It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If MAGA is a symbol of hate...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I see a lot of insecurity in this thread.

And as soon as I read something like "the left is illogic, the leftists are stupid" these are sentences of projection, of trying to keep those same statements away from your "side".

The people identifying as "left" do not care.

I do not know if I care about MAGA, as there is no real pre-defined space in us-american political spectrum for me, so be great or not be great, that depends on the values of Greatness hidden behind this slogan.

What are those values, what would make America great again?

Be a bigger hegemonial wanna-be-ruler than now? Yeah, thanks no.

Going back to the 80s? 70s? no, not the 60s, those I think are not at the core of the Greatness this slogan brings in the heart of followers. The 50s? Really?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
I mean, what does it really mean? what timeline would you want "America" to return to? when was it the alleged "Greatest"

Native Genocide? War? Slavery?

I'm not positive because I'm not a mind reader but think about this---the JFK years and the Space Race set the scene when Trump was a young man. Kennedy made us believe in ourselves. He made us believe we could reach the moon and beyond.

Was that a perfect time? Not at all. We were going to the moon at the same time our leaders were being shot in the head in public. Those space shots were inspiring to elementary kids like me. The drama was real and we saw it as progress. The economy was good. The World War II vets were taking their combat bonuses and starting businesses or buying homes and appliances. Others were completing college and beginning their careers.

You can concentrate on all the negatives or you can look for some positive and have some balance in your viewpoint.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
i'm sure this isn't a genuine question asked in hope of an answer to enlighten, but here we go;

it's a dog whistle. the words themselves don't matter, it's the will of the group behind the words.
just like every single other motto held up by any other group in the history of history.
MAGA just seems to be one that, fair or not, has attracted a lot of attention as a rallying point for overt racists.

Do you have an original thought or do you intend to just parrot what CNN tell you to?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

gotta love how i went to pains to be as non-accusatory as possible, not casting judgement but just putting out the facts, and it only took ten minutes for a poor little ats boy to get his feelings hurt

well sweetheart, you want the tea? here it is;

for a lot of people, the "return to greatness" is in fact specifically a return to cultural dominance by the straight white male - a house in the suburbs, a wife who stays home and has dinner ready, children who are seen and not heard. Good Christian Values, they call them. and the way those values are espoused is inherently anti-queer and anti-black.
why, not an hour ago i read a post on this site by some angry man longing for "the good old days when the homos were too scared to come out of the closet cus they knew we'd kill them".

maybe that's not the case for all of the people who support this slogan? maybe it's not even true of a majority. But it's definitely true of some, and if you believe in it as a cause and won't do anything to stop or mitigate those people, you may as well be one yourself.
It's not enough to just say you're not racist or homophobic, you gotta show it in your actions.
trust me, it will be extremely appreciated.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

So great is an Subjective term, everyone has their own "timeline" of utopic "Greatness" so the universal statement of "Make America Great AGAIN" is empty

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

edit on 29-1-2019 by XAnarchistX because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
a reply to: watchitburn

gotta love how i went to pains to be as non-accusatory as possible, not casting judgement but just putting out the facts, and it only took ten minutes for a poor little ats boy to get his feelings hurt

well sweetheart, you want the tea? here it is;

for a lot of people, the "return to greatness" is in fact specifically a return to cultural dominance by the straight white male - a house in the suburbs, a wife who stays home and has dinner ready, children who are seen and not heard. Good Christian Values, they call them. and the way those values are espoused is inherently anti-queer and anti-black.
why, not an hour ago i read a post on this site by some angry man longing for "the good old days when the homos were too scared to come out of the closet cus they knew we'd kill them".

maybe that's not the case for all of the people who support this slogan? maybe it's not even true of a majority. But it's definitely true of some, and if you believe in it as a cause and won't do anything to stop or mitigate those people, you may as well be one yourself.
It's not enough to just say you're not racist or homophobic, you gotta show it in your actions.
trust me, it will be extremely appreciated.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 05:46 AM
link   
it's just because one group of sheep use the slogan to anger another group of sheep.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

See, that's where you completely miss the point.

I don't have to prove or say I'm not racist or homophobic. It should be taken for granted until proven otherwise by actions.

That's where the anti-leftist push is coming from. The more liberal spectrum of the political divide is letting the radical extremists dictate the national discussion and influence policy.

Claims of wanting equal rights are disingenuous, everyone already has equal rights. What the extremists want is special treatment at the expense of others rights.

While there are old leftovers of people on the conservative side still trying to fight obortion and gay marriage, those voices are marginalized by common sense. And will be gone in a few years. But the extreme left just gets louder and tries to out do each other.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: XAnarchistX

How about back to the time when you could wear a hat without getting called a bigot?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap
They are definitely spraying you Americans with something because you're all getting very much dumber by the minute.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qboneq

It is popular nonsense since R. Reagan time… it seems sales good to low intelligent crowds.

Like Yes We Can ?

Or

Onward Together?

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: GenerationGap
Some folks, not many but a simple few, seem to decry the slogan "Make America Great Again" as a form of hate speech.

To those very few people I'd like to point out that if we are to accept that as true, that MAGA is hate speech, then we must extend that same logic, if we are to be logical, to the slogan "Hope and Change".

If America was already great, why would we Hope for Change? If Making America Great Again is hate speech, surely Hoping America Changes is hate speech as well.

But again, this is only true if we approach things logically. If we are illogical, well then it doesn't really matter as being irrationally upset, frustrated, and simply lashing out to lash out is the natural order of things when logic is ignored; which I think is the case for those few that deem MAGA as some sort of hate speech. Thankfully there's not many illogical folks that have lost their head in that regard, though even those few seems like too much.
Couldn't agree more.

Both parties are hateful of average American citizens.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It's not a symbol of hate, it's a symbol of stupid.

Funny, that's what we used to joke about whenever we saw a car with an Obama or later Hillary bumper sticker. We'd say, "Look! They're with Stupid." and chuckle as we drove by.

Just like after Hillary cheated Bernie Bros out of the nomination, we'd ask "Feeling Berned yet?" whenever we drove by a Bernie sticker.
edit on 29-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

And for a lot of people, that's what they were told it meant, so that's what they decided it would mean. They then decided it meant that camps would be opening up and they would be soon frog marched off to those camps and the ovens. They've been reacting as if this action was incipient even since Hillary lost the election.

For the rest of us, all it meant was that we would be taxed less, the economy would be burdened less so it would have a chance to recover, if it recovered there would be more jobs, and the country would start roaring to life and doing what it does best -- providing real opportunity to everyone who dares take it.
edit on 29-1-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I agree with your post, but my frustration is that those that know it is wrong, do nothing. The whoo whoo keeps getting more Twilight Zoneish because too many do nothing.

The worse curse of social media is that the majority think that just posting about the ills of our society us enough. It is not. If you don't put some skin in the game it is just words floating in the ether.

I will warn you. It will not be easy to stop this madness. All those that post support are not willing to leave their homes to stand with you on the line.

All those that post are not willing to give up their comfort or convenience, or to stop giving their money to those that support the madness.

You don't have to win every battle to win the war, as we can easily see.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Let's keep things simple.

It's a hat.

It's red.

There is a slogan.

It says "Make America Great Again".

It was created during a political campaign.

It represented support for a candidate.

It represents support for the President.

Anything beyond that is conjecture.

People create blank spaces in their own head that shouldn't be there, and then fill in those blanks with what justifies their preconception.

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It’s a simple slogan for the simple minded. Most of which are bigoted racist scum. a reply to: GenerationGap

posted on Jan, 29 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
I mean, what does it really mean? what timeline would you want "America" to return to? when was it the alleged "Greatest"

Native Genocide? War? Slavery?
To restore America to it's better times. From 911 on, we fell, Administration after administration. A lot of what America stood for was battered and bruised. With the final sell-out, the Kenyan suspect President 0bama.
Had we remained on that path, calamity would have ensued.

President Trump showed we could take back government, there was hope, not just corruption and nepotism.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join