It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal employees, and retirees

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I am a retired U.S. Coast Guard enlisted person. This shut down now has reached my level. As of 1/22/2019 a cutoff date for processing pay for the retirees has passed. So now none of the retirees will get payed on February 1st. The A** hole Democrats and refusing to even negotiate with the Republicans and President Trump is WRONG in so many ways. Because the Coast Guard is currently in the Department of Homeland Security, and not part of Department of Defense is the reason this branch of our military has not been payed since the shut down began. I just hope the Democratic begin doing their jobs instead of holding 800k + employees has a bargaining chip. Nancy Pelosi needs to be removed from her leadership role ASAP.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
there is no reasonable rational reason for Nancy Pelosi to refuse the wall.

she has drawn a line in the sand and refuses to move.

her actions benefit no one.

all I can think of is that her California billionaire friends don't want the wall and she is doing their bidding.

shameful.

ps; thank you for your service

edit on 24-1-2019 by ElGoobero because: add content

edit on 24-1-2019 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Thanks for you service.
Perhaps soon our elected officials will remember it is their job to serve.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Thank you for your service Ceeker.

I have been relatively quite on this issue, as I have an unpopular opinion, and that is everyone is to blame on this, but the Republicans hold more of the blame.

The Republicans held the House, Senate, and the White house, so if they were elected based off of their parties platform, they should have gotten this done. (keep in mind, I'm indifferent about the wall, I think that isn't the end all be all for this issue, but that's another conversation).

Both parties have weaponized this issue for posturing in the 2020 election, using federal employees as hostages for the negotiation. Beyond just the employees, some citizens have felt the impact, and that number will only rise should the shutdown continue.

I say this, because if we as citizens truly want to not only fix this instance, but prevent it, than it's important we see things for what they are.
edit on 24-1-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I hope all turns out for the best for you, but I will say for the fifteen billionth time

"I will build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

Forget the vindictiveness of the Dems for a moment, Trump did write a check that his @$$ couldn't cash when he made that statement. It all started with those words, if the fool had kept his mouth shut you would be getting paid.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

This one is totally on Pelosi and the democrats now. She said to cancel the sotu address two weeks before its scheduled date meaning she wasnt going to try to resolve anything.

They have now refused to meet trump to discuss his proposal.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This one is totally on Pelosi and the democrats now. She said to cancel the sotu address two weeks before its scheduled date meaning she wasnt going to try to resolve anything.

They have now refused to meet trump to discuss his proposal.

+1
POTUS has offered to negotiate and made counter-offers. Pelosi has refused to move. at this point its all on her.

only reason I can think this wasn't done last two years they figured didn't have votes in the senate. because of their stupid cloture rule it seems that 51 senators are no longer a majority; stuff like this they need 60.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The Media is trying to tell you nobody wants the wall anymore.

And just look at all their credibility!

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

That's BS that the Coast guards pay isn't categorized as military in the first place! 2002 ole Bush put you guys under the homeland security blanket. Why would your pay be switched from military???? Doesn't make any damn sense...

Every day more and more things come up to make one wonder just who our government truly represents...

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
You are not the only one with that opinion and for those reasons.

I have been relatively quite on this issue, as I have an unpopular opinion, and that is everyone is to blame on this, but the Republicans hold more of the blame.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

That's BS that the Coast guards pay isn't categorized as military in the first place! 2002 ole Bush put you guys under the homeland security blanket. Why would your pay be switched from military???? Doesn't make any damn sense...

Every day more and more things come up to make one wonder just who our government truly represents...

the Coast Guard was traditionally part of the Treasury department, transferred to the DoD only during wartime.
Bush's xfer to DHS was a reasonable move.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

True, but I'm one of the few who truly hold a level of indifference on the topic in general.

It boils for many down to the wall itself, which is trivial IMO. 5 billion isn't nothing, but in this context it's a drop in the bucket. While I think it would help the day to day of the border patrol, I don't think it does much for addressing the root of the issue.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

"The Republicans held the House, Senate, and the White house, so if they were elected based off of their parties platform, they should have gotten this done."

I've heard this said many times. Really, the Senate has had such a slim majority, neither side really controls it to the point where they could pass whatever they like.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The gop had all the cards and could have played them as they wished. There was a lot of lost opportunity.

"The Wall" is a bs talking point, and you are correct it does very little to fix the issue.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I've heard this said many times. Really, the Senate has had such a slim majority, neither side really controls it to the point where they could pass whatever they like.

If we weren't talking about this issue, I would have no problem getting everyone to agree that Republican and Democrat elected employees jump at the opportunity to sell out their constituents.

Make no mistake, just because in this context people want to pick which evil they hate more, it doesn't change the fact that both are evil.

Putting an (R) or a (D) after your name doesn't change the fact establishment is before it.

link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

True, but I'm one of the few who truly hold a level of indifference on the topic in general.

It boils for many down to the wall itself, which is trivial IMO. 5 billion isn't nothing, but in this context it's a drop in the bucket. While I think it would help the day to day of the border patrol, I don't think it does much for addressing the root of the issue.

I think it will come to a head when the next caravan gets here.

link   

originally posted by: toms54

And to wit this is the same response most of the Trump supporters on ATS give in response; that when they (Republicans) held the majority it was actually a worse time to get the wall funded than after the Democrats took control of the house.

I still have yet to find the logic in that. Rather it would seem Trump(and by proxy the Republicans) saw the Democrats retaking of the house as the opportunity to shift the blame of lack of wall funding away from their own incompetence and onto the sector of elected officials who were in most cases elected specifically because their constituents didn't want the wall.

edit on 04am19famThu, 24 Jan 2019 07:47:50 -0600America/ChicagoThu, 24 Jan 2019 07:47:50 -0600 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
CG was actually DOT (Transportation) before DHS. Maybe Treasury back 200 years ago.

The congress has totally fukd this country and the citizens are too stupid to require efficient government. I hope the young people wake up.

a reply to: ElGoobero

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I think it will come to a head when the next caravan gets here.

the caravans have no effect on the DC residents.
only power play$ in DC get their attention.
I keep waiting for the fed employee unions to make something happen. wtf good are they if they can't do anything about their people not getting paid?

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

We could easily fix the issue, and we could do so very cost effectively, secret is no one wants to fix it, as it is a modern day indentured servitude that we can pretend doesn't exist while hiding behind the facade of "well our party is trying to address it".

1. Change our foreign projection, we have systemically weakened Central and South America for many decades, this problem won't stop until that does.

2. Reform how our country utilizes foreign workers by.
A. Demanding employers use E-verify.
B. Reforming and streamlining the Visa program for temporary and full-time foreign workers.

3. Federally legalize marijuana to send a massive blow to the trans-border drug trade, as that is the cash crop that justifies their roots for less popular drugs.

All of the above would address the problems, and the only money spent would be the waste of time it would take our employees to enact them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join