liked athletes.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The same ones did the same last year.

Their choice to miss out.

I can almost feel the two sides coming together now because of their actions. It's a healing I tell ya.

They have made a difference. Lol.

posted on Feb, 5 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well if you’ll remember, Tom Brady had better things to do when Obama was in office. No protest, he just said he had prior engagements. Certain groups in the media were aghast that he would insult darling Obama.
Let’s see if they rip these guys for skipping Trump and protesting ...,uh..I don’t know. Increasing jobs?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join